I've been reading the forums (and posting occasionally when I have something to contribute) for 6 months or so, and I've finally decided get a new system. It helps a bit that I will be receiving a profit sharing check from the company I work at in a few weeks.

I am (or at least was) pretty convinced that I only wanted a stereo system with a subwoofer. I've always wanted a decent system and now that I can afford one, I'm really looking forward to the purchase! Based on all that I've learned from the hours and hours of reading these forums and others, I've decided that I would get the M60's for the fronts and either the EP175 or EP350 sub. I figured I'd pair that up with a Harman/Kardon HK 3480 for some nice stereo sound.

Anyway, here's my dilemma. I really just want a stereo system for now because if and when I go the home theater route, I'll probably just get an additional system for that and move the stereo into the office. But some recent posts about "phantom" center channel started to get me thinking. Since I would already have the mains and sub, and I could phantom the center channel, all I would have to do would be get a HT receiver and I would have most of a full HT system. I figure I could watch some movies in phantom 3.1 and if I liked that, it might push me into the HT route sooner. Initially, the only additional expense would be spending a few hundred more on a 5.1 receiver.

There are a few cons to this line of reasoning as I see them though:
- Instead of paying about $300-$350 for a nice 120 watt stereo receiver, I'll spend about $500 for a nice HK 230 50 watt (7.1 channel) receiver. If all I really do is listen to music (which is how I started this anyway), I'm going to have less of a stereo system for more money. Will I miss the extra 70 watts? Maybe not, especially since I'll have a powered sub.
- The receiver will be somewhat more complicated than a simple stereo receiver. Again, if I don't wind up utilizing the HT aspect, it will just be a waste.
- Phantom 3.1 as I call it might not really sound that good. Again, a waste.

Oh yeah, the obligatory layout. This intended room is about 22 by 13 with 8 foot tall ceilings. The couch and TV/Stereo around placed along opposite sides of the long wall approximately in the middle, i.e., the listener would sit a little less than 13 feet from the TV/Stereo. There are two pretty large openings to other rooms on the wall with the TV and stereo at either end. Another way to say that is the openings are pretty close to the corners along the 22 foot wall.

I guess my question is, if I go the mini-HT route with 2 mains, a phantom center, and a sub, will that sound much better than just the TV's built in speakers? My guess is probably, but I don't really know. Or, should I just get the stereo, love it and the Axioms, and start planning the dedicated home theater room.

Ok, if you've made it this far, let me apologize for the rambling nature, but I appreciate that you stuck it out this long. Also, any other comments on the proposed setup, receivers, speakers, whatever is of course also appreciated.

Thanks.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC