In reply to:

Doing the math on 5.1 PCM audio - 6 discrete channels at 44.1/16 gives you a bitrate of 4.25MB/s, and if the claims above are true - that DTS uses 4:1 compression (encoding compression - not compression/limiting) - means they use about 1.06MB/s for what you hear on a DTS track. At 16:1 compression Dolby Digital would be using 0.27MB/s for their track. Since Dolby Digital sounds better than 1/4 as good as DTS, that would be proof that Dolby Labs' compression model is better than DTS' at a given bitrate.

That probably explains why DTS now advertises a separate 96kHz/24 bit encoded disks...a format I haven't heard yet. Figures that they are now essentially admitting to the now lower bitrated sampling their basic logo represents on current DVD releases which have both DD and DTS available. I guess now I have to look for DTS 96/24 to know that it is a higher bit rate than DD.

I absolutely agree that in as little time a four years, digital mixing has gone to hell in a hand basket and it is now rare to find a well-mixed DVD.

I will give it to Disney however, as their THX certified DD disks always sound incredible!

50" Panasonic Plasma; VP100; M60Ti; Denon 3805; Infinity sub/rears; HD w/Tivo; Salamander Synergy