Bernard, I was watching the Aviator. A long, but worthwhile movie. I enjoyed it.

If you check out that thread, you'll find that that is my one and only post on the outlaw forum. I have never heard the 990, so I can't attest to it's build, or sonic, quality. But, it seems to be a feature rich preamp, at a price which, though reasonable, is definitely out of MY price range. I'm not real crazy about it's looks, but that's just me. I'm sure many will like it's appearance.

I posted in that thread on the outlaw forum, and in a similar thread on the av123 forum, because I was surprised that many were comparing the 990 to the soon-to-be-released Emotiva UL preamp. I think they have very different target markets. I don't find the ULs stunningly beautiful either. I like the looks of the Parasounds!

I see the UL and it's amp, as a budget level combo with basic, but not skimpy, features, going for $1300 for the pair, which can open up the world of separates to many who could never afford to go with an Outlaw preamp/amp combo, or, for that matter, any other preamp/amp combo currently available. Does anyone know of a $700 preamp that is worth discussing? (I mean that as a genuine question, NOT a challenge).

I see the 990 as as a feature rich, entry level preamp. I use the term "entry level" based on price alone, and not quality. Many of the preamps we hear so much about seem to cost considerably more. Based on it's features, the 990 appears to be a real bargain. The 990 alone is $1100. With the least expensive Outlaw amp currently available, the price for the pair is $2000. I suspect the new wave of Outlaw amps will be more expensive than the current group, so the price for a pair will be even more expensive.

So, many people are trying to compare a $1300 budget combo, to a feature rich pair that goes for $2000 or more. Apples and pears, to me.

I'm assuming that both preamps are well made, quality, units that sound very good. Obviously if one unit sounds measurably better than the other, all this is moot.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton