Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: RX-V2600 and M80's (hopefully)
#117693 12/17/05 04:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I have the PT-AE900U and I agree, it's an awesome projector. I myself have a 92" screen and I sit about 11-12' back with no problems whatsoever, no SDE at all.

Sutter

#117694 12/19/05 05:47 AM
M
regular
regular
M
Happy to ear you're satisfied with the M60s and EP500.. It had to be a very nice combinaison.

Will you be using your RX-V2600 in a 5:1 or 7:1 setup?

Re. screen, I noticed from Panasonic's PT-AE900U's specs that the wider you go, the less LUX (luminosity) you get.. I don't know what is a good useful minimal required LUX to fully enjoy watching a movie, live show, ... ? I guess that at 144in wide, you'll need to keep your room pretty dark at all time...

(Thanks SutterCane for your inputs re. 92in screen)

My PT-AE900U's and my RX-V2600 have been ordered.. I should get those just before christmas. I had a pretty good price on both of these items + I was getting an extra free lamp for the projector..

For the speakers, I'll have to finish up the room first.. Actually working on it. I just couldn't leave the speakers in my bedroom or living room until I'm done. My wife wouldn't like it very much, especially during Christmas familly reunions.

It will come soon enough.. I should finish the room during the holidays.

By the way, are you using a HDTV hi res. DVD player? Should I look for a DVD player that has HDMI interface?

I was told that my actual low cost DVD player would not use the full potentiel of the projector.. It would give a lower resolution than the 1280 x 720 native HD resolution the projector can support..

Keep me posted when you have everything setup..

Michel C

#117695 12/19/05 06:17 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Michel welcome. All present DVDs are 480i, so yes, no DVD player uses the "full potential" of a 720p native resolution display. The 480i information coming off the DVD has to be deinterlaced from i to p and scaled up from 480 to 720 so that the 720p device will display a full picture(but this still isn't a full 720 resolution as from a 720 source). If the player or receiver doesn't do this the projector itself will deinterlace and scale up to 720p. Unless a more expensive player would happen to do a visibly better job of this than the projector, it wouldn't necessarily result in an improved picture.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#117696 12/20/05 07:21 AM
gman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Michel, I purchased an OPPO DVD player which has HDMI output. The RX-V2600 will pass through any HDMI signals to your projector for upscaling via the projector to 720p (as John mentioned). One advantage of using an HDMI DVD player is the signal only needs to be upscaled, where as the component/s-video/composite sources will need to be converted to digital then upscaled. Whatever way you go though, all you need is one HDMI cable run to the projector!

I got a bit of bad news today. I got a call from Carada and they had held off on building my screen because they wanted to ensure I knew what I was ordering! Unfortunately, I forgot I gave them 2 email addresses and I missed their email messages from a week ago asking about my room size and projector location, etc. As it turns out, I think I'm going to take this opportunity to change to a 1.78 aspect ratio so I don't have to mess with the projector once I set it up. So, I probably won't receive my screen until next week or so.

BTW, I do have totally light controlled room and I've ordered a "Bright White" screen to ensure plenty of brightness with a 134-144" screen.

-gman

#117697 12/20/05 08:15 AM
M
regular
regular
M
Thanks John for your info..

You seems to know much about the subject.. Could you tell me if i'd be doing a good buy ( again knowing it will be use with Panasonic's projector that has HDMI input.) Would it be an improove product against everything on the market?

I'm looking at the Panasonic's DVD-S97 Universal Player that has the following specification:

YCbCr Resolution: 720X480X30/NTSC or 720X576X25/PAL (progressive and interlaced)

HDMI: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i

reference:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PanasonicDVDS97p1.php

Any other recommendations?

#117698 12/20/05 08:30 AM
M
regular
regular
M
Ok gman, so any DVD player that has HDMI output is an improovement in sound & image quality in our case?..

Is the 1.78 aspect ratio a 16/9, 4/3, other size screen? Can you tell me a little more about this choice since I'll also have to order one shortly..

I was looking in buying a Da-lite screen.. Is Carada a good product? What model are you then looking at buying? I find those screen pretty expensive..

#117699 12/20/05 08:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Michel,

A 1.78 aspect ratio is a 16:9 (widescreen) ratio for HD. There's a wide range of different aspect ratio's for various formats. Some of them are as follows:

1.78 - HD
1.33 - NTSC or PAL (Regular Tv) also known as 4:3
1.85 - Letterbox

Those are just a few examples, and there's others as well, but that gives you a general idea.

I probably could have broke that down and explained it a little better. There's a lot to this subject in terms of aspect ratios for various formats. When I have more time I'll post again with more detail.

I hope this helps a little though.

#117700 12/20/05 09:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ok Michel, here's the run down. I apologise up front, for this will be somewhat long winded. lol

Alright, I'll start with aspect ratio's followed by their respected formats. For the sake of this discussion, I'll stick with widescreen formats.

1.85 - Flat Widescreen
2.39 - 2:1 Anamorphic (Scope)
2.39 - Super35 (Scope)
2.39 - Techniscope
1.85 - 16mm
1.85 - Super16

1.85 - Flat Widescreen:
Very popular. Inefficient use of image area. Open-matte transfer of image fits televisions well. 1.66:1 in Europe.

Movie examples:
Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets, Saving Private Ryan, There's Something About Mary, Waterboy, The Truman Show

2.39 - 2:1 Anamorphic (Scope):
Uses a 2:1 horizontal squeeze in filming, and a 2:1 horizontal unsqueeze in projection. Very efficient use of image area. Does not translate well to television (44 percent image loss).

Movie examples:
Star Wars (all), October Sky, Blade, I Know What You Did Last Summer, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, My Best Friend's Wedding

2.39 - Super35 (Scope):
Uses silent aperture in shooting. 2.39:1 slice extracted from source and printed in scope format on theatrical release prints, requiring the 2:1 horizontal unsqueeze in projection. Very inefficient use of image area of source. Open-matte transfer of source fits televisions well.

Movie examples:
Independence Day, Titanic (except underwater scenes), Austin Powers (I and II), The Matrix, Air Force One

2.39 - Techniscope:
Poor man's scope. Runs film at half speed, using only 2 perforations per frame instead of 4. Scope theatrical release prints are made by blowing up each frame by a factor of 2 in the vertical direction only, which fits the "scope" release format perfectly. Note that this format used the image area very efficiently, but only has half the vertical resolution of films shot in anamorphic scope format.

Movie examples: THX-1138, American Graffiti, underwater scenes in Titanic.

1.85 - 16mm:
In shooting, very similar to 35mm flat widescreen format, except on a smaller scale. A 1.85:1 area is extracted from the 1.33:1 image area of the 16mm film and is blown up to 35mm, resulting in a hard-matted 35mm flat widescreen print. Movies shot this way look very grainy.

Movie examples: Clerks

1.85 - Super16:
In shooting, the soundtrack area of the 16mm film is used for image, resulting in a 0.493" by 0.292" camera aperture (1.69:1 aspect ratio). This source image is blown up to 35mm and printed in the flat format, resulting in a hard-matted 1.69:1 flat print, which is run at 1.85:1 in theatres, of course. Movies shot this way look very grainy.

Movie examples: Chasing Amy, Leaving Las Vegas

Now these are all film aspect ratio's in relation to their respected formats. In terms of what we're talking about here, you'll want a 1.78 ratio, which is the ratio designated for HD, more and less. You'll sometimes here it refered to as 1.76, or at least I have anyways.

In todays world of ATV (Advanced Television Standards), it pretty much boils down to the following, for the most part.

If you are a film buff and want to watch movies at home that are in the same format that was shown on the big screen, consider this: movies made for cinema screens are filmed with an aspect ratio of between 1.85:1 and 2.4:1, and the director consciously uses the entire screen to tell you the story. So when a movie is re-packaged for television broadcast, various editing methods are used to try and make everything on the large movie screen fit onto a 1.33:1 TV. That means that 40-50% of the movie is affected.

Another way to get cinema-sized films onto a TV is using the Letterbox format. Most people have heard of this. Letterbox means that no editing was done to the film, but rather the way that the TV screen is manipulated to match the aspect ratio of the film. By adding a black area along the top and bottom of the screen, often referred to as "black bars," the TV screen is able to mimic the aspect ratio of the movie screen. While you don't necessarily miss out on any action, this is not always an ideal solution because on smaller TV sets, the narrow strip where the movie appears is even smaller, making it hard to see all the details. The bigger the TV screen, the less problematic the letterbox will be.

Perhaps the greatest thing about widescreens is that they mean an end to the need for action-eliminating edits. Since the aspect ratio is of widescreen is closer to that found in movie theaters, there is plenty of room for the whole picture. However, because the aspect ratios do not match exactly, there may still be black bars around the movie (making it either letterboxed or sideboxed or both), but they will be narrower and therefore won't affect the image area as greatly.

And since more and more people are buying widescreens either in the form of a front projector or a RPTV, producers are filming specifically for widescreen formats. That means that there is more widescreen content available than ever before. Since more and more TV stations are expected to be broadcasting digitally and the top digital format, HDTV, can supply an aspect ratio of 16:9, widescreen will soon be everywhere. It is likely we will see the ubiquitous 4:3 TV slowly replaced by widescreens, in fact, it's already begining to happen.

To filter through all this, or to sum things up (Thank God Huh ), the official aspect ratio for all HDTV programming is 16:9. That's the case whether you receive your HDTV signals via local over-the-air broadcasts, digital cable service, or satellite TV. Even if you don't currently receive HDTV, you've probably noticed that more and more non-HD versions of HDTV programs are being shown in widescreen, like "The Sopranos" and "The West Wing." Many DVD movies are optimized for display on 16:9 screens. The technical term for these DVDs is "anamorphic", but their packaging usually says "enhanced for 16x9 televisions" or "enhanced for widescreen televisions."

Nearly all current Hollywood movies are shot at aspect ratios that are even wider than 16:9 (1.78:1). The two most common formats are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, as previously mentioned. A movie at 1.85:1 is close to a perfect fit for a 16:9 screen, and even a significantly wider 2.35:1 film matches up better with a 16:9 screen than a 4:3 screen.

At anyrate, I hope I've been able to shed some light on this subject for you. If nothing else, I hope I was able to help a little bit.

#117701 12/21/05 01:37 AM
M
regular
regular
M
Wow SutterCane..!

what a nice and complete explanation of what aspect ratio and formats are all about.. I'm sure this info will serve a lot more users.

A customer of mine is very active in the broadcast business and does most constructions and setups of TV studios around Montreal and Toronto, and like you said, TV networks have a lot of pressure to convert their equipment and studios to produce HDTV format programs.

I'll print your page info and keep it for records.

Thank you very much SutterCane for this well detailed explanation..!

#117702 12/21/05 01:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It's not a problem bud, we're all here to help each other out.

Sutter

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020