Hi gang,

I just got a Denon AVR-2105 and hooked it up to my 5 speakers and sub. Speakers are wired correctly - 2 mains, center, LR surrounds and sub - polarity OK on all. When I launch the autocalibrate function with the receiver it begins to test each speaker, and everything appears normal - when a specific speaker/sub is being calibrated, only that speaker/sub outputs noise. Then I connected my DVD player via L/R composite cables to the DVD IN inputs on the receiver and put in a Pixar DVD. This DVD has a THX calibration feature that you're probably familiar with - does a sound test for each speaker and sub. However when it tests a specfic speaker ALL speakers output noise, the only exception is that the main right is silent when the main left is tested and vice versa. The sub makes no noise at all, period. It seems that based on this test I'm in 2-channel stereo mode.

I suspect this has something to do with the way my DVD player is connected or the age of the unit, but my main concern is to make sure the receiver is OK since it's a refurb and I have a limited return time. I've tried all kinds of buttons on the receiver to no avail with the THX calibration. My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS700P, about 5 years old but has "dts digital out" and "dolby digital" printed on the front. Does anyone know what's the deal here? Do I need to connect the DVD player via the optical jack? Do I need a new DVD player? Do I need a hole in my head?

Much thanks,