Print Thread
Rate Thread
A few questions from the new kid.
#143450 07/13/06 08:14 PM
F
Fonte Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I am looking to enter into the proud ownership of a home theater. I have my ideas picked out through long hours of research (keep in mind I know little). I already own an Infinity SW-12 sub which I enjoy and the rest of my hopeful purchases include:
Sony KDS-R50XBR1 tv
Yamaha RX-v1600 7.1 Channel Receiver (just in case)
and here's the debate of Axiom; I have a budget.
I feel like I can either opt for a 5.1 system purchasing the M22 as fronts, the VP-150 center (these are set for the most part) but i don't know wether I should opt for the M3's as surround, the Qs4's or if I should try to amass enough for the Qs8's.
I feel like I could go for 7.1 if I purchase the M3's as surround and rear speakers, but I can't decide wether or not I should buy more "weaker" speakers or fewer more powerful speakers. I would like to keep the price around 1,000-1,500 (as with any money I would perfer to pay less seeing as I do have a TV to buy).
My living room would contain the theater, it is just about 1,500 inches cubed, but it opens into the kitchen and a little foyer, so I fear I may lose a little dynamic volume. I would guess this makes sense just as in a convertible car. I like loud music (I'm 19 and in college), I like bass, and I have a budget.

One more thing...I have no idea what wiring/cable/componets I should/need to use.

Seeing as most of you seem extremely more versed in the world for sound/vision I am willing to take sugguestions and change my mind. ANY advice is very appreciated.

Re: A few questions from the new kid.
Fonte #143451 07/13/06 09:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome Fonte, I would go with the QS4's or the QS8's to start with, you can always add a couple extra speakers when the budget allows, if you shop through the outlet you can save some dollars and possibly fit the QS8's into your budget.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Fonte #143452 07/13/06 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

...it is just about 1,500 inches cubed

I'm sure you meant feet instead of inches, that would be one small theater. I don't think you'd even fit an M22 in their. Sorry- just found it funny.

I agree with HomeDad, in that you can get the additional surrounds later if you decide. Don't sacrifice on the speakers you want when you don't have to. The QS8s are fabulous. I'm sure the QS4s are similar, just rated for less power but still would perform more than enough for most.

For wires, don't buy into the Monster hype. Decent quality cables are found for less online. You will save a bundle and not see/hear a difference. Try www.monoprice.com www.partsexpress.com, or www.bluejeanscable.com. If you can, run 12 ga. speaker cable (or at least 14 ga. if not over 30 feet), and wire for the 7.1 so you can add the speakers later.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #143453 07/13/06 09:25 PM
F
Fonte Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Touche` my friend, feet is correct. Thanks for the advice.

Fonte #143454 07/14/06 07:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now I didn't catch the size as being "Too large"!!

I knew it was larger than my Grados'. Guess I just figured it was AKGs, those K701 headphones look like toilet seats stuck to yer head!!

Fonte #143455 07/15/06 12:24 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
You want speakers that play loud, and you like bass. Let me think a second. Sounds like you really want tower speakers. In that price range I would suggest that you worry about the front speakers first. How about M50s or M60s with the VP 150 and then use whatever you've got in the closet for rear surrounds right now. You can worry about the 7.1 down the road.

littleb #143456 07/15/06 01:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

You want speakers that play loud, and you like bass. Let me think a second. Sounds like you really want tower speakers. In that price range I would suggest that you worry about the front speakers first. How about M50s or M60s with the VP 150 and then use whatever you've got in the closet for rear surrounds right now. You can worry about the 7.1 down the road.

That's pretty much what I did and it worked great for me!

I started with M3s for mains and a HTIB center with a pair of Brand "X" speakers for surround. They didn't sound too bad for a while!

I ended up with M50s for mains(they "match" the M3s and now I get "loud" and "bass"!)and I put the M3s in back for direct-radiating surrounds, plus bought another M3 for a new center(it matched the M50s and the M3s!)

I started buying my stuff quite a few years ago and some things have changed.

Fer instance; if I were to start today I would probably look more closely at the M60 for mains. They work much better(well ok, somewhat better)with the current center and surrounds available through Axiom.

I like my M3 as center, but I keep casting a longing eye toward QS8s!(that; and I really want to free up my rear M3s for mains duty in the diningroom system! )

Buy yeah! It can be done quite easily in steps and be a lot of fun as well! And it sure is easy on the budget!!
Rich.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters