Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: MonoPrice cables
HomeDad #136953 06/03/06 05:58 PM
shareholder in the making
So we have a flame war over him asking the questions? That's kind of silly.

Yeah, we've been over and rehashed several times, and I probably got into the protest over that with my first post. Anyway, here's the article I always used to post in the speaker cable threads:

Ultralink cable

Mind you, I have these on my mains, or at least a similar design (I used Canare Quad Star from Blue Jeans). I did it because I thought it was a cool project. I did not expect it to sound any better than 14 gauge zip cable. Heck, on the distances I've been using, I don't expect it to sound any better than 16 gauge cable.

Now, I know that a certain person will come on and swear up and down that he hears differences with his cables. I concede that that is possible, since he uses extraordinarily thin cables, which probably attenuate the high end to some degree due to resistance. He will disagree with me, and say that I never listen to anything, so I don't have a right to talk. Hence our general tiredness of this topic.

In any case, there is very little magic involved with transmitting a signal from an amplifier to a mechanical transducer.

As for the digital cables, although we haven't gotten into this one, this article is worth a read:
Coat hanger
Well, that wasn't quite the article I wanted, and it's awful old, but basically the demo's there near the bottom.

I don't know about optical, but here's something to think about: data integrity in computer networks is a tad more important than audio, as far as the industry is concerned. (audiophiles may have a different opinion). However, the computer/network industry has no problems using optical/electrical converters in networks; in fact fibre is often favored. For those who say that there are correcting mechanisms, sure. How about fibre channel then? Not so many correcting mechanisms, and it has to be faster. Optical fiber and copper work about the same; heck, optical works better because it goes farther.

That said, I don't use optical in my setup. Why not? no particular reason--I didn't have any optical cables lying around. But the connectors aren't necessarily as solid as Coax from what I've seen, and the cables can be bent into breaking. Copper just seems more durable. But that's an emotional response--I haven't done any reasearch on that.

I doubt any of this will convince you; it's remarkably hard to convince people of anything online. But I changed my mind. Granted, I have never been on a Kimber factory tour, but I did read up on their stuff extensively. I have a hard time believing that my audio is so bad that veils will be lifted and things will be tightened if I just change a length of copper.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: MonoPrice cables
SkiTaos #136954 06/03/06 06:00 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #136955 06/03/06 06:14 PM
devotee
devotee
Just to add. I have my speakers connected via IXOS XHS756 cables. Most would consider them pretty high end speaker cable.

I have also played my speakers with 5 dollar cables and there is no difference.

Re: ..
NEW2AXIOM #136956 06/03/06 06:15 PM
Kinda pretty, though!

Ken.C #136957 06/03/06 06:29 PM
veteran
veteran
If you've got the money and want to spend it on cables go ahead. I don't buy there is a difference myself, but if I had some extra cash I'd buy a reasonably priced set just because it's some great "eye candy". I'm not sure why many people here get up in arms about spending cash on expensive audio equipment and accessories. If people have the money, who cares.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 #136958 06/03/06 06:37 PM
Because they often tell those of us who don't that we either have tin ears or we're just stupid.

Mind, I'm not saying that this is the case here.

Ken.C #136959 06/03/06 07:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Several thoughts.

1. If one is going to frequent this, or any, forum on a regular basis, I think one is going to find the same questions come up, again and again. Since new people arrive all the time trying to learn just as we did, it just comes with the territory and should be expected, and hopefully accepted?

To me, the choice is either try to help the questioner or ignore the question and move on. Often, my involvement is unnecessary because the question is adequately answered by others.

2. Ski, without meaning to put words in their mouths, I think (emphasis on the uncertainty) the reason Mark and those who get upset at seeing this question, and others like it, come up again, is not so much because it's already been discussed ad nauseum, but because those discussions have inevitably, and to our shame, disintegrated into quarrels, which, is unpleasant for all concerned, particularly those not directly involved in the thread.

3. I feel all on topic opinions, whether I agree with them or not, should be welcome here.

Personally, I believe there is little, if any, audible difference between well constructed cables. Poorly constructed cables are a different matter. The reason that is my belief is because I have come across no credible scientific evidence proving otherwise, and have, in fact, come across much credible scientific evidence upon which to base my belief.

However, as the regulars here know (apologies to them for the redundancy) I am a firm believer that "because I like it," and "because I want it" are perfectly valid reasons for making any purchase. In the past, I've spent just a bit more than is necessary on my cables because I like well made, decent looking cables. However Monoprice.com, is now satisfying my needs and wants at a price more reasonable than I've found elsewhere, and so far, I'm most impressed.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 #136960 06/03/06 07:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I'm not sure why many people here get up in arms about spending cash on expensive audio equipment and accessories. If people have the money, who cares.

It's the "if people have the money" part that is important. I don't present my opinion on this matter to try to dissuade those who believe there is a major difference in the sound quality of cables from their belief. It is my intent to inform the new, untrained neophyte, who doesn't know better, that there is no scientific proof that there is any audible difference between cable, and thus spending a lot of money on them is, IMHO, unnecessary. Once that point is made, I have no problem with anyone spending what they want on cables or anything else. As one who has Rockefeller desires and skid row pockets I just don't want anyone, particularly me , spending more money than is necessary, unless that is their informed decision.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #136961 06/03/06 07:19 PM
Quote:

the reason Mark and those who get upset at seeing this question

Hey Jack, you missed this one!

I'm not at all upset about the question or the idea that someone new to a forum would ask a common question. I would expect it. For what it's worth, the topic is not a hot button for me; I'm not sure if I've ever even let my opinion be known on the subject.

Newcomers post common questions here all the time. What I object to is the tone that "Ski" has been using:

"If you don't care about having a great system, thats fine."

"Alright! Why let it go? I am here to LEARN as well. Instead getting huffy puffy, explain what you mean!"

"I don't care if this topic has showed up a million times! This is the here and now, and I am interested in learning about cables."

"I don't care if you have or anyone has been down this path before. "

Maybe, in all fairness, I'm misinterpreting his tone... it's certainly not uncommon on the internet. If so, I apologize. But if I am correctly reading his tone, I stand by my posts that many will likely choose not to answer and that doing a simple search will bring him lots of relevant information.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ajax #136962 06/03/06 07:24 PM
Case in point:

When I first came across these boards, I had Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 1s as my speakers, and an old, vaguely functional Toshiba silver face receiver from the early 80s.

I was actually thinking about spending money on Kimber cables in order to improve my sound in leiu of saving for new speakers.

Doesn't make much sense in hindsight--no cables could give me any midrange with those speakers; nor would they have fixed the left channel dropout problem on the receiver. But they would have cost me at least 1/8 of the price of my M50s, and for a just married guy just out of college, that's some money.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 897 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup