Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New User with lots of questions
Bobbyh #141267 06/10/06 11:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mornin' Bob; glad you're still here!

And yeah, Randy; "even" a 12" f5 Dob still sounds pretty impressive to me! Looking for Dark Matter could be fun(just what IS it anyway!)but I'd be happy finding simply Dark Skies!!

But I think, Bob; that looking for the receiver with the features you want/need is a good way to go at that!

Worked for me!

....except I wish my older Onkyo had the ability to set each speaker crossover independently.

Anyway...

And even though I've been typing for.....um,...started playing 'round with a typewriter in oh, 'bout '48 or so....how many years would that......?

Still, I still have to look at the keys when I type and when it gets dark and the kids are asleep I have to move the keyboard up on the shelf where the monitor is to gain enough light to see what I'm typing.

In the time between when it's dark enough to move the keyboard, but I haven't moved it yet, I take more time squinting in the dark going from eyes on the monitor to "see" the mistakes, to trying to see the keys again til my eyes get used to the dark all over again.....arrrrrrrrgh!!

But I digress.

So Yeah! Get out there and get a receiver that does the things that you want by a reputable manufacturer, and we'll talk about room size and listening preferences, and all that good stuff, so that you can get some new speakers and we'll all have some fun!!
Rich.

tomtuttle #141268 06/10/06 12:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>> y'all weird.

No kidding!

Welcome Bob! I have an H/K 635 that has driven a pair of 80s in the past and are currently driving a 6 ohm VP150 wired in parallel with an 8 ohm VP100 for a total of 3.5 ohms with no problem. I consider it to be fine receiver with a lot of features and if you are considering the 635 to drive your Axions I believe there are some great deals out there at the moment due to the fact that the AVR 645 will be out soon.

Rick
Our Room

smile
F107plus5 #141269 06/12/06 02:59 PM
B
Bobbyh Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Hi Everybody,

My wife and I will be retiring soon so we are down sizing everything. We just moved into our retirement home. The room we will be using for most for our entertainment will be our living room. It is not ideal for sound but it is the only place in the house we can place a large screen TV and sound equiptment. The room is 18 x 12 and has a high ceiling about 12 ft. That means we will have a bout 3000 cubit feet of space. The room has hard wood floors, a brick fire place and a picture window. The room is furnished with a reclining Sofa and a reclining love seat. I would love to use M80's in this enviorment but my wife would kill me.

After all this whole thing started after we heard some Bose surround equiptment. My wife was real happy that the speakers would hardly be seen. It has been difficult at best to convince her that we should use book shelf speakers.

By looking at the pictures of the Epic masters She agrees they look attractive, but refuses to move beyond that size.
So there is were I am at the moment. I would like bigger speakers, but have to compromise. Neither my wife nor I have a "golden ear", but we both appreciate good sound. Especially since my son is a professional Opera singer and we listen to a variety of music from Opera to Pop.

Enough about us for now. Talk with you guys some more as we progress.

Thanks again.

Bob & Annie
Nikki (CAG)
McGyver (GW)
Sasha (Persian Kitty)

Bobbyh #141270 06/12/06 03:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome Bob,

I will give you the standard forum reply, first uttered by our own Ray3 (must give credit where credit is due), when faced with a difficult situation such as yours. Sell the wife! Ray, like you and I, is retirement age, and knoweth whereof he speaketh.

I have a room about the same length and width, but with only an 8 ft. ceiling. Truthfully, I've never heard any of the speakers in the Epic Master systems (M3s/VP100/QS4s/Ep175/Ep350/EP500), except the EP500 subwoofer, one of which proudly sits in the corner of my room. Thus, it's difficult for me to assess whether any of the systems would be enough for your room. However, I feel very safe in saying any of them will embarrass the Bose system.

The best advice I can give is recommending you pick up the phone; give Axiom a call; and explain your needs, wants, and wifely limitations. They are very nice, down to earth folk, will NOT try to hype you into anything you neither need nor want, and they certainly will be able to provide knowledgeable advice about the Epic Master systems. I assure you the results will be well worth the expense of the call.

Keep working on the wife about the M80s. Try the "but honey, if we get them in a custom wood finish they'll look like works of art" routine.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #141271 06/12/06 04:08 PM
B
Bobbyh Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Ajax,
Right now I am still laughing so hard I can hardly type. I don't think selling the wife will be a good solution. I could end up with the garage and that is not a good place for a surround system.

Calling Axiom is on the agenda. I really need to get out and and decide on a receiver. The one that is I seem to be leaning toward is an HK AVR 635. They are really coming down in price as the next version is starting to Ship.

By the way it sounds like you must have one hell of a system.

Thanks for the advise, but I am keeping the wife.
Bob & Annie
Nikki (CAG)
McGyver (GW)
Sasha (Persian Kitty)

Bobbyh #141272 06/12/06 07:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Thanks for the advise, but I am keeping the wife.

Oddly enough, that's the only response we've ever gotten to our sage advice. I can't figure it out.

I have a "very nice" system, thank you. And compared to what I owned for 30 years, I guess calling it "one hell of a system" isn't too much of a stretch. The same can be said for many of the forum member's systems. But if you hang around this hobby long enough, you'll run into people that will boggle your mind with their systems. Some even have 4 subwoofers. Lest you think I jest, I offer the following

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #141273 06/12/06 08:15 PM
B
Bobbyh Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
All I can say is WOW

Bobbyh #141274 06/12/06 08:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Thats Craigsub's basement theater room, right Jack?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Bobbyh #141275 06/12/06 09:19 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
After reading all this, I have come to the conclusion that your wife must be incredibly hot. I'm keeping mine, too, but if I told her I had to have the M80s she would relent.

littleb #141276 06/13/06 12:19 PM
B
Bobbyh Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
B
Hi littleb, Actually my wife and I have only been married for 7 years, so the bedroom is still the playroom. We may be old but we are not dead.

Bob & Annie
Nikki (CAG)
McGyver (GW)
Sasha (Persian Kitty)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (2x6spds), 880 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup