Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Perfection, crazy, or anal?
#11511 05/30/03 12:47 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Now you might be wondering about the topic heading, and I’ll explain. Last night, I started to cut the grass. This was the first real cutting of the lawn as we in Southern Massachusetts have had rain nearly every weekend, and True Green keeps fertilizing. While cutting I happened to notice spots where I missed cutting. Veering form my pattern, I zoomed over and hit the missed spots. Continuing with my task, I circled very close to the flowerbed trying to get the last standing blade of grass. Satisfied, I think to myself, perfect. Meanwhile, one of my daughters, who is watching me from the front door, yells out “Dad it’s gonna grow you know, and you’ll just have to do it again”. After hearing her I remembered her asking me what I was doing last Saturday morning when she walked into the family room. I had my tripod, spl meter sitting on top of it, and yes had the on screen display for the Yammi on the set. “You at it again?” she asks. “You did that two weeks ago”. My reply was something like “Just trying to get better sound”.
This is where the topic header takes on meaning. Am I trying to perfect, am I crazy, or am I anal? I have always taken pride in the appearance of the lawn, but thing this Home Theater stuff, and especially Axiom may put me over the edge. Gone are the days of dropping the turntable deck of the “Record Player” and stacking 3 albums so they could drop in succession, gone are the days of hitting the power button on the receiver cranking out tunes, and gone are the days of my sanity.
If any of you fellow Axiom owners is a lawyer, do you think I might have a case against Axiom? That damn company has either driven me to perfection, or to the loony bin with a serious condition of being anal.
To further complicate matters, the weed wacker is hanging on it’s peg in the garage calling me…..

Re: Perfection, crazy, or anal?
#11512 05/30/03 11:10 PM
shareholder in the making
Dear Mr. Mastro:

Please be advised that the matter you describe appears to have merit and definitely would warrant the retention of legal counsel. However, you should be aware that for certain reasons a case of this nature cannot be handled on a contingent fee basis and will require that you submit a retainer in the amount of $50,000 to get things started.

Hoping to hear from you(and your check)at your earliest convenience, I remain

Yours truly,

A. Chaser, Attorney at Law
Licensed to practice in all States and Provinces

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#11513 05/31/03 12:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now that JohnK took care of the legal issues (lol), I have to ask you this burning question: Why did you want to calibrate the speakers again after two weeks? Did you move the speakers or otherwise changed your system or the room? Or was it just that you wanted to "recomfirm" if the previous calibration was perfect, even though nothing had been changed?

#11514 05/31/03 12:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK, the first hint that we have a problem here is ... "while I was cutting the grass last night ..." See, this isn't normal. Had a neighbor once with an obvious problem with stimulants, because this guy mounted headlights on his gas powered lawnmower and frequently awakened the neighborhood at 2 AM, headlights blazing, little gas engine screaming, cutting, cutting, cutting the grass. "What are you doing Frank?" "Just cutting the lawn, cuttin the lawn, Okileedokilee, okileedokilee ..."

OK, now to audio matters. Yes, Axiom speakers can change the whole way you deal with sound reproduction. I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture III towers - about $3000 for the pair, some RS3 side surrounds and an Infinity CC3 center speaker. I thought it was a cool system. On a lark I picked up a Merak MC6H center channel speaker for way under a $100 on an auction site ... it blew away the expensive Infinity. I found out that Merak was made by Axiom, so I picked up a pair of M3Tis. Holy Moly, a pair of little ~$220 Axiom M3s humiliated the Infinity towers. So, I sold the Infinity system, and have been picking up Axioms and Axiom made speakers ever since.

OK, so what does this have to do with mental illness? Well, now when I buy I have to time the shipping hoping no one will see any more audio equipment arriving.

Your system will never be perfect. You will never stop buying stuff to make it better. Practice excuses for family and friends.

You should definitely stop mowing your lawn in the middle of the night.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#11515 05/31/03 11:47 AM
buff
buff
Twodan19

I just want to warn you. Do not start reading anything over at this audio forum: http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html

Do not read anything in the tweak, cables,speaker, digital, or anyother of the Asylum forums.

You have been warned!

#11516 05/31/03 01:10 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
i realized i had not set the l/r balance correctly. now i have the sweet spot so precise, my chair is heaven. but please don't tell my wife!
dan

#11517 05/31/03 02:05 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
steven, how could you have done that to me in my condition. time to dig out the old crystal set and ear plug. what are your thoughts about a lawn tractor mounted crystal set? possibly mount next to the beer can holder??
dan

#11518 05/31/03 05:56 PM
Now, everyone just repeat after me: If you spend too much on equipment, you won't have any money for _content_. If you spend too much time tweaking said equipment, you won't spend any time _using_ it.

I had this revelation when I was thinking about buying new speaker cables for my POS speakers. (please, please don't start the speaker cable debate again; it's just an example ;-) and realized that instead, I could buy a bunch of DVDs.

That said, I still want a 7.1 set of Axioms and a combo SACD/DVD-Audio player. And a plasma screen. And a freakin' house I can put all of this stuff in!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#11519 05/31/03 09:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

i realized i had not set the l/r balance correctly. now i have the sweet spot so precise, my chair is heaven. but please don't tell my wife!

My diagnosis: You are healthy. Good and dandy. Get out of here before you become ill.

#11520 05/31/03 11:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know how you guys feel. I was at a local furniture shop searching for a sofa and chairs for our new place. I picked out this nice 7.5 feet low sitting italian straw beige sofa with nice tuffting buttons. My fiancee said the only thing that matches it well was 2 chairs by Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe "Barcelona Chair". We got the salesperson to tally it up. As I handed my card over I casually glanced at the total (knowing full well that the fiancee was clinging to my arm with love and adoration and contentment)... WOT!!!!! $4550 dollars!!!!!! ... I was going it over my head...holy crap!!!...thats the price for a new set of Epic 80 Home Theater in High Gloss Dark Cherry with a nice SVS CS-Ultra Subwoofer system!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters