Hi: I have an older(2000) Onkyo TXDS-777 receiver, this is a THX receiver and their "reference" is 62 on the volume display, but I have never had it this high before! My listrening level for analogue cable is 15-20, digital cable is 10, F.M is 30, dvd is 40(Incredibles). I was checking if there was an amber light which comes on just before the clipping red light on my BFD, so I was using only the sub... I turned the gain on my sub to number 1 and turned the sub gain on the receiver slowly up... so as to get the lights to turn on without deafening myself... and my Onkyo made like a squealing kinda noise( I didn't notice where the volume number was).
I have all my gear plugged into a Furman line conditioner which has a volt meter and an amp meter. I will check it again and see if there is a "increase" at this spot on the dial! Maybe this receiver has a fan...but I doubt it.... I thought maybe the fan was making the noise just at that spot where the big volume number was.
Mine does not "click", but makes a squeek, like a door would make! Anyway, I will check my amp meter on my Furman later! Huck

M22ti's x2 VP150 x1 QS8 x2 SVS 20-39 PC+ Onkyo TX DS-777 Ideal Lume Standard