In reply to:

Not that I need to say anything more on the subject, but I sat some friends down, including a golden eared acoustic guitar player, played my favorite test CDs...and each agreed, that particular Cambridge just did not reproduce music very well

I think i have stated often enough that such casual listening 'tests' are inherently flawed and carry no confidence. This 'proof' is about as revealing as the (lack of) proof about Iraq and Al Qaida.

I certainly believe a cd player can have a different effect on sound but there has to be an electronic reasoning for it such as dramatically different DACs (or a tube influence). I haven't looked at the specs on these players but just offhand, the Ah tube cdp compared to a 8 year old JVC and a relatively new Cambridge could very well all sound different.

So why am i out of joint then?
Yes, the choice of words is rather unusual and as i tried to portray earlier, a highly unlikely description that a cdp can all of a sudden make the bass "loose and blowsy". Perhaps a crappy speaker could do that, but a decent quality cdp?
Is it really that dramatic?

As for the components not 'getting along', again, highly unlikely that the electronic signal in the cdp met up with the receiver and said "gee, you're a different electricity than me, lets clash".

I just thought it was all a bit dramitic. Ironic that this post adds to the theatrics eh?

On another note, i'm curious about the Ah! cdp you have. Do you have any pics or specs on it?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."