Welcome, Leigh.

I didn't like the look or the real-world ramifications of speakers on stands, so I went with the M60's. I'm very happy with that choice. If you want good sound, you cannot even ponder the notion of putting the M22's in a cabinet or on a shelf. They will still sound okay, but you will not be maximizing their performance.

You did not mention your music/HT ratio. I think that matters. For instance, if you are heavily into music, my opinion is that you might be better served by the smoother, deeper, fuller image presented by the M60's. On the other hand, if you will be mostly watching movies, you may be more than adequately served by M22's, but do not scrimp on the sub. I think that room (including the adjoining area) is pretty big for an EP175. I'd second Craig's recommendation of a Hsu STF-3 or VTF-3, and EP350 or a SVS PB12-ISD. Depending on if you have a budget, the EP500 would certainly be a fine choice, but you may want to spend that extra $500-600 elsewhere (like on upgrading from the M22 to M60).

People like the Onkyos. People on these forums also seem to really like comparable Denon and HK models. I understand that HK is in the process of introducing a new line, so you may be able to find excellent value on recently discontinued (but still full featured and capable) models.

Good luck with your journey!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem