Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is there a list of SACDs/DVD-As available?
#107045 08/08/05 07:49 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I heard a SACD of Pink Floyd's DSOTM from a pair of Infinity Alpha 50s, and I much preferred the sound to the CD. This got me interested in the format. I doubt it was placeabo, since you could actually feel the difference(more bass) vs the CD one, where you couldn't feel anything. That was the first thing I noticed.

Wheather a SACD/DVD-A player is worth it or not depends on how many of my downloaded FLAC/APE lossless audio collection is available in either format. Searching for SACD/DVD-A copies of each CD seems pretty daunting thus I gave up after a few tries.. but if there's a list or an archive that the major labels have up it'd make it easier.

Thanks.

Re: Is there a list of SACDs/DVD-As available?
#107046 08/08/05 10:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
This is a close as I can come for you. Hope they help.

Super Audio CD (SACD) Surround Music Albums

SA-CD.net

HighFidelityReview.com

Vendors where you can buy them:

Acoustic Sounds

CD Universe

Elusive Disc

BuyDVDNow

If it matters to you, be careful to check to see whether the disc is multichannel (which may be 5.1, or 4.1, or only 3.1), or stereo only. I am primarily interested in multichannel, and am often disappointed when I'm not vigilant and end up with a stereo version.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#107047 08/08/05 12:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Hello Thasp-
I could not wait to get in SACD myself- I found a Pioneer DV588AS for $116.00 It is a universal player so you can play many formats with it. Is sounds great to me and I am very happy with it.
By the way after purchasing the thing I went down to my local best buy to buy a few SACD- Dark side of the moon was one of them- and the help told me that they a fazing out sacd-dvd audio disc for the more popular Dual Disc cd's. I did buy DMB stand up in that format and that as well sounds good. Either way the player will play both at a reasonable price. Hope this helps.

By the way after puchaseing the thing I went down to my local best buy to buy a few SACD- Dark side of the monn was one of them- and the help told me that they a faseing out sacd-dvd audio disc for the more popular Dual Disc cd's. I did buy

#107048 08/08/05 05:33 PM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks, that was useful.

A whopping three SACDs match the music in my collection. Even worse, they are as expensive as normal CDs, and then some. Dire Straits remaster is $35!! A lot of them on elusive disc range from $15-$35. I can't believe they charge more than the price of pressing a record for manufacturing CDs. I'm sure less than two bucks goes to the artist as usual, and that they'll continue to sue their customers. The nerve they have to go up in price.

Excuse the rant, but $25-$35 for some of these discs is like paying $10/gallon for gas..

Last edited by Thasp; 08/08/05 05:36 PM.
#107049 08/08/05 05:45 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Not to start a discussion of how labels treat their artists, but I don't think you can compare an SACD or DVD-Audio disc to the pricing of a CD just because both arrive on a 5" disc.

SACDs and DVD-A discs are re-engineered and remastered over many weeks of studio and Engineer's time. It's not like they're using the same Master that's simply burned onto a disc differently. And where CDs are generally expected to sell quite well, the hi-res discs are generally assumed to not sell well... so those remastering, packaging and distribution costs have to be spread out over maybe 3,000 or 10,000 units instead of 100X that.

I'm not defending ANYone in the music industry, but comparing the pricing is really apples-to-oranges.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#107050 08/08/05 10:32 PM
old hand
old hand
I do agree with Mark- There is allot more that goes into those things.
I got to be honest after the purchase of the equipment and setting up to what I believe is correct, at least the way I understand the Manufactures directions- I was a little disappointed in the sound. I might have been expecting to much but just was not blown away in my listening environment.
However I am glad I have it and will have some fun with it and will be trying some SACD from Chesky audio. They are a audiophiles delight from what I read.
I would check out some other sources as well for instance Tower Records & Amazon online.

#107051 08/09/05 02:43 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I can understand that - but I think they'd like to move to this new standard over the next few years.

It's been argued a lot that CD prices should go down. There have even been court orders over it, where they have been found to have been fixing prices to keep them up. If CDs are only supposed to cost $4-$9, it's hard to imagine that a SACD or DVD-A should cost $35.

Going by that - assuming my collection were all 15 track CDs, my music collection over the last two years at $35/CD would cost me over $2000. That's over twice what I spent on my hi-fi..

If they try to push this standard in the future, at these prices, they'll have a hard time getting anyone to adopt it. Or, very technically inclined people will find out how to rip a perfect digital copy of them, and the suing will break loose all over again.

#107052 08/09/05 05:39 AM
devotee
devotee
Well, the only disc that is $35 is the Dire Straits Album. And that is because it is an import that is not available in the US. Most SACD's cost the same as a regular CD, which to me, is a steal. The sound quality of high res Audio is absolutely incredible.

SACD is completely dead in the US now. DVD-Audio is barely clinging to life in the Dual Disc Format. I was just able to buy a new Dual Disc of Jason Mraz that has a DVD-A quality version on it and that was quite a surprise.

Someone above said they bought the Dual Disc of Dave Matthews Band's Stand Up album. It is not a DVD-A title, the DVD side is not in any higher resolution than normal CD, quite a waste of space on the DVD if you ask me.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,081 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup