Wireless Router recommendations, please
#140685 06/05/06 03:58 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Dear Friends,

I had been using a D-Link router successfully (don't remember the number - maybe a 614) for a couple years. It stopped behaving recently (on all fronts), so I re-employed the old Netgear (non-wireless) unit it had replaced. Having consequently restored internet access to the main computer (it's wired), I'm clear for a few days.

However, I have two older machines that I do like to use that require wireless 802.11/b access (not G). Having to Sneakernet files off the laptop is beginning to harsh my mellow.

I am disinclined to reward D-Link with additional business, so am pursuing Belkin, Netgear and Linksys. I have become confused.

I understand that "modern" g routers are backward compatible, but their effectiveness at communicating with b devices seems to vary according to reviews I've seen.

In addition, I was recently seduced by the notion that this Netgear seems to include a USB port, which would seemingly enable me to easily connect an external USB drive without having a dedicated file server (and the associated network configuration issues of which I am aware but not expert). My wife's computer probably needs a new and/or bigger hard disk anyway (since I've filled it up with pictures and music), so putting the shared multimedia somewhere else makes some sense. I think if I slick and reinstall the OS on the existing drive, I might be okay.

We don't game. The connectivity is for stupid stuff like transferring files and browsing only.

There are three devices hard-wired (two desktops and a printer) and two wireless (kids computer and laptop). At any given time, only two of them would be concurrent, probably.

Cost is always an issue. I don't do this for a living.

Thanks very much for your always sage advice.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Wireless Router recommendations, please
tomtuttle #140686 06/05/06 04:09 PM
devotee
devotee
That netgear router that you link to is pretty good (I don't have it but I have a few friends that have it and they say it works great).
I personally have an old Linksys WRT54G which I love since it allows me to tinker with it since it runs Linux.

I don't think that it matters that much which kind you get if you're only gonna use it for casual 802.11b connectivity.

As a matter of fact most of the problems come when you have both g and b devices connecting at the same time; in which case the g devices tend to slow down considerably. Now there are some routers that do a better job and where the performance hit isn't as great. Bottom line if all your wireless devices are b then it won't really matter and any g router will work fine. It's more a question of cost/taste/features and I'm sure somebody will chime in and recommend some models.

skyhawk669 #140687 06/05/06 04:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I would go with a WRT54G as well. Netgear has had some interesting problems with compatibility, and Belkin I wouldn't trust to make more than cables and KVMs. Even then...

D-Link I wouldn't trust to make a paper airplane if given the instructions, materials, and about 2 weeks. Worst wireless router I have ever used. Sent it back (finally) for warranty replacement. Got a new one. Had the same problems. Threw it in the trash, bought the Linksys, and haven't looked back. At least the Linksys only needs rebooting once a month or so....

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
tomtuttle #140688 06/05/06 04:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've installed a few wireless setups in people's homes, and I always get them 1 router, the WRT54G. Rock solid.

I use it at home, it's great, keeps the connection up if it gets disconnected, wireless security options are amazing, can't go wrong!

Yea, I have my wireless network so locked down with that thing...WPA-TKIP encryption, the SSID is hidden, I have a MAC address filter, and I only let 4 network users on at a time. No one is getting on to my network

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
tomtuttle #140689 06/05/06 04:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
WRT54GS set-up and used many of them best of the bunch

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
danmagicman7 #140690 06/05/06 04:57 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Excellent recommendations, guys. Thanks so much. I knew I could count on you!

That model definitely was on my radar. There was a CNET review that expressed some concern over compatibility with .b devices.

Is there a reason why I would NOT get the GS model? It seems slightly more robust and is basically the same price now.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #140691 06/05/06 05:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have been using a Linksys routers for years, and was going to recommend it. But, it's been so long since I've even looked at it, I couldn't remember the model number. So, I got down on my knees with my flashlight, and YUP! WRT54G. Been performing beautifully and never turned off.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
tomtuttle #140692 06/05/06 06:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tom, I actually prefer the WRT54G over the WRT54GS. I think I liked the firmware better on the WRT54G model. I actually think linksys is replacing the WRT54GS with WRT54GL, just looked on their website.

Either way, you aren't going to see much of a difference, find the one that saves you more money.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #140693 06/05/06 06:21 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
WRT54GS here with no problems!

bugbitten #140694 06/05/06 07:53 PM
devotee
devotee
There isn't much difference between the two unless you want to mess around with the firmware. The WRT54G is better if you want to tweak its Linux OS and add a lot of nifty features. But beyond that they're pretty much the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters