Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Proper Subwoofer level settings using SPL meter??
#11150 05/21/03 11:28 PM
jbowker Offline OP
OP Offline
Had a fire, so I'm in the process of rebuilding my HT.

One of the things I did when I set up my original system was to grab an SPL meter from work and use it to set levels.

One thing I noticed after I was done was that my subwoofer seemed really loud compared to the rest of the sound levels, and I tried to match SPL reading for it to the other speakers. Since my meter monitors from 1000 hz at the "center" freq.,,, this didn't seem like the right thing to do.. since the sub was crossed out at ~80. I "ear tuned" the sub and lived with it... but is there a better way to accomplish sub level setting with a meter?? From the specs I read on the RS models,, they are built the same way as the one I used from work.

The other option I considered was recommending that we needed a freq. specific meter at work,, but they're about $3500 or so,,, didn't think that recommendation would go over well with my boss, so dropped that one.... *grin*

Help,, I should be to the point of installing in fairly near future,,, once I've got a house again anyway.

Thanks

Re: Proper Subwoofer level settings using SPL mete
#11151 05/22/03 03:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When you use the RadioShack type of sound meter, it is very important to set the weighting curve to "C," which is the flattest curve available in inexpensive SPL meters. If you use the "A" or "B" curve, the sensitivity of the meter will be rolled off very significantly in bass frequencies, resulting in a marked over-calibration of the subwoofer (the meter thinks the sub level is too low).

With regard to the frequency spectrum analyzer, if you have a laptop Windows PC with a decent sound card, a real-time analyzer softwere (such as TrueRTA at $100) and a measurement mic/preamp (such as Behringer ECM8000, about $100-$150 with preamp) will make a precision spectrum analyzer at a fraction of cost for a stand-alone intrument.

Re: Proper Subwoofer level settings using SPL meter??
#11152 05/23/03 11:20 PM
jbowker Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info on which scale to use,, as an EH&S guy,, I'm only worried about the A-scale... Didn't even think to consider the weighting.... Now I DO have to get a new meter....

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044