Rate Thread
Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30
Re: OT: Katrina and World Support?
#109442 09/02/05 02:36 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Not a bad response. If you think about it, rescue workers being shot at is pretty pathetic. As for getting water to those who need it, I agree. So do 40,000 National Guardsman headed that direction.

And, I know this is not politically correct, but the majority of those stuck there elected to "ride it out". I was listening to a Saturday talk radio show on my way back from a golf tournament, and they were interviewing people in New Orleans, and literally every person interviewed was looking forward to this as a party.

I was actually yelling at the radio about these people, because the news reports were, at that point, predicting a category 5 storm.

#109443 09/02/05 02:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not to interrupt, but had to share this story. One of our coworkers' 16-year-old daughter announced today that she was heading down to New Orleans to help out (from Montreal). Her mother looked at her and said "You're prepared to sleep on a cot in the Houston Astrodome"? And she said "Oh no, we're there to help. I'm sure they'll put us up in a nice hotel."

Even just at my age I miss being that young!

#109444 09/02/05 02:49 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
In reply to:

And I think this just another case of FoxNews getting it ALL WRONG YET AGAIN! All this reporter (hack if you will) would need to do is search the freaking news feeds coming from all over the world to notice other countries are sending condolences and support. How do people still watch/read this drivel from a 3rd rate news source?

Excerpts from PM's link "proving" the world's commitment:

"Countries from Russia to Venezuela offered assistance for victims of Hurricane Katrina yesterday but said they will wait to hear from the United States what is needed before they send the aid." ... No specific aid, just a "we will help if you ask".

and

"Chinese President Hu Jintao expressed his "belief that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland."
In contrast, Islamic extremists found a cause for celebration, giving the storm the military rank "private" and suggesting in Internet chatter that Katrina had joined their jihad, or holy war. They also prayed that oil prices hit $100 a barrel this year."

Finally -

" U.S. officials and foreign diplomats said the widely shared sense is that as the world's richest country, the United States can cope with the aftermath of natural disasters and does not need help.
They said that was the reason for the lack of specific offers, although the European Union -- as well as Britain, Germany and other individual members -- informed President Bush and the governors of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama that they are ready to help with whatever is necessary.
"The United States has very good infrastructure and capabilities, so we'll wait for them to ask for concrete assistance," said Martina Nibbeling-Wriessnig, spokeswoman for the German Embassy. "You don't want to send in several helicopters and have only one landing space."
Russian President Vladimir Putin also said in a letter to Mr. Bush that his government "is prepared to provide help if requested."
The most concrete offer came from Venezuela, which offered to send fuel and humanitarian aid to victims, despite otherwise strained relations with the United States. "

The Chavez offer was made through Jesse Jackson, and was geared to the "oppressed" living here, and this was planned BEFORE Katrina - Chavez originally said he wanted to send cheap oil and gas to our poor, strictly as a political move.

If one reads all the wording from various sources, the response has been tepid. My primary difference with Mr. Cavuto is I would have said nothing. Other than Canada, and possibly England, I don't think much will happen in the way of aid.

By the way, My wife and I are personally over $11K so far in contributions.

We both believe in helping.

We are both also disgusted with all the finger pointing.

#109445 09/02/05 02:51 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Amie - That was priceless.

#109446 09/02/05 02:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>and literally every person interviewed was looking forward to this as a party.

Yeah, I don't have a good answer for those people. I'm a bit of a closet storm chaser myself so it's not impossible that I would have joined them. Not in New Orleans though (I understand the concept of being in a big hole that is about to fill up with ocean) but I actually did think about heading down to Florida a few years ago. Stupid, I know...

>>And she said "Oh no, we're there to help. I'm sure they'll put us up in a nice hotel."

I'm still laughing over this one. Thanks, Amie !!

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#109447 09/02/05 03:00 AM
shareholder in the making
I hope any Axiomites down in that area are ok I just returned from a week seminar down in Orlando and there was another guy attending that was trying to get in touch with a sister in the Gulfport area.

Just found out my company "The Principal Financial Group" is giving $75,000 to the Red Cross, and also matching any contributions the employees donate. Just wish I could do more for those folks

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#109448 09/02/05 03:18 AM
veteran
veteran
"Are these just looters and crochety old coots or do you think there is something worse going on ? "

Unfortunately, there is a big problem in New Orleans concerning poverty and gang life. It can get quite violent down there, the poverty is so severe. My wife went to school at Tulane and some of the stories she told me were unbeleivable.

#109449 09/02/05 03:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sure they aren't looking at it this way, but does it get to a point where you just say the city is gone and is not worth rebuilding? Get the people out and get them setup somewhere else rather then figuring out what to do with them for a couple of months while attempts to bring back the city are made. How bad does it have to get, if it ever gets to that point, before it makes sense to not rebuild?

#109450 09/02/05 03:42 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I’ve always wonder why hurricane prone southern coastal states doesn’t have better infrastructure to at least withhold cat3 winds. States like Florida , why they keep building houses out o wood? I’m from originally from Puerto Rico, 100% of the housing development is all concrete, wood houses are practically nonexistent. Concrete houses are not the prettiest but they sure can sustain cat5 winds. I’ve been through two hurricanes one cat2, cat4. No big deal throughout the island, you only have to worry about flooding which btw is the most destructive and deadliest aspect of a hurricane.
My prayers to all the victims of Katrina. ...and for the federal agencies: Get your act together!

Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#109451 09/02/05 05:01 AM
another question for the thinkers among us:

Which is a better use of our tax dollars: rebuilding Iraq or rebuilding New Orleans?

Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,481
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters