Rate Thread
QS Surround placement
#116502 11/18/05 01:26 PM
G
regular
OP Offline
regular
G
OK, still trying to decide which to get (QS-4 or 8) but perhaps this diagram and description of my room will help as well as help tell me how to place these.

The north wall where the TV and front speakers are is 11 feet in length. A small alcove on the West wall has the entry door, and to the right of the TV is a 3 foot opening down a hallway. The dining room to the East of the living room is 9'x9'. Along its East wall is a large 6' sliding glass door to the outside. Along its south wall is a 3' opening to our kitchen. The small wall along the east side of the LR is 4.5' in length. The rear wall, where our couch is about 1 foot from the rear (wife doesn't want much more empty space behind couch) is 18' long. The west wall is 16' long to the alcove and entry door, and has two large windows.

The ceilings are 7' high.

If I placed the QS speakers at about 1.5' below the ceiling, it would be about 1.5' above our ears when seated. If they were placed directly in line with our ears side-to-side, then they would be about 1 foot from the rear wall. Would this be ok? Or should I wheedle and beg the wife for another foot off the rear wall, and still mount the speakers as above, so that they'll be about 1 foot behind our ears? Is adding any additional space between the back wall and the speakers of any merit? Also, there is 6' from my right ear on the right side of the couch (where I sit, against the east wall) to the wall, and 7.5' from my wife's left ear to the west wall - so the couch isn't perfectly centered along the south wall (can't, due to needing the TV to be centered on the North wall). I assume if need be I can adjust the volume for the one QS surround on the west wall to make up for this?

And given my overall dimensions and the fact that we don't listen to things very loudly, would I be OK with QS-4s, or should I invest the extra $100 for the 8s?

Last edited by greywolf; 11/18/05 01:39 PM.
Re: QS Surround placement
#116503 11/18/05 01:56 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I gotta tell you, my short answer would be to just get the QS-8s. There just isn't that much of a price difference, and speakers are a long-term investment... not something that gets replaced with a newer model every couple of years the way electronics do.

You'll always have the satisfaction of not wondering "what if" which is a serious drag on the whole "sit back and feel overwelmingly satisfied" feeling....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 450 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup