Hey everyone,

I'm working on completing my first HT setup, and my goal is to do it right the first time. I have a few questions still that I'd like to get some opinions / answers on.

I live in a fairly old house, built in the early 40's. Lots of windows, hardwood floors, plaster walls, and a furnace intake right by the TV. I really have only good things to say about my accoustic experiences in this room, but that was mostly live music (Piano, voice, guitar and such). I've heard otherwise about those type of walls and setting up a Home theater though. So, I am a little unsure of what would be the best to purchase and where to place to accomodate the layout of it now. Here are a few pictures showing the layout, and one that has a few areas labeled that I was considering for placement.

The Room is 12x24x10

As you can see there are 2 large open spaces behind the typical surround spots. Would this cause the QS8s to not perform as well? There were direct firing speakers there before. How about the affects on M22's (or maybe M2s) in the rear?

As to the front stage, I was thinking of M60s (2800ish cubic feet deserves those right?). The right M60 would be very close to a doorway, any issue other than obstructing a walkway? I pretty much have to place the center underneath the Samsung HLP5063, and I have been flip flopping between both VPs and perhaps using a M22 inverted... I did like the idea of 2 VP100s one above and below the TV. What about 2 M22s as Centers? :P. The center Axioms are really the only thing I've heard unsatisfactory comments about. Popping P's and hissing S's apparently? Speaker placement would perhaps be the culprit?

Sub... I'm going to hold off on if I get the M60s. With the previous system there was problems with rattling windows, something that has been on the fix list for awhile. However, I will have a friend coming by with a Velodyne that he has had for awhile 10"front 12"down, don't know the model off hand. So I might end up changing my mind.

These will be driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX. DVD's are being done by my PS2 right now, and by a HTPC with an Audigy2 once I transfer it to a new case (similar looking to a receiver).

Currently there is no WAF to worry about, but I am curious what people have to say about the black finish? Haven't seen many pictures with those.

Summary:
1. Placement advice.
2. Speaker Selection: Budget - $1800... for now. Will get Rears later.
a. Fronts M60 (feeling pretty confident about that)
b. Center VP100 (x2?), VP150 (Perhaps too wide for room?), M22 (Cleaner sound)
c. Surround QS8 or M22 due to rear end of room?
3. Do I overthink this waaay too much? Or did you all go through this? :P

Thanks!!

David