I guess you are from Canada....since you mention Canadian dealer. I have seen the prices in both US and Cdn $ CDN - $1300 and US $950.

Used is another way to go, as you can typically find older, higher end gear that has been traded in. SOme high end models are designed to be "upgraded" to modern standards on par with current equipment (Linn and Oracle do this for their turntables, and Linn for some electronics.)

Rotel is not a bad choice, considering your budget. Paradigm has good speakers, but nothing in the price range to compare with Axiom and certainly not the Mini Monitors. As a side note, I compared Paradigm, PSB, Mission, Infinity and Axiom all in the same price range. I chose the Axioms. Keep in mind this was many years ago, and things may have changed. But at that time, for $1000, I found them the best. I ranked them: Axiom, PSB, Paradigm, Mission and Infinity.( This is one mans opinion, so easy on the flaming!! ;)

I would not choose a DVD to reproduce music, with any DAC.

As I mentioned earlier, tubes require attention, whereas solid state do not. Something to keep in mind.

I think you have found part of the downside of the hobby. That is finding the proper choices given the different pieces available. If you are doing the upgrades piece by piece, I would suggest picking a piece and using it to evaluate the next purchase. If you are doing it all at once from one dealer, it is easier to test them together.

At one point, most Linn dealers dealt Rega, as Linn recommended Rega's turntables for those who could not afford the Linn LP12. Most of these dealers also sold gear like Naim, Creek, Rotel, Rega and Linn. A dealer like that could solve your problems!

Maybe you could check websites for local dealers?

Regards,

BBIBH