Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: Cocktail anyone?
samandnoah #144751 08/05/06 08:30 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I like the scratch Margarita recipe Rich. I’m gunna try it…..

My scratch is:

Cuervo 1800 or Don Julio
Triple sect or Cointreau
Lime aid (spoon full)
Shake and strain

My blended margarita (beergarita):

Fill blender with crushed ice
Add 1/2 can of lime aid
Half can of any old (non dark) beer and blend for a second or so to mix it up.
Add 1/2 can of Tequila of choice (My favorite is Don Julio but it’s kind of a waste for a blended drink)
Blend it some more until it’s smooth (if you blend with the Tequila right off the bat, it melts the ice too quick)

The real trick is blending it. It needs to be thick enough to float a shot of Grand Marnier on top but not too thick. That’s the kicker! I pour the Grand Marnier over an upside down spoon onto the ice.

I also change it a little per my mood. Sometimes I’ll add Midori or other flaverfull liquor instead of the Grand Marnier.

Tom,

I use regular cubes out the fridge. Same as yours and I also think crushed is too fine. They melt too fast. I fill the shaker about half full and always change the ice for different drinks.

michael_d #144752 08/05/06 08:43 PM
shareholder in the making
It all sounds really good... Can I put in a request for foofy drink recipes? My wife likes them, and I don't like to drink alone.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for foofy drinks.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
samandnoah #144753 08/05/06 08:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There used to be certain instructions in a recipe which would catch the eye and promise good things to come. "Grease generously" was always one of the favorites.

Now I have a new one -- "2 cans of tequila"

Last edited by bridgman; 08/05/06 08:49 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Ken.C #144754 08/05/06 10:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

It all sounds really good... Can I put in a request for foofy drink recipes? My wife likes them, and I don't like to drink alone.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for foofy drinks.

Yesterday afternoon on a whim I bought some rum and some fruit for daquiris. It was such a pleasant, not too hot day I thought I would try something different, and my wife loves the froo-froo drinks too. This is what I did:

1 (ripest you can find) banana or equivalent in other very ripe fruit. We used strawberries and fresh pineapple as well. You can mix/match as well.

1 splash Triple-Sec.

2 splashes Rose's sweet lime.

about a teaspoon extra-fine sugar (it dissolves intantly, regular granulated sugar may not dissolve completely leaving your drink gritty).

2 oz dark rum or to taste (I pushed the "to taste" envelope as the night wore on).

1 1/2 cups ice.

Put into blender and blend until ice is well mixed. I like the "frappe" setting which makes it like a smoothie.

This will make 2 drinks or drink in a big margarita glass. If you double it up (which would be about a full blender) use a little less ice or it could get watery.

Something I want to try that one of our guests suggested is using frozen fruit and little/no ice. This gives a more fruity flavor. Sounds good, although my response was "I feel fruity enough drinking these as it is."

LJ

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Ken.C #144755 08/06/06 01:42 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
My last foo-foo was too foo-foo for me, but she may like it. (my girlfriend loved it)

Easy version:
Two parts Mango rum (several to pick from)
One part coconut rum
One part white cranberry juice
Shake and strain into a martini glass

Better / stiffer version

Two parts mango infused vodka
One part coconut rum
One part white cranberry juice
Shake and strain in a martini glass

You could also make her a razatini (my version)

Two parts vodka (half for more foo-foo)
One half part Cointreau (double for more foo-foo)
One half part Chambord (double for more foo-foo)
One part cranberry juice
Dash of lime juice (optional)
Shake and strain

Or the regular Cosmo

Two parts vodka
One part Cointreau
One part cranberry
Dash of lime juice
Shake and strain

Or just about any combination of peach schnapps and juice. Add a little coconut rum.

You can go crazy with foo-foo drinks. They’re pretty fun to make. Just stick with the flavored rums and it’s hard to make a bad one.

Do you know some specific likes / dislikes she has??

michael_d #144756 08/06/06 01:56 AM
That is a can of worms, that last question there. Let's see...
neither of us like gin at all (actually makes me physically ill)
She doesn't like drinks that taste like alcohol.
She likes sweet drinks; she describes it as liking the drink to be more about the flavor of what's in it than the taste of alcohol.

michael_d #144757 08/06/06 04:06 AM
Well, Rich, I'm happy to say that I rather liked your second recipe! So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time--no sugar!

I also found a recipe for my wife--I'll use recipes on here when I have the ingredients---which I'll share here, since she seemed to like it. Well, I sort of adapted it per her specifications, so here goes:

Not-a-Velvet-Hammer

1 oz Godiva Liqueur
1 oz Malibu Rum
1 oz Heavy Cream
1/2 oz brandy (this didn't go in this time, but I'm including it for completeness)

Shake.

Serve.

The original recipe, of course, calls for Cointreau or the like, but she prefers coconut with her chocolate.

Addendum: she just tasted my margarita and declared it quite drinkable, sans the salt on the rim.

Last edited by kcarlile; 08/06/06 04:08 AM.
Ken.C #144758 08/06/06 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Has she tried a Samoan Fog Cutter ? It's an old Trader Vic's standard. Sort of a foo-foo zombie, right down to the little umbrella.

I'm linking rather than copying in case Trader Vics has some kind of copyright on the recipe.

http://www.tradervicsatlanta.com/index.cfm/action/showpage/page/drinks.htm

EDIT -- Huh, how about that. It has gin in it. All those years I never suspected...

Never mind ;(

Last edited by bridgman; 08/06/06 04:36 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #144759 08/06/06 04:37 AM
Might still be good; I'm the one who gets sick from it. And we do have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire--which I was intending to give away at some point.

Ken.C #144760 08/06/06 03:31 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well if you could narrow down what type of fruit or flavor, that would help. If she liked your chocolate drink, that’s a start. I’ve got a couple chocolate martini recipes, but I rarely make them because I can’t stand them. I’ve also got numerous mixes that have absolutely no hint of alcohol taste or bite to them. They’re deadly….

Does anyone have a good Key Lime Pie Martini mix?? I’ve been trying for months to come up with one and just can’t seam to get it right. I had one at an airport Cheers about a year ago and just can’t duplicate it. Man it was good. I’ve been playing with vanilla vodka, vodka and vanilla liquor, lime, lemon, Cointreau and cream, but it’s still missing something no matter how I mix it all up. They also put some type of flavored sugar on the rim and I don’t remember what it was.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup