Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Joe VaSSallo
real80sman #141149 06/09/06 08:39 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

Having known Joe all my life, I thought I would post some of my memories.

Joe is the only boy of 8 siblings. Yep, that's right - he has 7 sisters!! Over the years, no matter which sisters may be fighting or on the "outs", everyone still remains on good terms with Joe. He always seems to be the binding neutral force within the family. Looking back, I've never seen him angry. Always a smile. Always happy to see you.

Joe is the "fun" uncle. With such a zest for life, going to his house is always a treat. He does nothing half way. It is full-boar, all or nothing, take no prisoners. And man, he loves his toys. Back in the seventies, he had the loudest stereo I ever heard. I remember being 7 or 8 and the thing bringing me to my knee's and making my eyes water. I was hooked. Come to think of it, he still has the loudest stereo......

When CB's were popular, he threw up something like a 100ft tower for the antenna. Back when they made real 4x4 pick-ups and jeeps, he took his and jacked it up 5 ft in the air, and threw on the biggest mud tires that were available.

He has had street bikes, and his son's have had numerous off road bikes. He even hand welded an off road sand/mud buggy from scratch with a roll cage and 6 forward gears. Not to mention the boat and all the cars.

Whenever something new electronically comes out, he's the first one to buy it. Top loading Beta & VHS machines, Laserdiscs, CD players, DVD players, the Commodore 64, the very first Sony walkman, video projectors, and on and on. There is always something new. Shoot, even just last month when I was up, we were playing with some prototype electronics that I'm not allowed to talk about.

Then there is the air brushing and the art school. And something you may not know about is his VaSSallo Girl skin care products.

Being around him is exciting. He has this "can do" attitude about everything in his life. Never any self doubt. He grabs each day by the horns and has fun with it. We all love him dearly.

Sounds like a damn fun guy to be friends with. Your lucky to have him as a friend. Good friends like that are hard to come by.

On top of him being a good friend, he sounds like 1 cool cat!

NEW2AXIOM #141150 06/09/06 09:05 PM
shareholder in the making
Sound like he's an uncle AND a friend.

real80sman #141151 06/09/06 09:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
7 sisters! Holy Mackerel! When they were all growing up, I'd bet the bathroom traffic schedule was interesting. Poor Joe must've gotten about 20 seconds per day. YIPES!

Thanks for sharing that with us, Shawn.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
pmbuko #141152 06/09/06 09:29 PM
local
local
i was saddened to hear about the news.......joe helped me make speaker choices in a very professional and calm manner.....thank you and good luck....

newkid2005 #141153 06/09/06 09:40 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I too believe in miracles. My prayers are with the whole Axiom family.

bugbitten #141154 06/09/06 11:09 PM
D
D
My first post here. This thread is becoming a testament to Joe, and I'd like to add to that process...

I've known Joe and the Axiom folks for years now, ever since they first asked me for some help with their Web site (it's my business). Their dedication and near-crazed passion for delivering amazing sound struck me on our first meeting. And they've not needed me after the first month or two as they are the fastest learners I've ever seen.

Since then, I've become a huge fan of Axiom. We have their speakers all over the house. Most recently, I upgraded our home theatre system to 7.2, adding their "beast" subwoofer and two more QS8s.

(The professional installers were totally blown away by the sound. Now, these guys have installed every super-high-end system you can imagine in some of the best homes in Montreal, but they asked me how THEY could buy Axiom for their homes!)

Every step of the way, Joe's been there to advise with passion about what works best for whatever it was that I wanted to do. And I do mean "passion." The man eats, lives and sleeps audio.

A few months back, Ian and Amie called (I'm also a physician). Joe had been diagnosed as having inoperable cancer. No panic, let's get a second opinion. You can almost always do SOMETHING and that first diagnosis can be wrong.

Full investigations revealed the worst. Palliation only.

I've talked to Joe many more times about his current disease than I ever did about speakers. That first call, and every one since, have formed the most amazing experience I have ever had as a doctor. (I'm not his family physician, just a second opinion and someone he can call anytime, although he never has.)

Dying patients normally go through a process, from denial to anger to depression and finally, acceptance. Joe STARTED at acceptance.

Calm and realistic, there was no question about doing anything heroic that would reduce the quality of the good days he had left. No rage. No depression. Joe is EXACTLY the same person we all know and love. If you talked to him, you'd have no hint that he is dying. He is LIVING the weeks that remain to him on this earth.

This is way beyond courage. I don't even have a word to define Joe's response, except to call it "Joe."

He continues to go into work because it's not "work" -- it's what he loves to do. THAT is part of how he figures he can get the best of the days remaining to him. Family is another big part, of course. And through it all, he does indeed have one brother...

Ian Colquhoun. Their love for each other goes beyond friendship. We will all miss Joe, but Ian and Amie are losing a family member, in the most profound sense of that word.

Joe, you are an inspiration. Thank you for the lessons I have learned by knowing you. You are the kind of person who makes me hope that there is an afterlife.

I know you'll live THAT journey with the same smile and passion as you have this one.

Your friend,
Ken Evoy

DrKen #141155 06/09/06 11:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for insight Dr. Ken, Joe sounds like an amazing individual ... as is everybody there at Axiom.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #141156 06/09/06 11:46 PM
Joe:
We've never met, nor even talked on the phone, but it's obvious that you're one of the (very) good guys! It sounds as though you have the love of several families and you are passionate about the various endeavors and work you've shared with others. I wish you Peace.

I didn't see a link to this earlier in the thread: Joe's Page.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #141157 06/10/06 12:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe,

I've never met you but you have obviously touched so many lives in such a positive way.

Thank you for being you.

Wayne Cook

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp
FordPrefect #141158 06/10/06 01:11 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
This is very sad news to read. I don’t know what I’d do if I ever received similar news, but have thought about it from time to time. And each time I do think about it, I come to the conclusion that I’d just spend as much quality time as I could with my remaining days with the ones I love, doing the things I love to do. It sounds as if that’s what you are doing Joe. I’m not much of a religious fella, but I do believe that our life on earth is only the first step in a greater journey and that our lives here are just the beginning. I wish you and your family happiness and that you can all enjoy the time you have left together.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,076 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup