nickbuol Wrote:

Personally, I LOVE DTS. I have been using DTS for about 6-7 years, back when not many people knew what it was, so I am a little partial to the DTS Neo.

I'm in the same boat. I used to surf the DTS website and special order DVDs that were formatted in DTS that weren't being sold in stores. I remember getting Saving Private Ryan in the mail and testing it out in both DD and DTS and the difference was HUGE!!!

As asked earlier, the difference B/W DD and DTS is the compression ratio. DTS provides higher fidelity than DD because the format only uses 1/16th compression whereas DD uses 1/4th compression. That is also why when you start a movie in DTS, you have to turn down the volume because it plays much louder. The lower compression ratio as explains why earlier DVDs formatted in DTS did not include any extras due to lack of disk space, but that was years ago and things are different now.

To this day, I look on the back of a DVD to see if it was formatted in DTS and if it was, it is a HUGE purchasing criteria, even if I wasn't necessarily interested in the content of the movie.

The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DTS DVD is a GREAT DVD to showcase your system.

DTS all the way...DD is too soft (fidelity wise) in comparison.

Now having said all of this, there are DTS mixed DVDs where the engineers did a horrible job of mixing and there is no real difference b/w either DD or DTS...these are usually the movies that include both a DD and DTS soundtrack.

Find the movies that are strictly DTS format and you can be rest assured that the mix will be amazing.

50" Panasonic Plasma; VP100; M60Ti; Denon 3805; Infinity sub/rears; HD w/Tivo; Salamander Synergy