Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
basement theater HELP!
#143157 07/07/06 01:52 PM
N
regular
OP Offline
regular
N
Hi all! I am setting up a theater in my basement and need some advice as it’s in the planning stage now.

The theater is going into the basement of a home that is being built. The basement has been designed to give me a 9 foot ceiling, 8 foot after plumbing, HVAC, etc is installed. The walls are studded out 16” on center and already insulated. After moving in we just need to add electric, etc and sheet rock the walls.

Front: Architectural Series W22
Center: Architectural Series W150
Surrounds: QS-8’s
Rear: Architectural Series W2 or W3 (any recommendations?)
Preamp/Processor: Outlaw Audio 970
Amps: Outlaw Audio M2200 (200W Mono Amps)

My thought process for this design:
1. Keep all/most of the audio/speaker components off the floor and hidden from direct view; leaving the space as open as possible.
2. Provide enough amp power to make it feel real but not more then required. Outlaw has a 7-Channel amp that delivers 125Watts per ch, but I thought the additional head-room of the 200W would give breathing room and future proof the design.
3. Using the On-Wall Speakers allows them to become part of the room and not an object to be seen.
4. Utilize the space for the theater but keep the rest available for entertaining, pool table, bar, etc.
5. Make it look pleasing to the eye, sound good to the ear, and not be over kill but just enough to add enjoyment to our lives.
6. Movies/Music ratio: 60/40

Some questions I have are:

1. Will the architectural series speakers give me the “real” theater experience or do I need floor standing speakers (the ones most people in the forum seem to use, M60’s etc.)?
2. Will the SUB be enough for the space as the right side of the room opens to another large room?
3. Would the amp power be too much for the speakers I have listed?
4. Would you recommend a different location for the theater area?
5. Would like to hide the QS-8’s….would a W22 work (ceiling/wall mounted) or do you recommend the Di/Bi-polar speakers for surrounds?
6. Does anyone have a setup like this that can make some recommendations?
7. Does anyone have any of the architectural series speakers and can comment on them in the theater environment?

Please look at the attached .jpg and give me your comments or suggestions. Let me know if you think this is a good idea. It’s in the planning stage now so I am up for any assistance you can provide.

Thanks a bunch.
Joe

Re: basement theater HELP!
newbeinNJ #143158 07/07/06 03:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Quite the room you have going there. Given that it's about 25X13 (approx.) I would definately go with something a bit bigger. I don't have much experience with the Arch. series of speakers, but I am not sure how they would do in such a large environment.

If it were me, I would def. go with the amps, and get some 60's or 80's plus a 500 or 600 sub (or any other brand sub) to get the most sound, in the space. QS8's will be fine...but there is so much possibility with that room.

Maybe others will chime in, but if it were me, and my train of though, I would just go with M80's all around, and a couple of 500's. But, since you are looking to 'hide' it all, and not consume too much space...I guess the Arch. series would be an OK choice as well.

Good luck with the decision.

newbeinNJ #143159 07/07/06 03:50 PM
P
P
This is all too wierd. I have a similar basement configuration and remodeling plan though the basement is a long way from being finished. Lots of boxes laying around, studs around the stairway and cement walls. I spoke with our contractor and purchased the audio equipment so he would be able to build the walls and cabinetry to support my equipment. Hopefully the work will start soon. I set up my stuff in the basement last week and it sounds awesome. The acoustics are a little harsh on the ears so I'm hoping with a few walls, furniture and little decoration it will sound nice.
It sounds like we shop at the same places. I have a pair of W22s (F) W150 (C) and a pair of QS8 (Sur). This is anchored by an EP500 sub. I got a custom finish which looks great and I think is worth the extra $. This is all driven by an Outlaw 990 and 5x2200 amps. I'm really happy with the performance so far.
I will be watching your thread with much interest!

inthedeck #143160 07/07/06 05:43 PM
N
regular
OP Offline
regular
N
Quote:

If it were me, I would def. go with the amps, and get some 60's or 80's plus a 500 or 600 sub (or any other brand sub) to get the most sound, in the space. QS8's will be fine...but there is so much possibility with that room.

Good luck with the decision.

I thought that the in-walls might not be able to play nice in the large area....however how much power is required. I see that many people are doing the M60 or M80's all around but wonder, what do I gain by doing that. I always thought that the rear/surrounds don't receive the full audio spectrum so having speakers that go down to the lowest of low dosen't make sence....unless I am wrong.

As for the sub, i suspected it might be too small for that amount of space, wonder if there is a really good one that is designed to fit between the studs and hide in the wall. I was at Boston Acoustics web site and found they make one...but is doing that over-kill?

You'r right, the rooms has so much posibilities....but figuring out what would work the best within budget is the key.

I see that Poodleman is doing the same setup for the same reasons and I will look to him for updates and possibly pictures of his setup. But with that said, the more people chime in the better. Again, this is in the design stage so making changes now is easy.

Poodleman #143161 07/07/06 06:28 PM
N
regular
OP Offline
regular
N
Quote:

. I set up my stuff in the basement last week and it sounds awesome. The acoustics are a little harsh on the ears so I'm hoping with a few walls, furniture and little decoration it will sound nice.
It sounds like we shop at the same places. I have a pair of W22s (F) W150 (C) and a pair of QS8 (Sur). This is anchored by an EP500 sub. I got a custom finish which looks great and I think is worth the extra $. This is all driven by an Outlaw 990 and 5x2200 amps. I'm really happy with the performance so far.
I will be watching your thread with much interest!

I think it gets weirder as I will be in Villanova late next week (near you i think) and I have never been out that way before.

Either way, I think you will probably notice a large difference once you wall-to-wall carpet the area, add chairs/etc to absorb the reflected sounds from the concrete walls.

May I ask why you went with the 200W amps? For me it seems that the additional head room would be necessary when watching movies. As for music it would be overkill. But I would rather have more then less when it comes to power. I saw other posts recommending better/larger speakers instead of the bigger M2200 amp and then using the Outlaw 7125 to power the larger speakers. Did you try different sized amps before making the decision?

What about the W22’s…they look like they are very attractive speakers once put on the walls, but do you think they provide enough sound for your size room?

At this point, I think keeping the floor space open and having the speakers on the wall is my main concern. The look of the room doesn’t matter as we have the rest of the home to worry about colors/fabric/placement of furniture that suits my wife. But even so, I think the basement should have a nice over all flow.

Did you consider a sub that would fit between the studs and be covered to give that a hidden look also. I came across a Boston Acoustics that does just that. Wonder how, and if anyone has one please let me know, works as you are very limited in the placement of this sub…once it’s in the wall it’s there for good.

Again, funny we think alike.

-Joe

newbeinNJ #143162 07/07/06 06:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I don't see in your post which sub you are considering?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #143163 07/07/06 07:14 PM
N
regular
OP Offline
regular
N
the Axiom EP350 v2 if I stay all Axiom. If I go the hidden way then i was looking at the Boston Acoustics SUB10F. It's designed to hide in between the wall studs.

Poodleman is using the larger EP500 for his setup, but I wonder if that would be too large in that space.

newbeinNJ #143164 07/07/06 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome Joe,

I think your choices will be fine but for me, I would want something a little bigger for the mains. Just personal pref.

If I may, what will the rest of the basement be used for? The reason I ask, is for the layout. The way it is set up now, the stairs come out right into the back of the theatre area. To reach ANY other part of the basement, you would walk right past people watching the movie. This would drive me insane. (My 3 kids can't stay in one area for more than 5 minutes)

If it were me, I would turn everything 90 degrees and have the screen on the wall adjacent the furnace room. That way when people come downstairs it's into an open area that won't disturb the movie watchers.

Then, I would then put stairs directly off the landing into the laundry room. (The stairs would form a "T" at the bottom) This way, you could turn left to do laundry and not disturb ANYONE in the bsmt.

As far as the sub goes, why not put it under the stairs with a grill cut-out? Or even in the furnace room?

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #143165 07/07/06 08:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is one huge space for your sub (since there is no wall to the right). I'd go for the EP500 if you can swing it- it's one heck of a great subwoofer.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
real80sman #143166 07/07/06 08:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i think the speakers you have chosen are just fine, minus the sub, you have a LOT of air space that you are going to fill, and a 350 will have a hard time filling all that room, the first thing that came to my mind, is you could isolate the area with your sump and the hot water heater from your movie area, that would be a good idea anyhow, to isolate those noises from your theater area. probably just a drywall would be fine and not cost too much and would give you the possiblity to decorate your HT area the way you want.

drywall your ht area, and insulate it, and you could probably go with the speakers you chose, but i would say 500/600... call axiom and see what they have to say...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup