In reply to:

OK somebody explain the dynamics of this to me. I want to understand how this works and not have any missconceptions about it.

No prob. Curtis will probably chime in on this as well.

In reply to:

I thought it was the creation of these large waves that made you feel it.

That much is correct.

In reply to:

I knew that if you turned up the intensity to earpopping levels you can create that with regular speakers, but I thought the subs ability to go lower than the audible human hearing was the key to creating this effect.

You can move a certain amount of air with a driver of a certain size with a certain excursion. Subwoofer drivers are generally bigger, so they're capable of moving more air. So you have more potential air movement with a big 10"/12" driver than with a smaller driver.

The sub in subwoofer means "lower" of course. Lower than the frequency of a regular woofer, not sub-sonic (though some subs do tread into that range on their roll-off, depending on your hearing) so you're still making lots of "loud" along with your "kick to the chest"... and since bass travels a lot farther than treble, more of it will reach your neighbour's ears. (To test this - calibrate your system, set your system up with the sub on and play some music, and go to a different floor of the house... you'll only hear the lower frequencies) So getting a sub won't allow you to get that "kick in the chest" feeling without peeing off the neighbours, which was the thrust behind your message, correct?

God help me, but you might want to look into a "Tactile Transducer" for this. It's pretty much a speaker voice coil that moves a weight instead of a cone, you put it under your listening position and it gives you that physical feedback without making sound.

I feel dirty now, I must go wash.

Bren R.