Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Speaker dilemma (On wall)
#117763 12/01/05 07:07 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i want to move into Dennis' house, he has everything, like 10 M80s, 3 or 4-600s (at least i think that's what it's up to now) and even a trap door.....my recommendation is when setting up an in-home demo of the onwalls with Dennis is be very, very nice!

"Chickens don't clap."
#117764 12/01/05 07:39 PM
devotee
devotee
Definitely am looking forward to more pics.

Maybe I will revisit the idea of onwall speakers for the home theater. I'll still keep the floor standers for music though . I can just her my wife now. "Do you really need two sets of speakers?!"

#117765 12/04/05 09:36 AM
W
regular
OP Offline
regular
W
OK, I got the w22's and have them sitting on my wife's new piece of furniture (amish credenza type piece). The color of the furniture and the speakers (Boston Cherry) are a perfect match. As for sound, to tell you the truth, they are necessary sufficient: meaning, I am very pleased with both the aestetics and the sound! Go figure! How often does that happen.

So, with all the arguments that I have heard regarding brightness, harshness, etc. What I have to say about all those arguments is that yes, they are bright, but in a warm way. In other words, I think they are accurate as far as the music I listen to. I am a conniseur of acoustic music first, then country rock, then reggae. The w22's have past my test for sufficient and necessary. Let me put it this way, I was willing to pay $5000 for a good stereo set up: now I am going to spend the $4300 on something else. Lastly, I am not a push over nor an idiot savant. I like my music, more than most of my friends, AND I am very pleased, not to mention my wife who is glad I am not spending $5000.

An Honest response,

dale

#117766 12/04/05 01:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nicely said, Dale. If they are "sitting on my wife's new piece of furniture," I'm assuming they are not wall mounted yet. According to Tharkun (forum member, Dennis), who has the W3s in his bedroom, once mounted, they sound even better.

While we certainly enjoy hearing praise for the Axioms, what pleases us most, here on the forum, is that you've found a system that satisfies YOU. That, by far, is the most important thing. ENJOY!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#117767 12/04/05 01:47 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That was one of the best replies I've read in some time.Congrats and as Jack said most importanly ENJOY.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#117768 12/05/05 08:57 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

What I have to say about all those arguments is that yes, they are bright, but in a warm way. In other words, I think they are accurate as far as the music I listen to.

I think I know what you mean because I believe my Monitor Audio speakers have a very similar characteristic (similar metal cone drivers).

Sounds like your passion for music is much like my own. I suspect that I would enjoy listening to the on wall and I know that my wife would also enjoy seeing the onwall speakers (especially if I got rid of the floor standers).

#117769 12/06/05 02:12 AM
W
regular
OP Offline
regular
W
Yes, I am pleased with them thus far. I wish they would have made these with the 6.5 inch mid/woofers. They are very attractive. I thought about the W3s?, buying two sets and mounting them as if, but, nah! Too much of a hassle. I did purchase a velodyne sl800-r sub for them. I was using a def tech 8 inch with a 250 watt amp, but the new velodyne comes with an auto eq on board with microphone to tune the sub to the room. It also is compact in size (which means it will fit where I need it to) and it has on onboard 1000 watt amplifier. Pretty snazzy me thinks. All in all, I believe to be a good purchase.

#117770 12/06/05 02:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just back from visitng Axiom and John Bridgman, had a great time.

I only have two of the EP600s, I'm not going to even going to try at keeping up with others that are having more than two of them.

I hope to get back to finishing up the W3s this week or next and I will post bettter pics once they are finished up. Well at Axion on last Friday, I did a blind test of some speakers. I had no clue what was behind the black curtain, had a selection of CDs and after listening for about 30 minutes, I completed the blind test form. Between speaker A and B it was really a diffacult choice, but I felt I prefered speaker A, since to my ears it had a tad bit more base and slightly better sound. But either speaker would have been a good choice in my opinion.

Later when I asked Ian what I had listend to, I was surprised, neither were floor standing speakers. The A speaker was the M2, the B speaker was the W2. A sub woffer had been added to aid with base. If I had been asked to guess what I had listened to was, it would have been a floor standing speaker of some type. So from that test, guess I have spent a lot more for speakers than needed. LOL

#117771 12/06/05 08:10 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Later when I asked Ian what I had listend to, I was surprised, neither were floor standing speakers. The A speaker was the M2, the B speaker was the W2. A sub woffer had been added to aid with base. If I had been asked to guess what I had listened to was, it would have been a floor standing speaker of some type. So from that test, guess I have spent a lot more for speakers than needed. LOL

Simply amazing. I really have to take a trip out there with the wife. She wants us to drive out there so we can pick up speakers directly. She doesn't seem to to care that the shipping is free.

I think I am slowly getting brainwashed into downsizing even further. My wife would love it if I ditched the floor-standers.

I guess there is nothing to it except to order some onwalls when the theater room is complete and do my own A/B comparison. Now the question is....W22s or W3s? Based on the construciton of the VP150, I am leaning towards the W22s.

#117772 12/06/05 08:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>So from that test, guess I have spent a lot more for speakers than needed. LOL

Trust me, you wouldn't have said that if you tested at 120 dB

When I was running M2 mains with the SVS sub in a small listening area (one end of a 13x23 room) the results were as good as anything I have heard. I don't think the M2s gave anything up to the larger speakers.

As you stood/sat further back, though, you couldn't play at the volumes you wanted. Getting a "wall of sound" on music CDs was out of the question. That's where the bigger speakers (ie more drivers) really start to shine. With a 28 x 28 room and 115-125 dB music SPL I think you need all the drivers you can get

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup