Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are we hurting Axiom?
#100753 06/29/05 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have to agree with Jack. It's part of Axiom's business model and I assume would be factored into their product prices.

I think it's essential that this be offered by any company selling their products online. It's a plus for Axiom and I'm sure it has made many people feel "safer" about ordering an unseen/unheard product.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#100754 06/29/05 03:02 PM
veteran
veteran
I will weigh in with a businessmans' perspective. I sell fitness equipment, and only offer a 10 day return policy. As far as I am concerned that is enough time for you to try a treadmill two or three times and decide if you like it. I think 30 days is too long and puts too much wear and tear on the machine. Also, I do not refuns and shipping or set up fees. Axiom by not having dealers really has to do this. However if it was me, I would charge for return shipping, if they are not upgrading. I agree with your post that a lot of people are probably abusing this very generous feature.

Shane D

#100755 06/29/05 04:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think it speaks volumes to Axiom’s products and customer service that we care if we are negatively impacting their business. Mark, I think it says a lot about you (positively) as a person that you consider the impact of your actions.
I don't doubt that there are folks who abuse the option to return. However, being internet based and not having places where people can easily listen to their speakers, a liberal return policy really is a requirement for encouraging people to audition their speakers. Without that policy I would not have auditioned Axioms when I was looking around for speakers.
That flexible a return policy falls in line with their amazing, very personal and personable customer service. When I move to a larger place and have the money I will be getting speakers from Axiom. Both because they make great speakers that give me the neutrality in a speaker I crave and because their customer service defines the bell curve.
That they have not changed that policy tells me that it’s not having a negative (enough) impact on their business in comparison to the positive effect of bringing in new Axiomites. Spread the gospel brothers and sisters!

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#100756 06/29/05 05:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good points Mark.

Hmm, I don't think there is a clear cut right or wrong to this. Yes, maybe we do offer up advice to new customers to return or upgrade for free a little too nonchalantly. The "risk-free" in home trial is an integral part of Axiom's business. With it, and the free upgrade clause, Axiom builds a level of trust with the potential customer. I think this is the most important thing Axiom does. Buying new speakers is a harrowing ordeal. Buying speakers over the internet, often without an audition, is even more so. Without such a return policy, the potential customer may look elsewhere.

Of course, there are those who exploit such return policies and threaten to ruin things for the rest of us. Unfortunately, little can be done with these people. Wasn't there a thread here (maybe over at Audioholics) about Best Buy cracking down on exploitive returners? These people would buy something, return it, wait for Best Buy to reshelf the item at a marked down price, then purchase the item again. It frustrates me to read about this. Some take the stance that Best Buy is a big enough company and can afford the hits, or that people are within their rights to repurchase items. What happened to plain old honesty? Some people have no scruples and take advantage of situations simply because the opportunity presents itself.

I guess because I work in retail this kind of stuff bothers me. I see it everyday. Axiom's customer service is top-notch. Sure there are those who will take advantage of it, but in the long run Axiom will continue to build "relationships" with potential customers simply on the strength of their commitment to their product.

This forum is a huge part of Axioms continued success. Not only do we offer healthy discussions of all things audio, there is a certain sense of community a lot of people would like to buy into. Not only that, but it is an awesome way to set up in-home auditions for potential buyers.

But back to the original question posed by Mark. Yes, I think we do throw out the "try it and send it back if you don't like it" line a bit too nonchalantly. But I think it is spurred by the fact that Axiom has such great faith in their speakers, that we simply are trying to encourage such faith and satisfaction to new buyers. Every time I pass over such a comment, I feel Axiom is extending a small bit of trust to a customer, who in turn can offer the same amount of trust. Yes, there are those who will abuse this system, but I like to believe there are far more honest people out there who can tip the scales in favor of the good.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#100757 06/29/05 06:13 PM
old hand
old hand
I think one thing you all are forgetting is that there are a certain percentage of people out there that DON’T return speakers simply because of inertia. Once they get them home and set up, they really can’t be hassled to box everything back up again and lug it down to the post office (or make a call to FedEx for a pickup) so they end up keeping them no matter what they think about them. Case in point – haggling is a big part of many cultures around the world. No matter which country I’ve visited, if you haggle with money in hand, and you can get the other guy to touch that money, you will never have to raise your price – cause there is no way that guy is giving you back that money. Once some people get something home, it’s staying and that is a sale that Axiom would NOT have made without the return policy. It is similar to those rebates – it is much better than a sale for the manufacturer because not everyone turns them in.

Professional Axiom Lurker
#100758 06/29/05 07:27 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
How can an internet only sales company sell a product to potential customers in which that sale depends completely on the customer’s personal preferences without that customer experiencing/touching/feeling/hearing it? They have no choice but to let that person audition it, and have the option to send it back if it does not meet their criteria of personal preferences. The company can either offer to take their product back at no charge, or they can charge a nominal restocking fee. They can also charge that customer shipping, both to / from or one of each.

Axiom has the best customer service that I have ever experienced, period. Internet or otherwise. They have earned this reputation by catering to current and potential customers needs, wants and sometimes frivolous complaints. This forum in itself is an outstanding, and somewhat inexpensive marketing technique. What better way to sell you product, then let your current customers help you sell it? It also fosters a close nit community in which we all seam to enjoy being a part of. This forum is also an avenue to address issues that we may have with the product, and a means to rectify the issue. It’s also a direct conduit to the actual owners of the company. An excellent tool and feedback mechanism to say the least.

Getting back to the actual question of recommending folks buy Axiom products and return it if they are not satisfied…..

Why the hell not? Axiom would not offer this if they haven’t already built this “assumed” loss of profit scenario into their business plan and mission statement. And I’m pretty sure that it’s a line item in their plan’s Performa. I certainly wouldn’t offer this service if I didn’t budget for potential losses of revenue relating to the re-stocking, shipping costs, overhead and reduced product profit margin. I’d even wager that they still make a slight profit from any returned product, or at a minimum, a taxable expensive deduction.

#100759 06/29/05 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ian and I were very touched reading through this post - it speaks volumes about how great the Axiom family is. Thanks, Mark, for your kind concern. It's so interesting - although there will always be a few people who are out to 'beat the system', for the most part people are just like the people on this forum - great people we're glad to know. You've given us the warm-fuzzies today - thank you!

#100760 06/29/05 08:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank YOU, Amie and Ian. It's a pleasure doing business with you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#100761 06/29/05 08:54 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I think I'm with Jack on this one.If these practices would hurt Axiom I doubt it would be their polices.I have been reading this forum for over two years and it seems I have read about only a handful of people that have sent the speakers back.Also I don't think the upgrade policy is in anyway having a negitive affect or it just wouldn't be allowed.There is at least one other internet company,SVS,that gives a person a 45 day trial period.These trial periods are a must for these type of companies.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#100762 06/29/05 10:38 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Axiom, SVS, Hsu, Outlaw, Aperion, AV123 and other internet companies operate with return policies. Some better, some worse, than Axioms. I looked at them all before buying Axioms. I'm really happy where I ended up.

I just know dealing with Axiom has been a pleasure. I hope they continue to prosper.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters