What am I missing here??????

IMO, you pretty much got it! you are "missing" the 2 channel PURE music sound of a real pre/pro, this may sound overly critical here, but the sound that a high end (gosh I hate that word/phrase) pre/pro provides on serious 2 channel lisening IS very noticeable. I have considered the Magnepan 3.6s for some time, and did finally purchase them. Still playing the positioning game with them. It's not perfect, what is?, but something else! On HT the difference is not near as impressive. However I have not "matched" the maggies, and have been told the QS-8s would still be a great surround choice. I still have my Yam 1500 receiver, I slip it in there for my own curiosity it has more "features" but can't hold a candle to true 2 channel sound of the Sunfires. Most high featured receivers/processors would have more sound fields and features than expensive pre/pros. They were always called pre amps till HT! Anyhow, there are preamps that sell for 10K that would have no real "features" but would put you in heaven with the right amp and speakers, so, again, to each their own I guess. Do you want the BEST 2 channel sound? The best HT? or both, It's only money. There are some great pre/pros that excell at both, but are not the "best" at both, but then again you are back to bucks.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s