Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Congrats & thank you Canada!
#101014 07/04/05 12:02 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

They give no opinion such as why the US's refusal to ratify Kyoto caused the tornado during the NEWS portion.

The US's refusal to ratify Kyoto caused a tornado?

Freakin' Bush Administation and that dang Conservative Fox news!!!!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#101015 07/04/05 12:26 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
LMAO ...

#101016 07/04/05 05:15 PM
OK, let's get back to the post topic. I can totally see where you're coming from craigsub, and I agree with you that the gov't has no business telling us who can be married to whom. Trying to get our gov't to bow completely out of this area of our lives would be the correct course of action. But is it the right course of action?

To me, the right way would lead to more equality sooner. There's no way for us to know whether the gov't will sooner bow out of the marriage game altogether or legally recognize same-sex marriages as equal to marriages as we know them today. Me? I think equal recognition needs to happen first, and only then will it be possible to get the gov't out -- when they have nobody left to tell "No marriage for you."

#101017 07/04/05 05:40 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Peter, I know this will shock you - I REALLY like Bill O'Reilly. He could not care less about which party someone is in, he aggravates anyone he thinks is full of sh** ... heh heh.

And yes, while It is somewhat a positive direction to "allow" gay marriage, it was actually Spiff's reaction that got me to respond. (He and I have had a pretty good PM exchange, too) ... For Spiff to feel gratitude because the government first took away his rights, then "gave" them back is really hard to take, and not because I don't like Spiff.

They had no business taking away his rights in the first place.

Here is one Irony of this, too. It is mostly those on the "Left" side who think estate taxes are good, while those on the "Right" side who want them eliminated.

You can count on smart accountants to catch on to this: A single guy wants to leave his business to a younger partner, could now marry him legally, and avoid estate taxes. And if anyone thinks this won't happen, when millions are on the line, it will.

The Irony ? For the "Right" side, they will likely get permanent repeal of the estate tax because the "left" got gay marriage legalized. Too funny.

#101018 07/04/05 06:43 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The US didn’t start this…….go back in history a few hundred years. The acronym for “Fornication Under Consent of the King” might be a good place to start, then keep working backward in time.

And this isn’t a “left wing thing” or a “right wing thing”. It’s just the natural progression of how things have always been done. Hell, go back a few thousand years and to wher the origin of sir names came into existence. Same thing……progression of something that was started centuries ago. Numbers were added to identify a person when sir names didn’t do the job anymore.

#101019 07/04/05 08:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can't believe I missed this fun thread! Just read the whole thing - although I almost stopped after page one, where spiff was applauding gay marriage and talking about getting his butt busted in the same paragraph! Just kidding, spiff, all in good fun.
chess, I distinctly remember arrogance from one of the Canadian members here who felt obligated to "educate" us stupid Americans about our own history/gov't. Arrogance is not the exclusive domain of ny one nationality. Regardless, who cares what the French (or anybody else) thinks about Americans anyway?
And, craigsub, ALL the NEWS outlets have inherent, obvious biases - including Fox. The stories that they choose to report on (which shapes the public agenda); the context in which they present and juxtapose facts, statements and stories; who gets the last word; etc..., all reflects human biases - intentionally or not. Most of the time it appears to be intentional.
I tuned in to the Communist News Network (CNN) the other day, just to see what drivel the enemy is foisting on the good folks of America, and was shocked to hear the news being read by a British lady! Despite myself, my IQ immediately jumped 20 points and I felt a kind of warm glow envelop me. My mind adopted the new "global perspective" and I felt superior to all you hicks between the coasts. Hilarious.
I think Fox needs to respond with a hillbilly news anchor in overalls and a bit of straw sticking out of his mouth, readin' the news and sayin', "Aw, shucks! Now that is just plain ignorant," every so often.

#101020 07/04/05 10:42 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Bigwill - Some good points, and yes, if you are going to subscribe to the theory that all humans have biases, then all news networks will have some biases as well.

In their News Casts, Fox does have the most detached presentation of the major networks. Of course, they also have the shortest presentations, too.

As for listening to a British accent and having it increase IQ - Benny Hill killed that for me years ago ...

#101021 07/04/05 10:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, craigsub. How about the way Fox singlehandedly kept the Oil-for-Food scandal on the public radar? Or how CNN and other mainstream media fanned anti-war sentiment immediately before a round of polling on that issue last month? Or how the local news will grab stories from all over the country to supplement their own local story - clearly with the intent to show an epidemic or crisis of nat'l import? Oh my god, child abductions everywhere! Get the public in a tizzy and make some new laws, eh?
And when are they going to do away with some of these old laws? Or will they just keep adding them infinitum?

#101022 07/04/05 11:13 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
I think we need to get you out more ...

#101023 07/05/05 07:00 PM
I was out all weekend, so I feel I've earned the right to comment here.
In reply to:

if you are going to subscribe to the theory that all humans have biases

theory? All humans have biases. That's a fact. It is how well a person is able to control their biases that is key. All cable news networks fail to control theirs in the interest of true objectivism.

And don't get me started on Bill O'Reilly. I have many opinions about that man, and none of them positive.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters