Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Greenhorn Questions
#106922 08/06/05 01:21 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I am very limited on my Home Theater knowledge, but very interested in upgrading my system.
My old Technics 930 is getting "System Overload" and virtually shutting down every time a loud sound comes on the TV or DVD. I recently added a new infinity sub, but even disconnecting it doesn't help.
Also, what does 6 channel discreet mean? This is some feature on my receiver that is the only way I can get background sound and voice dialog to work at the same time. I lost the manual. Should I just get a new receiver and have someone hook everything up for me? I currently have 4 Bostons for my speakers.
Thanks for you help!

Re: Greenhorn Questions
#106923 08/06/05 01:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Lets try to get you a manual first. I searched on "Technics 930" and didn't get many hits. There is an SA-EX930, does that sound right ?

It's possible you just need more power, but if the overload started recently it is also possible that you just have a partial short between the speaker connectors (eg. a single strand at the speaker end of the wire).

First thing to try would be disconnecting all the speakers, them just hook up the front 2 first (carefully checking the ends of the wires and cutting/stripping the ends if they are a real mess). Run with just the 2 speakers and see if it cuts out, then gradually add more.

6 channel discreet normally refers to a set of 6 input jacks used to hook up a player for DVD-Audio (DVD-A) or Super Audio CD (SACD). This will often be a DVD player but DVD-A and SACD outputs are not allowed to go over the digital (coax/optical) link to make it harder for people to copy the digital audio -- so these separate inputs are needed.

Are you using the inputs for something different ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#106924 08/06/05 01:56 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Yes, that model number sounds right. You are probably correct about the speaker hookups. It only started happening after I unplugged and rehooked up some things (when I added the sub) to try and get better sound.

I connect my DVD to these 6 inputs. This receiver doesn't even have an optical connection. Do you think I should upgrade this receiver?

I will try to re-hookup the speakers (cleaner). What is (or advantages) of "Crossover"?

Thanks for your reply!

#106925 08/06/05 02:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Your receiver probably has a built in crossover which is used to strip bass signals from the fronts, center and surrounds and send the bass to the subwoofer output.

This normally works better than wiring the sub to your front speaker wires since (a) the crossover in the receiver is normally sharper and higher quality, (b) the receiver crossover can process signals from all channels, not just the front, and (c) the crossover in the receiver can actually remove the LF signals from the smaller speakers so the amplifiers and speakers don't have to do as much work, giving you clearer sound particularly at high volumes.

If you use the crossover in the receiver (ie the sub line level input is hooked to the sub out jack on your receiver) you want to set the crossover on the sub to either "disable" or the highest possible frequency to make sure that you don't have two crossovers working at the same time.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082