"My momma done taught me that if I didn't have nuthin nice to say about someone then don't say nuthin at all."

Enough about the author.

The theory? There is such a thing called the intellect. Absent that, we're a bunch of rutting animals. And as rutting animals, this theory works to an extent. Oh, and there's this thing called love, which is broader than the hierarchy of lust decribed by the ladder theory, that also seems to be absent from the theory. Love for the individual is the basis of my marriage which will be running onto 18 years in a few weeks, here. By all that's holy, neither of us have the bodies we did all those long years ago... and if the ladder theory of attraction was what we had to go on, we'd have left each other a long LONG time ago.

I suppose it may be a reasonable model of the dating/singles scene, but I really am only making a guess here based on stereotypes, since I haven't ever been into that scene.

In reply to:

Most women read this and say something like, "Well I'm not the average woman because..blah...blah...not true...blah blah...my boyfriend/lover/husband/masseuse was poor...blah...blah."

If you thought something like this you are very likely the average woman. If you read it and went "Hmmm..." and then you went back to doing physics, then you have a case.

I'm not the average woman for a lot of reasons!!!!!!! (for one, I'm an Axiom owner, eh? )

Actually, I just finished up doing my physics/engineering chores for the evening before reading the forum tonight and then it's off to bed. So I won't be "getting back to" it until tomorrow night. Even with the delay, I bet I still have a case

For my birthday a couple of weeks back, I bought a BIG hunk of Cherry (4" x 12" x 38") which will be carved into the soundbox of a harp inspired by the 15th century Scottish "Queen Mary" wire strung harp, and I was working out the shape of the harmonic curve to give to my harp maker (http://www.kortier.com/subpages/trinity.htm) given the pitches, expected tensions of the wires and their various gauges and their materials - (spring brass, sterling silver, and 22K gold). It pulls together stuff from my physics, engineering statics, and material science courses from college that I haven't looked at in years. I'm much more focused on acoustic and structural theory than ladder theory tonight!

Enjoy!

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.