Honestly I think I would agree with the comment on the Bostons. I had expected better but when I heard them the first time I was put off by the harshness of its highs. I was impressed by how deep it goes for a such a small bookshelf but on the overall of it I didn't like it.
In reply to:

but in your case I don't think the M3s vs the Monitor Audio S2s is a fair comparison. The price difference is considerable, eh?

I sort of didn't get what this mean really (sorry). Assuming the S2 will sell for the same price as the M3, or just maybe take price totally out of the equation and just consider the sonic qualities of both, how do they compare to each other? I do like the B2s, and like the S2s even better. But I'm still very inexperienced as to trying to identify what nasal, bright, or warm sound is. And that's why I'm trying to get an idea. The only thing that I know is what sounds harsh to me. The VRM50 is, but Klipsch is worse (I have a pair of KG1.5). No offense meant to owners of those brands, but my ears just don't like em.
I never felt MAs are harsh at all.
So what about the M3 vs. S2 (pls. disregard price/value).