Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Cocktail anyone?
#144741 08/05/06 12:26 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I’ve been known to tie one on in my youth, but the appreciation of keeping my few remaining brain cells in good health and my inability to withstand hangovers has lead me to a life altering outlook on consuming alcohol. I no longer ‘tie one on’ and simply enjoy a good drink or glass of wine with dinner nowadays. I rarely have more than two, and maybe once a year wake up feeling the texture of burnt cotton in my mouth and find myself unable to move from the couch for a day and half after a long night of swilling booze. That one day and a half is usually enough of a reminder to why I don’t party anymore and holds me over for a year or so. (if I could just figure out how to avoid wine hangovers now, I'd be set)

It must have been about six years ago when I first stumbled into a ‘martini bar’ that I’d snubbed my power drinking nose at numerous times before. I’m not sure what inspired me to sit down at that bar and order my first Cosmopolitan, but it was good, real good, and I’ve been trying my hand at different drinks ever since. But I rarely write down the recipe and figured what the heck, I’ve been told by all my friends that I’m a pretty good mixologist and should open a bar, so I figured I’d keep track of them here. And as a bonus, maybe some of you had some dandy combo’s you’d like to share. There’s already a beer thread and a wine thread, might as well have a cocktail thread.

Instead of simply jotting down a bunch of recipes right now, I’m going to start off with some basic drink mixing techniques so you all know what I’m talking about and will add recipes later.

I’m not about to argue with those strict classic martini lovers that think a martini is only gin or vodka and a little vermouth. The name martini has become commonplace with any mixed drink that you strain into a martini glass without ice. For the sake of this thread, I’m calling strained drinks that I pour into a martini glass, some sort of martini.

I like to infuse vodka. By doing so, it seems to ‘mellow’ out the bite at the same time as adding a subtle flavor to the vodka. I prefer to infuse my own verses buying the new types of infused vodka ready to go. What you get at the store has sweetener added to it; it tastes and sells better with sweetener added. Plus, I add my own type of sweetener, so I don’t buy them pre infused. It’s pretty simple and I recommend anyone give it a try. You can infuse anything…..pepper, jalapenos (no kiddin), fruit, vegetables, spices, etc…. All you do is cut up a piece of fruit or anything else and drop it in an air tight container with your favorite bottle of vodka. Wait 48 hours; strain it and your done. I’ll mention a few drinks that have some type of infuse vodka in them.

While talking about vodka, my favorite is Finlandia. I’ve tried them all (literally) and find that Finlandia is the smoothest vodka for under $25 a ltr. Some of the others like Grey Goose, Kettle One and the rest of those high priced bottles are as smooth, but most definitely not worth the money to me. Especially if it’s going to be mixed. All my vodka drinks are made with Finlandia.

I also use Crown Royal quite a bit with mixed drinks. It can be bought for under $25 a ltr and mixes with just about anything. I also like it straight up or on the rocks, but for those whisky drinking moods, I prefer Pendleton’s over Crown Royal (Pendletons is one of the best deals in a bottle that I've found). All my mixed whisky drinks have CR. It’s not too sweet, too harsh, too much of anything…it’s just right.

Bourbon on the other hand is entirely different. I’ve got several bourbon drinks with all sorts of different brands of bourbon.

For the drinks with Gin in them, I use Bombay Sapphire. There really is a difference when it comes to Gin. While it’s definitely not my favorite drink, a little bit of Gin can make a heck of a difference in the overall taste of a drink. Sapphire is by far the best Gin that I’ve ever tried. Before you get all weird'ed out over gin, give it a try. You’ll be surprised.

I’m not a Scotch drinker. It all tastes like potting soil to me. I’ve tried it and tried some that goes for $500 a bottle. I like none of it. Yuk…..

I don’t stir drinks, I shake them. The real trick to a good martini is making it cold. Even a bad one tastes good if it’s really cold. I shake for a count of 20, no less. The shaker should have frost on it before you pour. I also don’t mess around with little glasses either. I use a short pint glass (12 oz) and a regular old stainless mixer that the short pint glass nestles into. With ice, they hold about 8 oz of liquid, which is just right for me and fills a 9 oz martini glass just perfectly. I’m not real sure what their ‘real’ name is, but they are what you get at most of the pubs when you order a draft of micro brew. I’ve tried numerous fancy shaped, insulated pretty shakers with strainers and they all suck. They either leak, stick together so you can’t get them apart or come apart while shaking… The regular old stainless Manhattan shaker that you see in any bar is what I use. They work, forever. When I mix the drinks, I fill the glass all the way with ice, add the booze and mixer, shake and pour.

Seeing how it’s too time consuming and messy to measure quantities, I go by parts. IE: one part this, two parts that, one part this. So when I reference ‘parts’, that what I mean. The parts all equal the whole. Just guestimate it.

I use a sweat and sour mix for several of my drinks and I make my own S/S mixer. It’s two parts lime juice, one half part lemon juice, one half part simple syrup, one half part triple sect, one half part vodka, mandarin oranges, cherries, cherry juice. I let all this infuse for a couple days, strain and squeeze/crush the juice from the fruit and then keep it in the fridge. With the vodka and triple sect, it’s only about 20 proof, so it does well as a mixer without diluting the overall alcohol content of the drink. When mixing drinks by shaking with ice, about half the ice melts anyway, so the drink is already diluted. You may prefer it sweeter, but try this mix first. If you want it sweeter, just add more syrup until it has the right combination of sweet and sour. Also, you may want to add some cherry syrup (coffee flavouring works very well).

So, is there any interest in this sort of thread? If so, I’ll add a few drinks as time permits. If not, I might anyway.

Re: Cocktail anyone?
michael_d #144742 08/05/06 02:15 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You go, Mike!

Julie was hoping there was a recipe in there, because she has not had hers yet tonight.

The world would be a more civilized place with the return of Cocktail Hour.

I only have a few, but I'll post them. Later.

Excellent thread. I look forward to your thoughts and experiences.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #144743 08/05/06 02:44 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I was amused by how many things in Mike's post struck a chord with me.

We also long ago decided that Finlandia hits the sweet spot between flavor and value for vodka. A high end vodka we prefer over Ketel One is Ciroc - made from grapes in France.

I've had the same experience with shakers.

I also have not found a Scotch worth my hard-earned money.

My current classic (which I developed):

Tomegranate Martini

2 oz Vodka (Finlandia)
1/2 oz Triple Sec (Bols)
1/2 oz Gran Gala (like Cointreau but Italian)
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz pure pomegranate juice (Langer's from Costco)

Shake using the mdrew method. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Enjoy. Yes, I know that's a lot of "mixer". Get over it.

Now, please understand, this is a tremendous leap of faith for me. I have steadfastly refused to even write down these recipes in the past, because I do not wish Julie's second husband (in the unfortunate event he becomes necessary) to be able to replicate such rapture. So, you know, credit where it may become due.

btw, I've found the two ounce oxo measuring cuplet to be heinously unfashionable but terribly practical barware.

michael_d #144744 08/05/06 05:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My ultimate martini:

- 1/3 fill a stainless steel shaker with ice

- add a splash of vermouth

- swirl for a few seconds, then dump the vermouth into the sink

- pour five blubs of gin into the shaker (the gin coming out of the bottle makes a noise like "blub, blub, blub, blub")

- shake until your guests start to look slightly annoyed

- pour immediately into martini glasses and serve

If you must add olives, take the toothpicks out first; the dogs like olives but choke on the toothpicks. Don't be getting my dogs drunk unless they are going home with you.

Last edited by bridgman; 08/05/06 05:58 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
michael_d #144745 08/05/06 06:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think there is obviously some interest

That "pre-mixed" sweet & sour mix is a great idea.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144746 08/05/06 03:26 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I’m looking forward to your drink Tom. I just recently started messing around with Pomegranate juice. It’s a hard mixer to use. Not everything goes well with it, and so far it seams to ‘need’ a splash of lemon. Never had or tried the Gran Gala. I usually stick with Cointreau, but at $40+ a bottle, I’m interested in finding a suitable substitute.

Loved you martini mix John. Especially the shaking till irritating part. I’ve tried that before too. I just keep shaking until there’s no more ice, and only for those that insist on making me mix them something I don’t want to mess with.

Here’s one of my favorite martinis. (yes, my mix by mistake that was an unexpected surprise)

Two parts blackberry infused vodka
One half part Chambord
One half part Cointreau
One part sweat / sour mix (my S/S mix above)

Shake and strain into a martini glass. Throw in an orange peel if you wish.

I have no name for it, or any of my other mixes for that matter. I can stumble onto something tasty, but have no creativity for names. Any ideas to what I should call it?

--------

Another drink that I tend to mix on a regular basis….. (again, no name)

Fill 12 oz glass with ice.
Fill it about 5/8 full with Crown Royal.
Fill it to about ¾ full with Disaronno Amaretto (my favorite amaretto)
Top off with cranberry juice.
Give it a couple shakes and pour it back into the glass with ice.

A slight variation to this drink is to use half part of Amaretto and half part Chambord. (need a name for that one too)

----------

My Bourbon Sour variation

12 oz glass filled with ice.
Fill glass 5/8 full with Maker’s Mark bourbon
Fill it ¾ full with Chambord
Top off with sweet / sour mix
Shake and pour back into the glass.

michael_d #144747 08/05/06 04:39 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I like the idea of the sweet/sour mix, too. Mostly, I use about half/half simple syrup and fresh lemon juice. I find that simple syrup keeps very well in the refrigerator.

Mike, how "fine" is your ice? cubes or crushed or what? I have a (GE?) fridge with an icemaker that produces those little truncated half moon deals. I just use those because I think the crushed is WAY too fine.

tomtuttle #144748 08/05/06 05:08 PM
shareholder in the making
I'm hoping someone has a good recipe for a margarita. Love the things, I just can't manage to make one I like.

I used to be a good mixologist (or I had no taste buds) but I seem to have lost it. Or I got some taste buds.

Aaaanyway.... I just got some Citronage, made by Patron. It's another Cointreau like liquor.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #144749 08/05/06 08:05 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

I'm hoping someone has a good recipe for a margarita. Love the things, I just can't manage to make one I like.

Love the topic. OK, I'll take a crack at the margarita request by sharing my 2 margarita recipes.

This first recipe is for making a pitcher for a crowd, but does scale down (by eye). It is basically the traditional 3:2:1 ratio for margaritas. It is a little on the sweet side, and can be adjusted.

1 12 oz Can Limeade
2 Cans of water (yes, use the can as the measuring device)
2 cans of tequila of choice (for margaritas I like Cuervo Gold, I save the Patron etc for straight sipping)
1 Can of Cointreau (or the Citronage, which I really like!)
Juice of one lemon
Splash of orange juice (completely optional)

Now you've got the base for the drink. As you need to make margaritas, fill shaker with ice, add margarita, and shake for a LOOOOOONG time. Pour into ice filled glass with salted rim. Other options: you can use lemonade instead of limeade, and then add some lime juice at the end instead of lemon. You can use triple sec or other less expensive orange liquer, but I'm really a fan of the more flavorful options.

I recommend you try this in these proportions once, and then adjust as you like (personally I like it less sweet, so I use less frozen mix), but my wife likes it this way, as do most of our guests.

The second recipe is basically squeeze a lime (hopefully getting about an oz) into a shaker. Add 1.5 - 2 oz of simple syrup, 2 oz of tequila (with this recipe I'll use the good stuff), 1 oz of Cointreau. Shake thoroughly, and strain into a martini glass. Enjoy!

Rich

samandnoah #144750 08/05/06 08:18 PM
I'm liking the second option. I've got that stuff!

I'll give it a shot later today.

samandnoah #144751 08/05/06 08:30 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I like the scratch Margarita recipe Rich. I’m gunna try it…..

My scratch is:

Cuervo 1800 or Don Julio
Triple sect or Cointreau
Lime aid (spoon full)
Shake and strain

My blended margarita (beergarita):

Fill blender with crushed ice
Add 1/2 can of lime aid
Half can of any old (non dark) beer and blend for a second or so to mix it up.
Add 1/2 can of Tequila of choice (My favorite is Don Julio but it’s kind of a waste for a blended drink)
Blend it some more until it’s smooth (if you blend with the Tequila right off the bat, it melts the ice too quick)

The real trick is blending it. It needs to be thick enough to float a shot of Grand Marnier on top but not too thick. That’s the kicker! I pour the Grand Marnier over an upside down spoon onto the ice.

I also change it a little per my mood. Sometimes I’ll add Midori or other flaverfull liquor instead of the Grand Marnier.

Tom,

I use regular cubes out the fridge. Same as yours and I also think crushed is too fine. They melt too fast. I fill the shaker about half full and always change the ice for different drinks.

michael_d #144752 08/05/06 08:43 PM
It all sounds really good... Can I put in a request for foofy drink recipes? My wife likes them, and I don't like to drink alone.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for foofy drinks.

samandnoah #144753 08/05/06 08:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There used to be certain instructions in a recipe which would catch the eye and promise good things to come. "Grease generously" was always one of the favorites.

Now I have a new one -- "2 cans of tequila"

Last edited by bridgman; 08/05/06 08:49 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Ken.C #144754 08/05/06 10:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

It all sounds really good... Can I put in a request for foofy drink recipes? My wife likes them, and I don't like to drink alone.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for foofy drinks.

Yesterday afternoon on a whim I bought some rum and some fruit for daquiris. It was such a pleasant, not too hot day I thought I would try something different, and my wife loves the froo-froo drinks too. This is what I did:

1 (ripest you can find) banana or equivalent in other very ripe fruit. We used strawberries and fresh pineapple as well. You can mix/match as well.

1 splash Triple-Sec.

2 splashes Rose's sweet lime.

about a teaspoon extra-fine sugar (it dissolves intantly, regular granulated sugar may not dissolve completely leaving your drink gritty).

2 oz dark rum or to taste (I pushed the "to taste" envelope as the night wore on).

1 1/2 cups ice.

Put into blender and blend until ice is well mixed. I like the "frappe" setting which makes it like a smoothie.

This will make 2 drinks or drink in a big margarita glass. If you double it up (which would be about a full blender) use a little less ice or it could get watery.

Something I want to try that one of our guests suggested is using frozen fruit and little/no ice. This gives a more fruity flavor. Sounds good, although my response was "I feel fruity enough drinking these as it is."

LJ

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Ken.C #144755 08/06/06 01:42 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
My last foo-foo was too foo-foo for me, but she may like it. (my girlfriend loved it)

Easy version:
Two parts Mango rum (several to pick from)
One part coconut rum
One part white cranberry juice
Shake and strain into a martini glass

Better / stiffer version

Two parts mango infused vodka
One part coconut rum
Shake and strain in a martini glass

You could also make her a razatini (my version)

Two parts vodka (half for more foo-foo)
One half part Cointreau (double for more foo-foo)
One half part Chambord (double for more foo-foo)
One part cranberry juice
Dash of lime juice (optional)
Shake and strain

Or the regular Cosmo

Two parts vodka
One part Cointreau
One part cranberry
Dash of lime juice
Shake and strain

Or just about any combination of peach schnapps and juice. Add a little coconut rum.

You can go crazy with foo-foo drinks. They’re pretty fun to make. Just stick with the flavored rums and it’s hard to make a bad one.

Do you know some specific likes / dislikes she has??

michael_d #144756 08/06/06 01:56 AM
That is a can of worms, that last question there. Let's see...
neither of us like gin at all (actually makes me physically ill)
She doesn't like drinks that taste like alcohol.
She likes sweet drinks; she describes it as liking the drink to be more about the flavor of what's in it than the taste of alcohol.

michael_d #144757 08/06/06 04:06 AM
Well, Rich, I'm happy to say that I rather liked your second recipe! So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time--no sugar!

I also found a recipe for my wife--I'll use recipes on here when I have the ingredients---which I'll share here, since she seemed to like it. Well, I sort of adapted it per her specifications, so here goes:

Not-a-Velvet-Hammer

1 oz Godiva Liqueur
1 oz Malibu Rum
1 oz Heavy Cream
1/2 oz brandy (this didn't go in this time, but I'm including it for completeness)

Shake.

Serve.

The original recipe, of course, calls for Cointreau or the like, but she prefers coconut with her chocolate.

Addendum: she just tasted my margarita and declared it quite drinkable, sans the salt on the rim.

Last edited by kcarlile; 08/06/06 04:08 AM.
Ken.C #144758 08/06/06 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Has she tried a Samoan Fog Cutter ? It's an old Trader Vic's standard. Sort of a foo-foo zombie, right down to the little umbrella.

I'm linking rather than copying in case Trader Vics has some kind of copyright on the recipe.

http://www.tradervicsatlanta.com/index.cfm/action/showpage/page/drinks.htm

EDIT -- Huh, how about that. It has gin in it. All those years I never suspected...

Never mind ;(

Last edited by bridgman; 08/06/06 04:36 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144759 08/06/06 04:37 AM
Might still be good; I'm the one who gets sick from it. And we do have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire--which I was intending to give away at some point.

Ken.C #144760 08/06/06 03:31 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well if you could narrow down what type of fruit or flavor, that would help. If she liked your chocolate drink, that’s a start. I’ve got a couple chocolate martini recipes, but I rarely make them because I can’t stand them. I’ve also got numerous mixes that have absolutely no hint of alcohol taste or bite to them. They’re deadly….

Does anyone have a good Key Lime Pie Martini mix?? I’ve been trying for months to come up with one and just can’t seam to get it right. I had one at an airport Cheers about a year ago and just can’t duplicate it. Man it was good. I’ve been playing with vanilla vodka, vodka and vanilla liquor, lime, lemon, Cointreau and cream, but it’s still missing something no matter how I mix it all up. They also put some type of flavored sugar on the rim and I don’t remember what it was.

Ken.C #144761 08/06/06 08:38 PM
devotee
devotee
Woohoo, I done good! I'm glad the recipe met with approval. I've got two other drinks I'll share.

Hey Bridgman, since you liked my measurement system, I've got another recipe that utilizes it. And Ken, I think your wife my like it, especially with the little foo-foo addition at the end. This one is for a Painkiller. These are big in the Caribbean. Again, this is a great pitcher recipe, and just keep pouring it for the crowd. It sounds/looks sort of like a pina colada, but it is not a blender drink, and the OJ makes it different enough.

1 can of Cream of Coconut (here's a trick I use to get a smooth consistency: let the can sit (unopened) in really hot tap water for ~ 5 minutes, and shake it up periodically -- this will dissolve any of solid particles and ensure a smooth drink with no chunks!)
1 can of OJ
4 cans of Pineapple juice (or just use the entire std large can of pineapple juice, it's close enough)
2 cans of rum (use a dark rum so you get a little more flavor, or a 50/50 mix with light rum) I typically use Bacardi and/or Myers for more rum flavor. Save the Mount Gay for a rum and tonic, or straight up!

Mix it all up. It will separate as it sits around, so just stir it up as needed. Pour this over a full glass of ice.

These are smooth, go down easy, and can be dangerous. You won't be feeling any pain, hence the name! Here is the extra touch if you've got the time and/or inclination -- rim the glass with toasted coconut!

To do that, you throw some bag coconut onto a cookie sheet in a 350F oven for a few minutes (you've got to watch it, and shake it around after a couple of minutes). Put some honey in a small bowl and add a little water to thin. Put some of this on the rim of the glass, and then dip into a mound of the toasted coconut. It's a nice touch.

Second drink: a Cham-cham. Add an ounce of Chambord to a champagne glass, and top with your favorite bubbly. Nice summertime drink.

Tom, your drink sounded so good that I took the family to Costco to get the pomegranate juice today. Probably won't get to make it until later in the week, though. I'll let you know!

Rich

samandnoah #144762 08/07/06 01:50 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Dammmmm that sounds tasty! Sounds like a good one for the hot tub tonight!

Ever try Goslings rum? That’s my favorite. Got hooked on it when I spent a few weeks in Bermuda trying my hand at beach bum life. Seeing how you seem to like rum drinks, you ever try mixing them with ruby red grapefruit juice? It goes real well with rum if you ever get the itch to experiment. So does Gin.

I think I might just have to get drunk after all. Lots of really good drinks getting listed here. Hopefully more folks will add theirs…….

samandnoah #144763 08/07/06 01:53 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
So many wonderful ideas!

I had to chime in on the Margarita thing.

Personally, I've found that a 4-3-2 ratio is more to my liking than a 3-2-1. YMMV. The kicker for me is that I split the "3" into half triple sec and half Gran Gala (Cointreau or Gran Marnier would work just as well), and ONLY fresh lime juice, please. So....

4 oz decent tequila (I like the Sauza Reposado)
1.5 oz Triple Sec
1.5 oz Gran Gala
2 oz fresh lime juice

Shake and then serve on the rocks.

Nothing wrong with fruffy drink recipes. Give the girl a little toddy for her body.

tomtuttle #144764 08/07/06 03:21 AM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

4 oz decent tequila (I like the Sauza Reposado)
1.5 oz Triple Sec
1.5 oz Gran Gala
2 oz fresh lime juice

I like the way you think! That's more in line with how I like it. My experience is that lots of folks find that "too strong", but you can make me a margarita any time.

OK, we definitely need an Axiom get together in the US. I vote for doing it in TX, but I'm open to other locations. Everyone needs to bring a favorite recipe (can you tell I manage food and beverages at our house?) and a drink (or wine or beer) to go with that dish. I have found that to be a very successful formula for a fun party, and the Axiom family has always sounded like a fun crowd.

Rich

Ken.C #144765 08/07/06 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken, have you and your wife tried Midori? Midori is a bright green, sweet Japanese honeydew melon-flavored liqueur produced in Mexico by Suntory. My wife and I enjoy Midori sours. I make them thusly: put ice in cup, equal parts Midori and sweet and sour, and stir. At most local bars, a "Midori sour" usually includes some kind of fruit juice (orange, pineapple), but to both of us, it dilutes the drink way too much.

Another sweet classic that I like is the White Russian/mudslide: vodka, Bailey's Irish cream, and Kahlua coffee liqueur. I think they are in equal parts (I've not yet tried one at home, only at bars/restaurants). Applebee's has a great one (mudslide) served over/in vanilla ice cream. The alcohol taste is minimal, to me, and - hey - you get to eat ice cream! At some bars, I've had some white Russians that tasted like chocolate milk. Danger!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
michael_d #144766 08/07/06 04:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wikipedia is awesome. Here's a link to their list of cocktails. As of today, thanks to wikipedia, I have a new favorite cocktail name:

Adios Motherf---er

Can't wait to order one! ("Hey, Doc, whatcha havin'?" ...)

medic8r #144767 08/07/06 04:09 AM
Doc, sounds dangerous indeed.

Ken, a simple rum eggnog should be foofy enough for Jen.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

samandnoah #144768 08/07/06 04:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Rich!

I really like the sound of the Painkiller. I'm not so keen on the "creamy" drinks that JP mentioned, because they make my stomach hurt.

I have always loved the idea of an Axiom gathering, and long thought that the highest concentration of fun Axiomites in a decent climate is The Republic of Texas. I'm predisposed to spend time and money on such an opportunity.

Some time ago, I started to scale back the level of Cointreau I use in drinks. Perhaps it is just me (after all, different people have different levels of perception to certain compounds), but I've just found that the Brandy taste tends to be a bit overpowering. By using half Cointreau and half Triple Sec, I get a bit sweeter and more intense orange flavor, and save a little money in the bargain. Again, I use Gran Gala, because I think it is every bit as good as either Gran Marnier or Cointreau at about half the price, and it's Italian instead of French.

I'll offer the following, which is the product of the genius and time of a dear friend of mine:

Chris' Perfect Lemon Drop

3 oz good vodka
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz Lemoncello liqueur
1 tsp superfine sugar or to taste
Juice of one good lemon

Shake lustily. Strain into chilled martini glass.

tomtuttle #144769 08/07/06 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I'm not so keen on the "creamy" drinks that JP mentioned, because they make my stomach hurt.

So you can drink barleywines, Belgian beers, etc and an ice cream drink makes your stomach hurt? Methinks you live in Bizarroworld!

Is this a job for Lactaid?

medic8r #144770 08/07/06 07:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken,
another "foofy" drink suggestion that your wife might appreciate if she likes milk-based - my friends and i found it a few years back at an annual music festival we used to attend. With three or four straight days of beer you start to look for a few "lighter" alternatives. It's called a Brown Squirrel as we know it:

1 ounce Creme de Cacao
1 ounce Amaretto
fill glass with milk and top with a marshino cherry or two
(you'll want ice too)

It seems every once in a while we get mixed up with these drinks as was the case this past Saturday. The alcohol is nearly impossible to taste and my good friend and i were successful in our goal to polish off a "26" of each type of booze in about 3 hours. Of course after only a couple each the mixes got pretty strong (read 2/3 booze per glass) and still only tasted like cherry milk. Made for a "memorable" evening!

"Chickens don't clap."
medic8r #144771 08/07/06 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>So you can drink barleywines, Belgian beers, etc and an ice cream drink makes your stomach hurt? Methinks you live in Bizarroworld!

He *likes* Belgian beers

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144772 08/07/06 08:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

He *likes* Belgian beers

Exactly! They have not grown on me. He and I are just on opposite sides of the palate spectrum, I guess. Different strokes ... (to move the world!)

medic8r #144773 08/07/06 08:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
God Loves Diversity.

And, for your information, I am the MAYOR of Bizarroworld. Show some respect, willya?

medic8r #144774 08/07/06 09:18 PM
I'm afraid I despise Midori...

And I love Belgian beers.

Anyway, I seem to have dragged this thread in the wrong direction. Thanks for all the ideas, guys, now let's get some nice hard drinks in here!

Ken.C #144775 08/07/06 10:29 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Wow - I leave you guys alone for awhile and suddenly your man cards are in jeopardy of being suspended.

Let's get to it here - simple recipe:
Jack Daniels
Ice
More Jack Daniels

Drain and repeat - lotsa times.

Ray3 #144776 08/07/06 10:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would involve drinking Jack Daniels, no?

Me, I'd rather some Black Maple Hill Bourbon. No ice.

Actually, Knob Hill isn't half bad, either.

Ray3 #144777 08/07/06 11:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>>> Let's get to it here - simple recipe:
Jack Daniels
Ice
More Jack Daniels

Drain and repeat - lotsa times.

Now you're speaking my language Ray!

Rick
Our Room

smile
Ken.C #144778 08/08/06 12:13 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Although I've said it several times in the (now malnourished) Beer Thread, I will agree with Ken and reiterate my personal preference for Kentucky Bourbon (especially Maker's Mark) over Tennessee Whiskey.

Other than that distinction, I'll also agree with Ray that sometimes we put too fine a point on these things.

tomtuttle #144779 08/08/06 01:24 AM
devotee
devotee
Did somebody say bourbon! Alright! In a prior role I used to deal quite a bit with a printer company based in KY (and I know someone on this board works for them now). Well, I thought I knew bourbon before this relationship, but I really know it now.

There are some outstanding bourbons that can be hard to find in some places. Among the standouts to look for are:
Woodfords (I've seen this pretty widely distributed)
Blantons
Stirling (I think that's what it's called)
Pappy's (smallest maker of the ones listed)

I know I'm missing some others. I've never been much of a Jack fan, though some of my greatest rock heroes have been photographed imbibing (Keith Richard most notably). And there is one place here Austin that has Jack & Coke as their all day drink special (only $2.50) every day, so I invariably drink some when I go there.

I just love this thread. I worked in a wine shop/liquor store when I turned 18 (the drinking age was 18 back then), so I've been involved with beer, wine, and liquor for a long time. From rotgut to first growths I've had the honor of trying quite a bit.

Rich

samandnoah #144780 08/08/06 01:51 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Bourbon?? My favorite is Bookers. Not for the light weights though, 140 proof.

Simple, but quite good stiff drink.

Four ounces of Pendleton’s on ice.
Four drops of bitters.

Crown is good too, but not quite as smooth. Not even the reserve is as smooth as Pendleton’s and it’s only $25 a ltr.

Or you could just shoot a couple shots of Absinth. The good stuff you have to stuff in your luggage when departing the Prague airport.

Hey Tom, I’m thinking we shouldn’t drink the hard stuff together and better just stick with beer. With our similar tastes in booze, I’m suspecting some serious trouble and very bad hang overs.

RickF #144781 08/08/06 02:06 AM
local
local
Jack wrapped in a brown paper bag now that is as simple as it gets. Great on cold nights.

I have never been big on making my own mixed drinks usually others play that role and do a good job. Since I moved to Tx a few months ago I only know a few people here. One guy I meet likes to drink alot like I do but I have not seen him in a while. Our kids are not getting along right now.

My spare fridge is full of beer. A variety of dark beers and some Miller light for my neighbors when they come by. Miller light seems to be a favorite around here. I drink it when I am thirsty for water but prefer the dark beers.

My wife is back in Ca and will be out there for a few more months. I don't drive so I can't go to any of the local drinking holes. When I saw this thread it kinda inspired me to start making my own mixed drinks at home. Next week me neighbor is taking me to Costco to stock up on some booze.

Thanks for starting this thread and keep those recipes coming.

michael_d #144782 08/08/06 02:14 AM
I'm wondering if anyone else has tried Black Maple Hill (other than Peter ). If you haven't, you really, really need to. It's a small batch bourbon (200 barrells a year, I think), and runs ~$60-80 bottle for the 16 year. I haven't tried their 20 year yet; I think that's more like $100-$120/bottle. Fantastic stuff.

Ken.C #144783 08/08/06 02:22 AM
It's made by a guy in the Kentucky backcountry with all of 5 teeth, too, so you know you're getting the real stuff.

j/k. I'm sure the guy has at least twice that many teeth.

It's a fantastic bourbon, in any case.

(Apologies to the tooth impaired.)

michael_d #144784 08/08/06 02:46 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack Daniels is technically a sour mash rather than a classic bourbon. I don't drink much hard liquor anymore in an effort to preserve both my remaining brain cells and my ability to pronounce my vowels. However, for Jack I'll make the occasional exception...... OK, several exceptions, all in a row.

Even better is a relatively recent offering from the good folks at Jack Daniels - Gentleman Jack. Another pass through the charcoal filtering and a few more years aging yields a sour mash that is exceptionally soft and evaporates on the tongue. This is one to try when you are out for a nice dinner (before you buy a bottle - they're not giving this away!)

Ray3 #144785 08/08/06 04:38 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ray, I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the mashing technique that distinguishes JD and other Tennessee whiskies from Bourbons. The differences in state of origin, water, filtration technique and fermentation all play critical roles, also.

Mike, it's just a function of allowing enough time and having a good strategy Stay hydrated, eat lots, live with the consequences. Like my wife says when playing pinochle, "bid 'em high, sleep in the streets!".

Clyde, you should check out the Beer Thread. Start at the beginning

tomtuttle #144786 08/08/06 04:16 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
OK, I’m intrigued with the “really really ought to try” comment. I’ll try and find the Black Maple Hill bourbon this weekend.

Tried your martini last night Tom. Very good. Mixing the Cointreau and triple sect does make a difference. More than I thought it would. I couldn’t find any of that Gala, so I’ll have to try the drink again when I can get to the big city warehouse and find the Gala. – I love excuses to drink.

I liked it so much, I had to have two, but I digressed and changed the mix for number two. I added a half pour of Chambord and deleted the syrup. Quite tasty.

michael_d #144787 08/08/06 05:09 PM
If you've got Bevmos up there, they often have a bottle or two. Other than that, I'm not sure where to get it.

michael_d #144788 08/08/06 05:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Here’s one of my favorite martinis. (yes, my mix by mistake that was an unexpected surprise)

Two parts blackberry infused vodka
One half part Chambord
One half part Cointreau
One part sweat / sour mix (my S/S mix above)

Shake and strain into a martini glass. Throw in an orange peel if you wish.

Mike,

Here's an attempt at a name for the above beverage: Blackberry Bomber.

What'cha think?

Regards,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
SirClyde #144789 08/08/06 06:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Clarence,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I live in Round Rock off Sam Bass Road.

You get the HT all set up after the move?

Since you don't drive, and if you need a lift somewhere, give me a shout or PM.

Be an honor to help another Axiomite...

Regards,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
WhatFurrer #144790 08/08/06 11:48 PM
local
local
Hey thanks for the offer I will have to take you up on that some day.

My H/T is on hold for now. The extra cost of moving and spent $8k on concrete and landscape, spent $3k last month going back to Ca for a funeral. That was my money for my H/T. It's ashame to have an empty room upstairs.

My son broke my daughter's laptop so I am in the market for 1 maybe 2 computers. IT NEVER ENDS. I started looking at front projectors again and the price seems to have gone down. Maybe Santa will stop by my house this year.

Sam Bass road that is really close towhere I live.

WhatFurrer #144791 08/09/06 03:35 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Blackberry Bomber....sure, why not? It’ll definitely mess ya up. Women love it and it only takes a couple to have a profound effect on their equilibrium.

None of those stores up here Ken. My warehouse has a pretty good selection though, and if they don't have something, they stock it for me (they know me quite well)....

michael_d #144792 08/09/06 05:07 PM
Well, definitely try and get some.

Then you can tell me it's not as good as this $30 brand you have...

Ken.C #144793 08/09/06 10:11 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well actually Ken, my favorite bourbon is Bookers, and it’s about $60 a bottle. It’s the big brother to Knob Creek and Bakers. Kin to Jim Beam. There’s not that many others I like but Maker’s Mark. I had a horrible fight with JD when I was 16 and I’m still wearing the scares from that one. Still can’t drink it 25 years later….. I woke up in the bathtub with my very amused father standing over me at the controls of the cold water two days after my senior party without any recollection of the last two days. I found my precious 81 Trans-am covered with regurgitated ???, missing the T-tops, scratched to hell and out of gas on the middle of a frozen lake a week later. Someone (presumably me) thought he was the Bandit.

I have another drink recipe to share that I made last night. All this foo-foo talk inspired a trip to the liquor store last night. I broke down and picked up a bottle of flavored vodka and must admit that it is quite good. I may have to reconsider my stance on these flavored vodka’s after all. It’s a lot easier to buy them than make them. The bottle is Finlandia Wild Berry vodka.

I think I’ll call it a passion martini.

Two parts wild berry Finlandia
One part Bacardi Passion Fruit rum
One part cranberry
Splash of lime juice
Shake and strain.
Very fruity but yet still stiff like a martini. I suspect some Cointreau or simple syrup might be good for those who want less bite, but I liked it just the way described so I didn’t try to sweeten it up any.
I also tried it without the lime and for some odd reason, the lime brought out the berry flavor.

michael_d #144794 08/10/06 01:51 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Geez, you know, if they do it right at the distillery, you don't need to put it in juice with an umbrella, you nancies.

Faves as a "sipping shot"... (most often a few ounces by itself in a short tumbler)
-Glayva
-Drambuie
-B&B or Benedictine
-Eblana

Bren R.

BrenR #144795 08/10/06 03:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

if they do it right at the distillery, you don't need to put it in juice with an umbrella, you nancies

My uncle used to say the same thing, except he used the term "panty waists".
Nothing like learning old school.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #144796 08/10/06 08:17 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Get on the trolley, all of you!

Bren R.

BrenR #144797 08/10/06 06:19 PM
Mmmmm. Benedictine. I drink it for it's medicinal properties. Cures a sore throat right up. If you pop a glass in the microwave for 10 seconds, it really throws some vapors at you.

pmbuko #144798 08/11/06 01:37 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Whipped this one up last night. It’s a keeper.

12 oz glass filled with ice
Fill it up 5/8 full with Makers Mark
Add a pour of Medori (about an once)
Top off with sweat / sour mix
Shake to mix and dump it all back in the glass

michael_d #144799 08/11/06 06:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Top off with sweat

How will you make these in the winter ?

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144800 08/11/06 06:33 PM
Heaters.

bridgman #144801 08/11/06 08:29 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

>>Top off with sweat

How will you make these in the winter ?

I was stoned through grammar / English. I rely on spell checker and it never fails to get me.

One more mix.

Two parts Pineapple infused vodka
One part orange citron
Splash of lime juice
Shake, strain and pour into a martini glass

tomtuttle #144802 08/14/06 05:47 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

Tomegranate Martini

2 oz Vodka (Finlandia)
1/2 oz Triple Sec (Bols)
1/2 oz Gran Gala (like Cointreau but Italian)
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz pure pomegranate juice (Langer's from Costco)

Shake using the mdrew method. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Enjoy. Yes, I know that's a lot of "mixer". Get over it.

I finally got around to trying this "specialtini" and I've got to say it was outstanding. Tom, you've got yourself a winner. I'm a big fan. Waaaaaay too easy to pound these, though, so it took some self control not to pass out in the first 30 minutes!

As a slight twist, I made one batch with Absolute Limon, and that worked out quite nicely. Not sure if I'd permanently adjust the recipe to do that, but it was pleasant, so give that a shot (pun intended) someday.

Take care,
Rich

samandnoah #144803 08/15/06 05:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Glad you liked it, Rich! It's Mrs. Tuttle's current favorite. I agree with Mike's earlier observation that the pomegranate "needs" some lemon to pull it forward in a palatable way. You could scale back on any of that stuff to suit your taste, but I like a bit of orange, a bit of lemon and a bit of sweetness to deepen and balance both the vodka and the pomegranate. We rarely buy infused vodkas, but I'm weakening on the citrus stuff.

tomtuttle #144804 08/16/06 04:43 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I hit several liquor stores this last weekend and couldn’t find any Gand Gala or Black Hills Bourbon. I guess Alaska just doesn’t have the market for them. But now I’m on a mission. I MUST find these bottles. I’m going to my local store owner to see if she’ll order them for me. She orders wine for me, so I’m sure she’ll get the liquor.

But I did get another bottle of infused vodka. I’m weakening…….another Finlandia. Mango this time and it’s very good. I’ve tried many other brands of the flavored vodkas and found them all to be sweet, but Finlandia seams to have the process down. They are not sweeter, you just get the flavor.

michael_d #144805 08/16/06 05:23 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mango Vodka. Good Lord, what have we become?

Mike, the Gran Gala isn't really anything too "special". It's pretty much a knockoff for Cointreau or Gran Marnier. I just like it because it is about half the price and it comes from Italy instead of France.

We don't get that Bourbon in WA, either. Lucky Californians with their BevMos. Grumble.

tomtuttle #144806 08/16/06 05:27 PM
You know, I'm SURE Ken would be happy to grab a bottle of anything BevMo offers for y'all if you send him some money.

He loves it when I volunteer him for things, too.

pmbuko #144807 08/16/06 06:41 PM
Oh yeah, my favorite thing...

Just email me your Visa card number, I'll take care of it.

Although I'm pretty sure there are laws about mailing alcohol around between states...

Ken.C #144808 08/21/06 11:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, I finally got a chance to try out the Samoan Fog Cutter recipes with a willing audience and made a few adjustments based on user feedback.

1/2 of a 750 ml (26 oz) bottle of Orgeat syrup (shop somewhere Italian)
1 1.75L (64 oz ?) bottle light rum (I used Bacardi Gold)
1 750 ml (26 oz) bottle brandy
1 375 ml (13 oz) bottle gin
juice of 25 lemons
2L (2 quart) carton of orange juice minus the glass you had at breakfast

Combine all of the above and stir well in a big pitcher.

Pour into big coffee mugs 2/3 filled with ice. The ceramic mug adds a bit of tiki authenticity -- it just doesn't taste right in a plastic cup. Float a bit of sherry over the top of each drink. Add umbrella, fire up the patio lanterns and enjoy.

Repeat, adding a bit more sherry if anyone felt their first sip was too sour.

For individual servings :

1/2 oz orgeat syrup
2 oz light PR rum
1 oz brandy
1/2 oz gin
juice of one lemon
2 oz orange juice

shake with ice, float sherry over a spoon, enjoy

EDIT -- based on anecdotal evidence, it seems to me that "the tiki lifestyle" probably did not involve regular work hours. Can anyone provide insight ?

SECOND EDIT -- with luck, this weekend will be Tomegranit time... will let you know if anyone survives

Last edited by bridgman; 08/21/06 11:28 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144809 10/15/06 03:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Through a combination of "creative substitution" and "not paying attention" I managed to accidentally mix one of my guests a combination of V8 and gin, plus the usual seasonings and celery stalk.

We call it the "Bloody Awful". It tastes far worse than you might imagine.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144810 10/15/06 03:46 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

We call it the "Bloody Awful".

Ow. You bastard, I was eating a cookie. Be a pal and get me some windex.

Bren R.

bridgman #144811 10/15/06 04:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's going to put me off Gin for a while....

BrenR #144812 10/15/06 06:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry, Bren. That was not deliberate. It just tasted so bad I figured a warning was in order. The only equally vile thing I ever tasted was the "pepperoni, hot peppers and anchovies" pizza we ordered one day. The cook came out of the kitchen to warn us, and told us we wouldn't get a refund if we couldn't eat it. "Don't worry", we said.

We had "salad bar" for dinner.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144813 10/15/06 07:46 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I could use a good mix for a hot toddy. I’ve been feeling like crap for the past week.

Plus I’m trying to quit chewing tobacco…..again. Been doing that for close to 30 years. Between that and this stinking cold, hot whiskey / lemon / honey just ain’t doing it for me.

michael_d #144814 10/15/06 11:31 PM
T
T
If you're getting of chew - no whiskey or burbon and buy some beef jerky. In reading thru all these posts you'd think everyone has a full service bar at home. These recipes are more complicated than award winning ribs. I like it simple (not chewing): Beam and diet. #2 - crystal light and vodka w/ a twist.

If you want to get fancy:
1. The peels of 12 meyer lemons (no pith)
2. 1 liter of respectable (not great) vodka
Add the two together and let sit for 40 days

3. Strain out the peel
4. Mix w/ a simple syrup (1 cup sugar w/ 1 1/2 cup water disolved and cooled)
5. Put in fridge (not freezer)
6. Enjoy over ice

tonay #144815 10/16/06 03:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>These recipes are more complicated than award winning ribs.

Speaking for my recipe, I spent almost 30 years waiting to get sufficiently organized to find the recipes, stock the ingredients, invite the guests and mix up a batch of Fog Cutters. This was emphatically *not* an everyday event.

EDIT - that lemon vodka recipe sounds interesting. Is "no pith" an attribute of the lemons or is it something I need to be careful about when preparing the peels...

... and, come to think of it, how *does* one peel a lemon anyways ?

Last edited by bridgman; 10/16/06 03:16 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #144816 10/16/06 10:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Check these out. Even though the ingredients sound more like entree items, I can attest that the drinks are outstanding. I had the watermelon w/ chili powder and my wife had one w/ ginger beer and balsamic vinegar.

This is a FANTASTIC restaurant in Healdsburg, CA and IIRC, it received 2 Michelin stars.

Cyrus Restaurant

bridgman #144817 10/16/06 11:05 PM
T
T
Hi

Peeling lemons - use a regular vegetable peeler like you would use on potato or carrots. Try to only get the yellow rind, that is were all the lemon oil and flavor is, just like zest.

Also, misqouted the syrup - 3 1/2 cup water w/ 2 1/2 cup sugar.

Have great one

Ken.C #144818 09/08/07 10:56 PM
To dig up another old thread...

The other night, for the first time in about a year, my wife asked me to make her a drink. Axiom boards to the rescue! I couldn't remember what I'd made her last, only that she really liked it. Well, here it is!

Ken.C #144819 09/08/07 11:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good work, Ken!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #226376 10/22/08 11:52 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Reviving an old thread with a new creation. I was experimenting with some different stuff I had in the cabinet and came up with a really tasty drink. So much so, I haven’t been feeling too good today……

Typical martini style mixing.

Two ounces Sky Cherry Vodka
One ounce Vanilla liqueur
Once ounce Blue Curacao
One ounce pineapple juice
Throw in a vanilla bean for the picture....

Shake the piss out of it and strain.

michael_d #226377 10/22/08 11:55 PM
Looks interesting. Any particular vanilla liqueur?

Ken.C #226378 10/23/08 12:05 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
From the color of it, you didn't quite shake it enough.

tomtuttle #226413 10/23/08 04:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I've got a really good web friend in Brazil who desperately wants me to try their national drink, the caipirinha. It's made with sugar, limes, and a Brazilian liquor called, cachaca. Have any of you tried one before? I guess the drink is slowly catching on in the US, but it still can be difficult finding cachaca. Fortunately, I was able to find it around here, but I haven't made the caipirinha yet. I'm waiting to try it the first time during a video chat with my friend so she can either watch me cringe or smile. I'm sure I'll smile. It looks pretty darned tasty...and strong too!

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
sonicfox #226438 10/23/08 01:57 PM
It's a right tasty drink. I make it a fair amount. It's pretty much a mojito without the mint, and with a slightly different liquor.

Ken.C #226440 10/23/08 02:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fox -

These are a staple in our house. They are uber-yummy. They are incredibly strong, but very very good. I have a friend who more or less gave up all drinking 10 years ago because he just hates the taste of alcohol (beer, wine, hard liquor, anything). However, amazingly, the guy guzzles caipirinhas like they are going out of style. I think you'll be pleased. \:\)

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
Ken.C #226461 10/23/08 04:01 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Looks interesting. Any particular vanilla liqueur?

Just a cheap one. Dekuypers

michael_d #226464 10/23/08 04:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike, with my sweet tooth, that looks like a tasty martini. I'll have to give it a shot.

Mary, ditto, if it's not too minty as you said.

Cool thread, back from the dead!

sonicfox #226468 10/23/08 04:55 PM
I still have some cachaca in the cabinet from when I use to make those a lot. Maybe it's time to break it out again. \:\)

tomtuttle #226476 10/23/08 05:44 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
From the color of it, you didn't quite shake it enough.

How the hell do you keep getting out of your room???!!!

michael_d #226502 10/23/08 07:12 PM
Uh, Doc? It's limey. Not minty. No mint in that one.

Ken.C #226507 10/23/08 07:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, then I guess it's not too Minty. JP should be safe. ;\)

Ken.C #226510 10/23/08 07:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Lime....mint....turnip.
Don't be so picky.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #226515 10/23/08 08:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Exactly, bottoms up.

myrison #226549 10/24/08 12:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like a tasty drink. After last years trip to Seattle and tasting the perfect mojito,and not being able to find one as good again I may have to give this a shot.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #226556 10/24/08 01:16 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The world's most perfect mojito can be found in Dallas at a lovely restaurant called La Duni Latin Cafe. Now, whether their drinks, dinners, or desserts are the stars of the show is a toss-up. (Can you tell I love this place?)

pmbuko #226594 10/24/08 03:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Well I will have to check this place out, it is right next to my old office and not too far from the new one(s) (damn this mobile modern world!).

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
SatKartr #226599 10/24/08 03:41 AM
Great place for a date, though I only ever went with coworkers on business trips.

pmbuko #226610 10/24/08 04:23 AM
I'll vouch for the place as well, although I didn't have any drinks there as I was driving and on my own.

Ken.C #226612 10/24/08 04:30 AM
I'll vouch for Ken's metabolism and say it's a good call when he chooses not to drink. ;\) Next time, take a cab.

pmbuko #226615 10/24/08 04:34 AM
Why the hell didn't I think of that?

pmbuko #226616 10/24/08 04:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Well I'll have to take my wife out there then, that's the best reason to go out in that neighborhood (pricey $$) and the best company in which to imbibe. \:\)

SatKartr #226618 10/24/08 04:52 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Although don't get me wrong, I love the Mexican/"Latin"(?) food, it might be my personal fave--really I can't get enough, the only time I've gone out to lunch (twice a week like clockwork) for the last two years is at La Picosa's in Richardson where no one speaks English, I live for that stuff, I mean my great grandmother was Spanish (no joke) \:\) .

SatKartr #240265 01/14/09 10:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I recently went to the liquor store and assembled the makin's of a real liquor cabinet: vodka, gin, vermouth, rum, triple sec, Midori, Blue Curacao, vanilla vodka, among others.

I found this recipe online and fired it up last night.

Absolut Hulk

2 1/2 oz Absolut® Vanilia vodka
2 1/2 oz Midori® melon liqueur
1/2 oz gomme syrup
3 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice

(shake over ice, strain, serve in Collins glass)

My lime squeezed out only 1 oz juice (snicker), so I adjusted the other ingredients down a bit to keep an approximate ratio. Instead of the simple (gomme) syrup, I added a tsp fine sugar.

Good stuff!

medic8r #240274 01/14/09 11:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One of my favorite things to have in the liquor cabinet is Grand Marnier. Gosh I love that stuff, but unfortunately the bottle does not last too long in my case. It is too expensive of a habit to drink daily but it is sure nice to have on special occasions.

It is great in a lot of desserts too, especially in chocolate mousse.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #240294 01/15/09 02:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Mmmm... Gran Marnier. Havn't had any in a while. I always liked a shot in coffee.

I had a rather tasty coctail last weekend. Pomegranate juice, vodka, a shot of some lemon liquer, a twist of lemon and a handful of fresh pomegranate kernels?? (what the heck do you call those?). Yum, yum.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
medic8r #240298 01/15/09 02:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Absolut Hulk

2 1/2 oz Absolut® Vanilia vodka
2 1/2 oz Midori® melon liqueur
1/2 oz gomme syrup
3 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice

(shake over ice, strain, serve in Collins glass)

Sounds cloying.

pmbuko #240324 01/15/09 03:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
What can I say; I have a serious sweet tooth. If I ever get type II diabetes, I probably will despair mightily.

medic8r #240325 01/15/09 03:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tonight I had a blue dragonfly (equal parts Hypnotiq and Absolut Vanilia, with a splash of Sprite) and a Cinnamon Toast Crunch (1:2 Goldschlager:Absolut Vanilia).

My liver is holding up a sign asking WTF is going on.

medic8r #240327 01/15/09 03:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh Goldschlager that brings me back to my university days \:\)

Had these many of times at the bar

Screaming Nazis

1/2 shot of Goldschlager
1/2 shot of Jagermeister

BTW Limoncello is excellent and I also like Black Sambuca. Black Sambuca is really nice after a filling meal.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #240334 01/15/09 03:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I keep it very simple with drinks. This is an all time classic that I love \:\)

7 and 7

2 oz Whiskey (Seagram's 7 if you have it)
5 oz 7-up
1 wedge of lemon or lime

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #240338 01/15/09 03:54 AM
My cousin gave my sister a bottle of home-made limoncello. It was excellent. Not too sweet, nicely lemony, and smoooooth. \:\)

BlueJays1 #240341 01/15/09 03:57 AM
I will never again drink Rumple Minze. 100 proof peppermint schnapps. Ow!

I "decorated" the western span of the Bay Bridge with whatever I happened to have in my stomach that night.

EDIT: My wife, who was in the front passenger seat and is a sympathetic puker, was gracious that I had enough wits about me to roll down the window and puke silently. I was in the seat behind her. Her cousin was driving and had to hose the right side of the car down when she got home.

Last edited by pmbuko; 01/15/09 04:11 AM. Reason: added chunks of detail
pmbuko #240343 01/15/09 04:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
"Mommy, look!! They must have big seagulls out here on the bridge."

St_PatGuy #240348 01/15/09 05:22 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
There sure are a lot more drink recipes that surface on this site than cookie recipes.

CV #240349 01/15/09 06:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
"How to make a Bitter Cocktail"

*see above post

St_PatGuy #240352 01/15/09 06:44 AM
C
CV Offline
C
\:D

CV #246233 02/11/09 02:43 AM
Tonight, I'm most of the way through a double black sambuca on the rocks, with a twist dash of lemon juice. My wife absolutely killed me in a game of Gin Rummy and it's helping to soften the blow.

pmbuko #246380 02/12/09 04:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #246387 02/12/09 05:48 AM
I would have been all over that in college. I think J.P. might want to be all over that now. \:\)

pmbuko #246394 02/12/09 01:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I will never again drink Rumple Minze. 100 proof peppermint schnapps. Ow!

I "decorated" the western span of the Bay Bridge with whatever I happened to have in my stomach that night.

EDIT: My wife, who was in the front passenger seat and is a sympathetic puker, was gracious that I had enough wits about me to roll down the window and puke silently. I was in the seat behind her. Her cousin was driving and had to hose the right side of the car down when she got home.

I knew I recognized you from somewhere Peter...

Peter and the Lil' Missus

\:D

Rick
Our Room

smile
pmbuko #246395 02/12/09 01:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looks good. I like how they say at the end, mix with ginger ale, etc.

BTW, Vanilla vodka + ginger ale (1:2 or 1:3) = Cake Mix (cake batter).

medic8r #260028 05/12/09 01:49 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Need. Help.

Having enjoyed Pearl Blueberry Vodka, I bought a fifth of Absolut Raspberi Vodka.

It's cough syrup. What can I mix it with to make it palatable?

TIA.

tomtuttle #260031 05/12/09 02:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Need. Help.

Having enjoyed Pearl Blueberry Vodka, I bought a fifth of Absolut Raspberi Vodka.

It's cough syrup. What can I mix it with to make it palatable?

TIA.

Iced tea

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #260040 05/12/09 02:42 AM
Genius!

pmbuko #260075 05/12/09 01:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Take out your blender, mix in 2 parts Iced Tea, 1 part lemon bar mix, 2 teaspoons of your favorite sweetener. Lightly blend for 10 seconds. Open a red or dark ale then remove the jug from the blender and pour the entire contents down the sink. Drink the beer.

Murph #260076 05/12/09 01:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Guinness, BRILLIANT!

medic8r #260137 05/12/09 09:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Guinness, BRILLIANT!

Probably one of the best advertising campaigns ever.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #260138 05/12/09 10:02 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
 Quote:
pour the entire contents down the sink. Drink the beer.

I've been doing that all along. I guess I just have to make the vodka drink stronger.

tomtuttle #260227 05/14/09 12:50 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Mix it with regular vodka. I do that with the flavored vodkas that are too sweet all the time.

michael_d #260229 05/14/09 12:53 AM
That stuff must be really, really sweet. I have a hard time imagining a vodka that could be described as "cough syrup."

Ken.C #260232 05/14/09 12:55 AM
I am just imagining a HUGE Axiom get togethor someday, somewhere, where we can all meet, what a party that would be, now somebody start planning it...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #260238 05/14/09 01:08 AM
The trick will be the airline tickets...

Ken.C #260247 05/14/09 01:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Apparently I'm driving to Texas for a 4th of July party, so I could probably drag one of those hay-ride wagons behind the Jeep if that helps. Might get a trifle windy on the Interstate but I have to slipstream behind the big trucks to get over 80 MPH anyways and the slipstream always reduces the wind.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/14/09 01:38 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #260260 05/14/09 04:29 AM
Have you tried harnessing the gravitational well of a localized black hole to slingshot your Jeep to a faster speed?

pmbuko #282098 12/11/09 07:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
No, but if I can find a black hole nearby I'll give it a try next summer.

Latest revelation on the cocktail front -- I was flipping idly through "Beachbum Berry's Grog Log" looking for something that matched the ingredients I had on the kitchen counter, and tried something unusual (at least for me). The recipe was for the "Hawaii Kai Treasure", unusual in the sense that it included 1/2 oz of half-and-half cream.

The recipe called for more lime than grapefruit, but I ended up with something like :

- juice from 1/2 lime
- juice from 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/2 oz half-and-half cream
- 1/2 oz curacao
- 1/2 oz orgeat
- 2 oz rum (El Dorado demerara happened to be in front)
- 1 cup crushed ice

This was mostly an excuse to play with the new blender (a retro Oster unit with "1000 watts of Osterizing Power", whatever that means, but apparently it will blend golf balls), however the result was surprisingly tasty. I had stayed away from any recipes containing eggs, cream, or...

... OK, that's wierd. The motion sensor light just kicked on and some kind of animal ran past the window. Not sure if it was a mouse/rat on the window sill or something much larger on the ground, but don't see tracks so leaning towards mouse on the window sill...

... but anyways the addition of 1/2 oz cream before blending totally changed the taste of the drink, much more than expected.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #282193 12/12/09 04:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Here's my #1 cocktail:

one part good bourbon
one part glass

using a snifter tonight. that make it a foofy drink?

bigwill2 #282194 12/12/09 04:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Red wine during and after dinner. Grand Marnier as a digestive and now I am into the dark rum. I have to admit I feel stoned and tired right now.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #282206 12/12/09 04:42 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mark, you've got your proportions all messed up.

bridgman #282237 12/13/09 05:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
... OK, that's wierd. The motion sensor light just kicked on and some kind of animal ran past...

Was the lid on the blender at the time? That might account for the greater than expected shift in taste.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #282243 12/13/09 06:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ewww.

Update on the animal situation - went outside in the morning and noticed that the new house has no window sills, so it must have been a larger animal running past on the ground.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bigwill2 #282410 12/14/09 10:58 PM
My wife recently got into whiskey tonics. Works best with cheaper whiskey, such as Jim Beam. \:\)

pmbuko #282411 12/14/09 11:03 PM
Izzat just whiskey and soda water?

Ken.C #282412 12/14/09 11:05 PM
No. Tonic water, like I wrote.

pmbuko #282413 12/14/09 11:07 PM
Ah, didn't know the difference. What I actually mean to type was "carbonated water."

Now I know the difference.

Ken.C #282414 12/14/09 11:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
With whisky I like 7up, 7&7 though I like tonic water with about anything. Rum and Tonic are awesome especially with a lot of the amber/dark rums. One of my favorites. Gin is still my favorite liquor of choice- neat or mixed.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #282598 12/16/09 06:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Two things...

1. Unlike most threads, this one is *really* worth re-reading from the beginning every so often.

2. A margarita made with rum is really good, arguably better than many tiki drinks, and deserves a better name than "rum-rita". The obvious name (daiquiri) doesn't quite fit because it really needs an orange liqueur rather than sugar syrup for best results :

- juice of 1 lime (1.5 oz - 2 oz)
- 2 oz rum (I used Appleton V/X)
- 1/2 oz Cointreau
- ice cubes
- some shaking

Don't think I have the proportions quite right yet. I think the best taste was with a bit more lime juice than rum, ie a fairly tart taste. I did a brief "deep dive" into tiki drinks, including making things like "cinnamon infused syrup" and buying a bottle of Pernod so I could add six drops plus a dash of Angostura, concluded that all the tiki drinks were starting to taste alike, and decided to go back to simple drinks.

Make that three things...

Reading back through the thread, it appears that I may have talked about Fog Cutters and Samoan Fog Cutters interchangeably. Samoan Fog Cutters are blended, while Fog Cutters are shaken and have a bit more rum. A well made Fog Cutter is still hard to beat, and IMO maybe the finest of the tiki drinks...

Thanks for the reminder about tonic water. If you haven't picked up some cans of coconut water, that's also worth a try. Very refreshing, almost enough that you can convince yourself mixed drinks are healthy ;\)

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #282669 12/16/09 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, the animal mystery is solved. Went outside this morning and saw a big black weasel-like animal hanging out in the woods about 30 feet from the house. It went up on its hind legs (just like a meerkat), looked at me for a minute, then scampered off.

I was surprised how big it was - this one was maybe the size of a fox or a bit larger. My first thought was that I was looking at a fisher, but starting to wonder if it might have been a wolverine.

EDIT - looks like wolverines are normally brown rather than black, and tend to live further north. I'm staying with "fisher".

Maybe I'll continue this in the "got coyotes ?" thread.

Last edited by bridgman; 12/16/09 08:13 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #282671 12/16/09 08:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
"Honeth th-th-son...he wath dith big" \:D

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #282682 12/16/09 09:10 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
John, you must have some ginormous limes where you live. No way I'm getting 2 oz of juice from one of those green ping-pong balls we seem to get. That sounds pretty darn tart. When I make Margaritas (always rocks) I use 4 tequila, 3 triple sec, 2 lime juice.

tomtuttle #282694 12/16/09 10:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You have to pick out the heavy limes with thin, light coloured skins. They normally give between 1.5 and 2 oz when selection is good.

Average limes seem to give more like an ounce, and I've had some that didn't even have 1/2 oz. That 4:1 variation sure makes it hard to get a consistent taste. When I'm mixing drinks for guests I usually measure the amount of juice before mixing and either scale the other ingredients or cut up another lime.

Lemons are much more consistent, for some reason, and work surprisingly well in margaritas as long as nobody sees you mixing their drink.

Last edited by bridgman; 12/16/09 10:16 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #282757 12/17/09 03:21 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I tried Crown Royal Cask recently. Nice stuff. It was on sale, so I figured I'd give it a try. Very smooth.

michael_d #284858 01/02/10 12:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, I solved the "why isn't there a name for a margerita made with rum ?" mystery. If you make a Margerita with rum and add a bit of sweet stuff it's called a Mai Tai...

... and it's a bit too sweet ;\)

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
michael_d #387676 01/03/13 12:04 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M

I found a unique bottle of, well not real sure what to call it. But it was good enough to revive this thread to recommend it. If you like ginger, you'll like this stuff....

http://www.artintheage.com/spirits-landing/snap/

I have not tried their other liquors yet, but plan to.

michael_d #389468 02/09/13 02:07 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Got to experimenting again… Came up with a drink worth sharing, it’s pretty damn good.

Two parts Bourbon (I used Maker’s Mark)
One part Ginger and lemon simple syrup.
One part Ginger Beer
Fresh Mint

You’ll need to make the syrup. 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, four stocks of lemon grass (make sure you smack the stalks with a cleaver or something to break them up a bit), two tablespoons or thereabouts of diced ginger root. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for about half an hour. Remove lemon grass and strain. Let cool.

Muddle five or six mint leaves in a glass with ice. Don’t muddle too much, just enough. Add the bourbon, syrup and ginger beer. Shake with ice. Strain into an ice filled glass or into a martini glass. Roll another mint leave around in the palm of your hand to release its smell/flavor and drop it into the glass.

Very crisp and refreshing. You may want to play with the ratios a bit to your taste. Be careful, two of us killed a whole bottle of bourbon in about three hours and didn’t even realize it, till it was too late. Regretting doing that the next morning.

michael_d #389486 02/09/13 03:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Looks great, Mike. What kind of ginger beer? Isn't it pretty sweet?

michael_d #389490 02/09/13 04:12 PM
Not homemade.

michael_d #389497 02/09/13 05:31 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I use Reeds. It's as sweet as you want it really. Just play with the ratios. The syrup goes a long way....

tomtuttle #389506 02/09/13 07:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks great, Mike. What kind of ginger beer? Isn't it pretty sweet?

Find some Bundaberg from Australia - Costco carries it, so does Cost Plus.

Scott

My HT
michael_d #389507 02/09/13 07:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That does look good.

We ran across a margarita variant called an Alcatraz at the Cuchon Butcher Cuchon Butcher in New Orleans;

Tequilla
Fresh lime juice
Steen's Cane syrup
Triple Sec or Grand Marnier (optional)

Interesting sweetness for the cane syrup...

Scott

My HT
michael_d #389610 02/11/13 12:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Is it just me or do instructions to

"whack your stalk"
but
"do not muddle too much"

seem contradictory to you?

michael_d #389631 02/11/13 08:50 PM
Speaking of cocktails, have you head that Maker's Mark, to keep up with demand, is going to make each cask go a little further by increasing the amount of water in every bottle?

michael_d #389633 02/11/13 11:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yes, I got an email to that effect. I don't suppose they're going to reduce the price, though. Uncool.

michael_d #389634 02/11/13 11:40 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Murph you need to get laid. smile

Marker's Mark is off my shopping list, indefinitely.

michael_d #389639 02/12/13 01:52 AM
veteran
veteran
Bourbon lovers...try the Kirkland Signature bourbon from Costco...53%, smoothest and tastiest bourbon I have ever tried. Here in Edmonton it is on $35 for a 1L bottle. Well worth it!

1sweetspot #389656 02/12/13 04:48 AM
I wish the laws in Virginia allowed Costco to carry liquor. I have to go to a State store to buy anything stronger than beer and wine. frown

michael_d #389663 02/12/13 06:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
From Buzzfeed:

"Maker's Mark is getting watered down. Until you and Maker's can kiss and (hopefully) make up, here are other good bourbons to turn to."

michael_d #389664 02/12/13 06:03 PM
I like Knob Creek well enough. Then again, I use Maker's Mark and Knob Creek as my mixing bourbons, so...

My sipping bourbon at the moment (heh, a moment that's lasted several years) is Black Maple Creek.

michael_d #389672 02/12/13 07:39 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I've had most but not all of the bottles on that excellent list. I just prefer the residual sweetness in Maker's. Time to try some of the others.

Ken, I finally had some of the Black Maple Creek. It was excellent. LOTS of different things going on, but I'm not sure I want quite that much maple and vanilla.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fussy drunk.

We have very high liquor taxes in WA, so while Costco is still a good value, I'll bet that Kirkland Signature 1L will be closer to $55 here. I used to pay about $30 for 750ml of Maker's, but the Costco-funded initiative to privatize liquor sales has raised prices by about 15%.

Man, now I want to go to BevMo. Right now.

michael_d #389673 02/12/13 07:50 PM
Aww. I miss BevMo.

michael_d #389679 02/12/13 10:06 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Bourbon is not something I reach for when I'm in the mood to drink something neat, or with a cube of ice. It just doesn't do it for me... I did however try that Maple Creek a couple months ago and liked it. Still not enough to sip it straight though.

Whisky / Whiskey is mostly water, but it just pisses me off that Maker's has arbitrarily decided to change their blend to increase product distribution by adding more water. That just reeks of immoral practices to me. If you look to any winery that sells out, they don't change their wine making philosophy to meet demand, they tell folks to act quicker. It's just part of the game.

michael_d #389911 02/20/13 08:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Apparently, they listened. New Coke.

Quote:
Dear Ambassador,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels
Chief Operating Officer,
Ambassador-in-Chief

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus,
Ambassador-at-Large

tomtuttle #389925 02/21/13 04:35 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Man, they wasted all that MM testing for nothing.Sheeesh!

SBrown #389937 02/21/13 12:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good for them.
So many companies make changes under the radar.

Of course it could all be a brilliant marketing ploy. I've never had it before but now I'd like to try it, so if so, it worked.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters