>>Unfortunately Phase 2 is going to require hauling everything downstairs so I can compare with M60s. If I test upstairs and carry the M60s upstairs for A/B testing that's going to prejudice the outcome, there's no way I'm carrying them down another flight of stairs after that

I didn't want to take a chance on scratching the borrowed M3s so I hauled my M60s upstairs instead for some A/B testing with the M3s. The results were very interesting. In that room, playing a wide variety of stereo material, the difference between M60 and M3 is less than the difference between M3 and M2. Yes, it's true !!

You could definitely hear a difference between M60 and M3 but other than that "openness" thing it wasn't obvious which was "better". The M3 does make a few mid-bass instruments (electric bass, bass synth etc..) sound "sharper" which I first guess was the slight bass peak but I'm not really sure.

M3s were a bit more efficient than the M60s, which surprised me. I had to crank the M60s up a tiny bit to match volumes when switching back and forth. There is a whole "deep bass" thing happening with the M60s that just isn't there with the M3s but there doesn't seem to be much that the M3s miss other than that nice solid thump you feel rather than hear.

I was really surprised how well the M3s held up against M60s. I'm going to go back and try a few more CDs but need to get to bed at a decent hour tonight... need an early start at work tomorrow and have to pack up the M3s to return them.

M3s on 24" stands are the same height as M60s for the numerologists in the crowd. "Hmmmm"

Last edited by bridgman; 03/23/05 03:46 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8