I have a pair of M3Ti's and a HSU-TN1220HO in our formal living/dining area that we once had every intention of using as a "2.1" music-only system, but my wife and I were so amazed at the sound after adding the sub that we became determined to get a front projector + portable screen and get invisible home theater capability.

However, since it's in a formal living/dining room area, it was controversial enough to have the M3Ti's visible at all, so they were stuck up in the top corners of the room (resulting in a rather boomy sound until we got the sub). The TN-1220HO happily fits invisibly behind the audio cabinet. What I'm saying is that there's no possibility of surrounds in the near future because (a) they'd interfere with the decor and (b) I'm too damn lazy to string wires through walls.

But it occurs to me that it wouldn't be a big deal logistically speaking to place a (portable) center speaker under the portable screen, and activate the center channel in the receiver, when we watch DVDs.

Would "3.1" make a big difference in the sound over "2.1"? Would adding a (presumably) VP100 really make a difference? My guess is that for the main seating position it wouldn't, at least judging from the quality of the music there, but if we have another 8 people sitting around in chairs all over the room then a center channel would help keep the dialog focused on the screen for them.

Any comments?

Thanks --Martin