#143807 07/20/06 11:59 AM
N
n8wrl Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Good morning, all!

We're in the middle of a big remodelling project. While they're at it, I asked the framers to frame for a door at the entrance to our HT. Now I wonder what exactly to hang there - I'd like to deaden the sound leaving the room if possible. What's best, solid, wooden exterior door? Hollow-core interior door? Which would block the sound the most?

Thanks!

-Brian

2xM60ti, 2xM3ti, 2xQS4, VP100, EP350, N2's
Re: Door to HT
n8wrl #143808 07/20/06 12:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
When i did my home theater i just picked up a inexpesive exterior ProSteel
36" Left Hand Flush Steel Entry Door (from lowes)and it works great. the weak link is actually the sheetrock wall itself.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
n8wrl #143809 07/20/06 01:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good morning to you Brian.

If using an exterior door keep in mind that these are sealed tight all around so therefore you'll need to have an access for the air-conditioner return air for the room, which is typically the space between the floor and the bottom of the door in most interior door applications. I'm thinking most new homes are vented rather than using the interior door for the return air.

We have double exterior vinyl over solid wood french doors leading into our room and they do a very good job with keeping the sound contained.

As Jake suggest, I believe the interior walls will be more of an issue than the door leading into the room.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #143810 07/20/06 01:12 PM
N
n8wrl Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
I appreciate the advice. Actually, a few years ago in yet another remodelling project i looked into sound-proofing a room where I have my ham radio station. Trying to keep from waking others up with the bleeps and boops. At that time, I looked into studio type setups and learned about staggering the studs to keep the sheetrock seperated from the outside wall. I didn't end up doing that, but it made good sense. Not an option here either unless I frame in new walls inside the room.

I'll look at the exterior doors - that seems like a very good option. Many of the steel ones have foam insulation which will deaden sound. You can get pretty nice looking ones too!

Thanks everyone!

-Brian n8wrl

2xM60ti, 2xM3ti, 2xQS4, VP100, EP350, N2's
n8wrl #143811 07/20/06 01:26 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
As Rick mentioned, you’ll need to consider ventilation / air circulation. The space under the door usually aids in this, unless you have an HCRV (heat / cooling recovery venation) system. They are quite common in new homes that are built to today’s standards of “tightness”.

For sound deadening, you’ll want a solid core door. Interior or Exterior. I’d go with an interior so that you don’t have a threshold to deal with that you do with the Exterior doors. For additional sound deadening, just install a door sweep on the interior door. Keep the ventilation thing in mind though. You’ll want to keep the door open with the theater is not in use. Oh, make sure you get some self adhesive felt pads that you can stick onto the door frame where the door comes into contact with frame. The sub will rattle the door and drive you nuts if you don’t.

n8wrl #143812 07/20/06 01:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ya know i should have mentioned the air circulation aspect in my post. i built me theater a little over a year ago and had central air installed just a few weeks ago. when me and the salesman/engineer did the wlk through during instalation he mentions your gonna want to keep that door open so you dont pressurize the room. i said oh thats not an option you see that door there is a reason its an exterior door it needs to make a tight seal. anyway long story short (to late)i need to vent the room some how so thats what im working on now.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
n8wrl #143813 07/20/06 07:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We use an inside, solid pine french door with glass and lattice for our HT room. I added sweeps to the bottom and there is a latch on the inside 'dummy' door near the ceiling to keep it tight. There is weather stripping around the inside perimeter where the two doors make contact as well. (I have pictures if you need to see what i'm describing). This has prevented any reverberation noises and causes a drop of 26dB from inside the room to 6' outside, when the doors are closed.

If you are looking for complete sound proofing, you will obviously need to do more to the whole room in general. If you are looking for controlling the sound, an interior or exterior solid core door of any type will do.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #143814 07/20/06 08:02 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Just install a window on the wall next to the door!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters