Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30
Re: OT: Katrina and World Support?
#109542 09/03/05 02:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well........not to stir the pot but it's a funny thing up here in Canuck land.

I know more then one person who view Fox as "Bush TV". At least that is the take that some of us Canucks have.......me included. Can you tell I don't have much use for Fox? They piss me off. Every year they come out with a show that sucks me in and I start watching it..........and then BANG it's gone. It drives me nuts and they do it all the time.

#109543 09/03/05 03:02 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Let me also take a moment to apologize to the other forum members.

Katrina is a topic that deserves respect, and my post was inappropriate.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#109544 09/03/05 03:17 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Here is a news clip from CNN today.

" NEW ORLEANS — To cries of "Thank you Jesus!" and catcalls of "What took you so long?," a National Guard convoy packed with food, water and medicine rolled through axle-deep floodwaters Friday into what remained of New Orleans and descended into a maelstrom of fires and floating corpses. "

This is CNN in full scale negativity, true ? Maybe CNN and FOX even each other out ?

#109545 09/03/05 03:22 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
From Fox ... The warm and fuzzy ...

"Diane Sylvester, 49, was the first person through the line, and she emerged with two bottles of water and a pork rib meal. “Something is better than nothing,” she said as she mopped sweat from her brow. “I feel great to see the military here. I know I’m saved.”"

It does appear both news sources have taken sides ...

#109546 09/03/05 04:12 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

NEW ORLEANS — To cries of "Thank you Jesus!" [...] National Guard convoy packed with food, water and medicine rolled through axle-deep floodwaters

Jesus of Nazareth is serving with the US National Guard?

Bren R.

#109547 09/03/05 10:18 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Since I am awake after handling my son's nightly battle with diabetes (my wife is out of town, she has gotten to the point where she can do it in her sleep, I, on the other hand, am not as adept as she), I decided to do a little research between Fox News and the other news outlets.

Here is a quote from last year's election :

"" Let’s talk a little media bias here. The media, I think, wants Kerry to win. And I think they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards — I’m talking about the establishment media, not Fox — but they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all. There’s going to be this glow about them that some, is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that’s going to be worth maybe 15 points.”
— Newsweek Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas on the July 10 ""

Note that Mr. Thomas placed Fox News outside the establishment media. The rest speaks for itself.

Next - During last year's presidential campaign, the overall media (according to a study by the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism), Pres. Bush was 3 times as likely to have negative stories as was Sen. Kerry. This covered the time from June 1 until the election. Fox News was included in this study, as were NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, and the major magazines.

Several news organizations checked the numbers, and none disputed them. They also found that Fox was less critical of Bush and more critical of Kerry, not in absolute terms, but rather against this 3 to 1 ratio.

As for those who despise Fox News, I could post volumes of material about innaccuracies by CNN about a myriad of topics. Or we could discuss Dan Rather.

OR - you can watch what you like and be happy, and allow those of us who enjoy Fox News to do the same. I do, however, in all seriousness, also check out CNN and MSNBC, in order to catch all sides.

#109548 09/03/05 10:19 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Bren - We can only hope that she was praying ...

#109549 09/03/05 11:30 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't take the CCN headline as overtly negative. It sounds like news to me. I think it was a resonable response in light of the facts. Anyway I have steered clear of participating in this thread. I have read it all with great interest and points have been made by all. I really don't want to stir things up. However I will say this. We owe it to ourselves to get information from multiple sources. I personally feel anyone who gets all their information from one source, whatever source that may be has no right to voice an opinion. I am also not saying anyone here is getting their information from one source. The quality and thought provoking information presented here proves otherwise. This is a very well informed group.

My main reason for hopping in is to relate that my son and a few of his friends have joined a group of FEMA workers and volunteers to go to N.O. to help in any way they can. I wish I could have gone as well but I will have to limit my participation to food drives and cash donations(undisclosed thank you very much). I'm sure this will be taken as gratuitous by some but I just wanted to say how proud I am that my son is getting involved in this way.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#109550 09/03/05 01:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's a wonderful thing for him to do, Oz. Gratuitous or not, you have every reason to be proud.

I've been thinking about all the "where's the help," "what's taking so long," "Why have we refused outside help" comments. While I am in complete agreement that enduring even one day of what those people have endured is "too long," and share in the frustration with the apparent inactivity, I find it hard to pass judgment without knowing (1.) what it takes to mobilize a rescue mission of the size and complexity this situation requires, and (2.) what IS going on behind the scenes of which we are unaware. Do any of us here have a complete handle on those two issues?

From the survivors perspective, even one day is too long. However, if we knew what it took to mount this rescue, perhaps we might find doing it in 3 days (according to news reports, aid started arriving in quantity yesterday) was a doggone miracle. Perhaps not. When we take care of the critical issues, i.e. the people, there will be plenty of people to blame, including those who remained for frivolous reasons. I don't know about you, but telling me that ALL those people were physically unable to get out of the city stretches my credulity.

Other random thoughts available for comment.

1. It seems unwise to me to build a city below sea level on a hurricane prone coastline.

2. It seems unwise to me to build a house along a hurricane prone coastline, and unfair to then expect taxpayers to reimburse you so you can rebuild it in the same place when it gets taken out by a hurricane. I know that private insurance will be handling a lot of this, but I assume there will be a HUGE amount of money coming from the taxpayers for various services. I believe congress has already allocated billions of taxpayer money for this already.

3. Did anyone really doubt that the American people, along with aide from lots of other people around the world, would rise to the occasion with money, and supplies, and their time. Mark Schifter over at av123 ran a raffle that raised $10,000 in less than 48 hours, and is running a second one. Mike Dzurko over at ACI audio ran a raffle that sold out as quickly. Outlaw audio has one going at this very moment. I'd be surprised if EVERYONE here, within the scope of their abilities, hasn't contributed something, even if it's a little of their time. WE WILL get this done people.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#109551 09/03/05 01:14 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Jack, as is typical, that was an excellent post.

Oz, ditto that, with major "attaboys" to your family.

Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters