alan and bridgman

Sorry - this is kinid of a ramble. Any more advice is appreciated, as was the previous advice.

Actually with the cheap surrounds that were unidirectional - I liked all five (point one) speakers better than 2.1 or 3.1. I haven't heard a complete matching set of axioms - so I don't know what I am missing.

One day when I can justify it to myself, I will probably get Qs4s. For now these athena surrounds will do fine. (Bridgman's idea of going cheap to be able to afford better in the future). It is a question of what I can afford at present, along with what I can feel comfortable investing money into. Long run - yes a good all around system seems like a wise investment. Short run - $120 for decent surrounds seems fine to me. They don't match but with my ears (or my education of said ears) I don't think I will notice.

(Next week - I hope I am not back to wondering how to afford QS4s)!

My small room does seem like quite a bottle neck to a good sounding 5.1 system. There is only one place the sub can go - whether it sounds good or not. I might experiment by moving the sub to where I sit and then moving my ear around the room. But I think it would be frutiless with a 2 year old running around the apartment trying to stand on the sub, and a wife with some sense. Heck, even I can't think of another place I would want to see that sub. But I should try.

Also, the center is back about 4 feet behind the left and right speakers - I have adjusted the receiver, but still it seems a bit weird and maybe off. The center actually should go right where the window is - so it is a few feet off to the side as well.

And the tv is right under the left speaker due to the window and the couch (only reasonable place for it in the apartment). Luckily I am not that picky on movies - sounds ok like it is as long as the movie is good.

These Athena's are tri directional - so they should be an improvement over the KLH speakers.

Anyway - quite a few issues with speaker placement in my apartment. I kind of wonder if they would ever "disappear" but then I don't have much to compare them to. Just my new Athenas and some old Paradigm Titans. The M22s are much superior to either.

I am using a Onkyo 501 - if that makes any difference. That I could upgrade if it didn't cost too much. But, I hear it is a pretty decent receiver.

The aprtment is small and awkward to place speakers in - but the rent is free! I live where I work.

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.