One other interesting thing I noticed last night...

I mentioned that the M3s seemed to emphasize certain low frequency instruments -- electric bass and bass synth lines both sounded "sharper" (more emphasis on the harmonics). I couldn't figure out how to rationalize this with the known response peak down around 100-120 Hz.

I don't have all the answers yet but here are some more observations :

- failing to adjust the levels when switching speakers made more difference in the "forwardness" than switching speakers itself, ie if I equalized volumes the M60 sounded more forward than M3, but if I did not turn the M3 down (M60 up) when switching the M3 actually sounded more forward than the M60. I guess that puts the difference in the "couple of dB" range at least in my room, which admittedly is an M3-friendly layout.

- when comparing M2 to M60 some months ago I concluded that either the M2 had a slight peak in the "female vocal range" or the M60 had a slight dip, based on a small but noticeable difference in how female vocals sounded even though the rest of the instruments were almost indistinguishable. After comparing M3/M60 I'm now starting to believe that (a) M2s have a very slight peak in the "female vocal range", (b) M3s have a similar peak in the "male vocal range", (c) M60s are the most neutral of the bunch or (equally likely) have their little peaks off at different frequencies which I haven't noticed yet

- the "peaks" I'm talking about sound like holding a small cardboard tube up to your ear, maybe a few inches in diameter and a couple of inches long. This is a bad example and the difference isn't so drastic as the tube would produce, but it's that kind of emphasis

Wish I knew more about doing this, but what the heck...

Over and out.

John

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8