Dolby Digital
#144438 07/30/06 12:50 PM
M
micco Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
M
My DVD player is connected to my Harmon Kardon Receiver by a digital cable going to the digital input. I recently played a DVD of Andre Rieu and the Johanne Stauss Orchestra and expected really awesome sound to come out of my surround speakers but only got sound from my front speakers. The DVD says Dolbly Surround. Does anyone know why this is?

Re: Dolby Digital
micco #144439 07/30/06 01:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome Micco!

My guess is that you either didn't setup the DVD itself to the surround mode or you had the H/K on the DVD 'stereo' mode? I've noticed most music DVDs have the audio defaulted to stereo unless you change it to a surround mode on the DVDs menu.

Beyond that, I couldn't tell you.

Are you in south Florida?

Rick
Our Room

smile
micco #144440 07/30/06 01:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Forgive me for asking the obvious questions first.

Are you certain the disc said "Dolby Digital 5.1 surround," as opposed to simply saying "Dolby Digital"? Some discs are Dolby digital 2.0 only.

Many surround discs don't have that much information directed to the surround speakers. Did you put your ear up close to them to see if you could hear any ambient sound coming from them, or merely dead silence.

Did you go to the DVD's menu, and select "setup" or "languages," or something similar, and select the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround option? Some discs default automatically to this selection, some don't.

If you have been getting good strong Dolby Digital 5.1 surround from other discs, you can just disregard the following dumb questions. Without knowing your level of expertise, or your past experiences, it's a little difficult to know what to suggest investigating.

Is the receiver's digital input into which your DVD player is connected (Optical #1, Coaxial #2, or whatever) assigned as the receiver's DVD digital input?

In your receiver's speaker setup menu have you told the receiver that you have surround speakers?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
micco #144441 07/30/06 02:20 PM
E
buff
buff
E
Yeah maybe it was just not recorded in more than 2 channel sound.

When I first got into SACD's, I made the same mistake because I thought that since it was a SACD, it was automatically a 5.1 channel disk, when in fact many of them are just 2 channel (and I actually prefer that now).

micco #144442 07/31/06 04:21 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Micco, another welcome. You didn't specifically name the Rieu DVD in question and as Jack mentioned you should examine it carefully to see if it in fact has a DD 5.1 soundtrack. Also, even if it does and your player is set correctly, keep in mind that many classical DVDs(don't know about Rieu's)aren't intended to have "awesome" sound coming out of the surrounds. Rather than placing musicians discretely in the surround channels the surround content is simply general ambience from reflected sound, which is a relatively subtle effect which doesn't draw attention to itself.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,076 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup