#148787 10/05/06 06:25 AM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Hello,
I currently own a Pioneer VSX-D511 and a 5.1 satellite/sub system that I bought a good 5-7 years ago. It's just a simple HTIB that has served me well until I grew a craving for more clairity and definately more bass. Now that I'm almost done university I'm not as budget llimited as I was back then, I am finally looking at getting a better HT. My main goal for this project is bang-for-buck, which led me directly to Axiom. As it stands now, my setup is as follows:

Mains: M22
Center: VP100
Surrounds: QS8
Sub: SVS PB12-NSD
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
Cables: 12 Gauge speaker cable from bluejeanscable.com with their Banana Plugs

The purpose will be mainly for movies, but I will be playing music on it constantly while doing homework. My current room is about 11'x14'x7' (WxLxH), but that is only for the next year or two until I move out after I'm done University.

I'm still not quite set on the sub. I hear the EP350 sounds great for music since it's very fast and more accurate, but lacks the low range punch that I've heard the SVS's are great for. That's why I'm leaning strongly towards the PB12 as it has plently of punch for movies (or so I've heard). The PB12 comes to about $800 CDN with shipping and duties, so the price is almost identical to the EP350. I am also considering the HSU VTF-3 and 2, but the VTF-3 seems like a little too much money for me right now, and I'm guessing that the VTF-2 is a step back from the PB12, probably similar to the PB10.

Now just a week ago, PaulM graciously offered to let me audition his system. It sounded excellent, very clear, defined, and shook my bones when it decided to. The two things in particular that he recommended I listen to were The Eagles: Hotel California (DTS DVD-Video) and the opening train scene from Polar Express. The Eagles was amazing, it sounded like it was real. It's one of those things that's hard to explain with words. I was so impressed with it that I'm currently looking around to try and get my hands on a copy to listen to on my new system when I get it . Now I know what all the reviews were talking about saying that Axioms bring the concert to your home. As for Polar Express, that is exactly the experience I was looking from from a sub. It starts off quiet as the train approaches, then slowly builds until the sound is literally shaking you in your seat. Needless to say, the rest of the system brought the scene to life with crystal clairity and great surround effects. Great stuff. I really appreciate Paul doing that for me.

To tell the truth, I liked his system so much that I've tailored almost my whole system the same as what he has :P. The only difference is that I am considering the PB12 as opposed to his PB10 and I'm looking at a different receiver. The larger sub may not be necessary, but that's why I'd like your opinions.

Is the PB12 going to overpower the rest of the system? If I'm not looking to upgrade for quite some time, is it worth it or strongly suggested to drop the extra cash for a VP150, or is the VP100 still excellent, just not quite enough for really big rooms? Any advice on the Yami receiver, or suggestion for others in the same price range?

Sorry for the long post . I'm just experiencing a 'slight' amount of buyers excitement .
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to ask about Axiom's free High Gloss Cherry upgrade. Does anyone know if that's only available on new speakers, or can I receive the same free upgrade if I wait for Factory outlet ones? I would like the extra 10% off, but not at the expense of losing out on the High Gloss finish. Thanks again.

Last edited by JasonB; 10/05/06 06:32 AM.
Re: New HT Advice
JasonB #148788 10/05/06 09:38 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jason, welcome. In your present room size(and even in a fairly larger future location)you might save a bit by using QS4s and I'd also suggest that you consider a vertical M2 center.

The PB12(or any other component)can't "overpower" the rest, since you calibrate the levels to match. Nevertheless, again considering room sizes, the PB10 or other similar should be plenty for your needs.

The 659 is excellent and a real bargain. You might also consider the Onkyo 604 in a similar price range.

My thought is that the high-gloss cherry upgrade requires a special order and isn't available from the factory outlet(which incidentally uses "new" speakers, but with possibly a slight cosmetic blemish), but contact Axiom directly for specific information.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #148789 10/05/06 02:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jason,

Although I am not yet an owner, I too was looking at a VERY similar setup to yours.

I actually do have the RX-V659 (got it $150 off at a liquidation sale), but no speakers yet.

I as well was looking at the PB12-NSD. THe fact is, it is just HUGE! I suggest building a to scale drawing of your room in excel or something, because actually seeing the size of that beast on a scaled drawing will probably suprise you. And given your room size, you don't have as much spare space to work with.

According to my calculations about a month ago, the PB12-NSD will be around $850CAD with brokerage fees and taxes (PST and GST).

If you DO decide to go with SVS in the end, wait for their Canadian Counterpart to open shop (was supposed to be at the end of Sep), they will be shipping direct from canada therefore getting rid of the brokerage fees and some other fees as well I think.

I haven't ordered yet, But I have decided to go with the EP500, you just can't beat it! (my room is 14 x 16)

In return to cover the extra costs of the EP500, i will be downgrading from a VP150 to a single vertical M22 for a centre, and QS8s down to QS4s (I still may use QS8s for the sides, by QS4s are def. in for the rears). As well I will be using M22s as the mains.

I agree with John using an M2 as a centre channel. I am sure Bridgeman will chime in here pretty soon. He in the past has used an M2 as a centre channel (pretty sure anyway).

-Hutz

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/05/06 02:56 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148790 10/05/06 03:29 PM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have sized out the PB12 in my room with a tape measure, and I saw the PB10 in person. My main reason for heading for the PB12 over the PB10 is the extra bass extension. I absolutely love when a big explosion hits you in the chest with bass and continues to rattle your bones with the rumbling that follows. And I do realize that it is huge, but I have a nice pile of accumulated junk (textbooks, old school work, etc.) at the front of my room that occupies space that I can't use currently anyways. This would give me incentive to finally clean that up .

Now there is logical reasoning for having that junk where it is. Call me crazy, but a month ago or so, I tryed out that sub-crawling technique and I only slightly moved my sub and everything sounded way louder and cleaner. For some reason, I moved something in my room (probably from the 'pile') and totally destroyed the good sound from my new sub placement. I simply could not get that same sound back. Then all of a sudden, I have no idea what I did, but it was back. So until I get my new system (as long as that happens soon) I have decided not to touch anything in the pile... You gotta love how picky cheap subs really are .

Anyways, back on topic. What trade offs am I looking at with going with the QS4's instead of QS8's? I saw that the QS8's carry bass much better (-9db goes down to ~60Hz, while I think the QS4's only go to 90). Now I know that this reading represents a fairly large drop off in SPL level at these frequencies, but quiet bass is better then no bass. I guess i could cross over those frequencies to the sub, but is that going to sacrafice the surround experience?

I have also looked into the possibility of getting the EP500, and I simply can't stretch my budget enough to get that right now. If you say it's WAY better then the PB12, I may get the PB10 for now and upgrade to the EP500 later if I happen to move to a larger room and desire the extra bass slam. I also don't think my parents would appreciate me rattling the nails out of the walls in their second floor bedroom from mine in the basement .

I really appreciate the heads up on the SVS Canada store. Do you have a link to a website they're setting up, or any contact where I can keep an eye out for when they're opening? I don't mind holding out for a few weeks or a month if it saves me $100.

As for the M2 center, what tradeoff would I be looking at there? I've always heard that the center channel is the most important movies, which is the main purpose of my setup.

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
JasonB #148791 10/05/06 03:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>Now there is logical reasoning for having that junk where it is. Call me crazy, but a month ago or so, I tryed out that sub-crawling technique and I only slightly moved my sub and everything sounded way louder and cleaner.

This may be a result of some sort of bass trapping, I am not sure how effective old textbooks and junk is, but if it effectivly eliminates the bass frequency's gathering in that corner then the more power to ya!

While on the topic of bass trapping, sice you have a smaller room, i suggest bass traps on all 4 corners of your room. Something like this will provide an exponential improvement on bass clarity and response in your room. I plan on bass trapping all the corners in my home theatre once it is done. Remember to use 4" of rigid 703 for your bass traps.

>>What trade offs am I looking at with going with the QS4's instead of QS8's?

I think others will agree with the fact that in a room your size you will not notice much of a difference from the QS8s to the QS4s. Your room isn't big enough to notice the sonic difference in the 2 speakers.

However, if you are future proofing for a bigger room in the future, opt for the QS8s.

>>I guess i could cross over those frequencies to the sub, but is that going to sacrafice the surround experience?

I do not think so because if your sub is placed correctly then you will not be able to tell where the bass is coming from. It should be omni-directional.

>>If you say it's WAY better then the PB12, I may get the PB10 for now and upgrade to the EP500 later...

I have no hands on experience concerning the PB12 compared to the EP500. But just by looking at the specs, the EP500 is in a different league of its own. Its not only the fact that it can play louder, but if you have a small room it will still respond to frequencies as low as 15hz when turned down. So its not about how loud the sub goes for me, its about how will it respond when I am using it for all purposes (music, theatre).

>>I really appreciate the heads up on the SVS Canada store. Do you have a link to a website they're setting up, or any contact where I can keep an eye out for when they're opening?

I am not sure I am allowed to give links on here for competitors, i'll give you a pm.

>>As for the M2 center, what tradeoff would I be looking at there? I've always heard that the center channel is the most important movies, which is the main purpose of my setup.

No clue here, I'll let someone else handle this one!

-Hutz

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/05/06 04:02 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148792 10/05/06 05:50 PM
P
frequent flier
frequent flier
P
i was reading up here and kept hearing you guys talking about crawling around to figure out your bass. How does all this work? just got my ep350 myself and i guess i need to set it up also.

m80's vp150 qs8's ep350 denon 3805
panhead #148793 10/05/06 05:59 PM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Hey panhead,
I'm not sure if I can post links, but I'll PM it to you for a quick read. It seems to work very well.

Hutzal #148794 10/05/06 08:45 PM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Hutzal,
I totally agree with you that the EP500 is in a different league then the PB12, the only problem is that the prices agree with that. I would have to downgrade my whole setup to M2's to work that into the same price range, which I don't see as a logical solution :P. So that leaves me comparing the PB10 and PB12 to the EP350. Maybe in a few more years when I find a bigger room I'll invest in an EP500 .

Oh ya, and you are probably spot on with the bass trap idea for my current sub. Since I'm living at home, my 'theater' is actually my basement bedroom , so there's a lot of absorbing material (bed, carpet, a hanging ceiling, whatever it's called.... valted ceiling?). Also, my room is the weirdest shape you've ever seen. The basic shape is a rectangle, but the front right corner is an angled doorway, the front left is recessed with a bookshelf in the recession, and at the back right there is a big opening into a walk-in-closet/storage space. There's also a beam hanging down from the ceiling about 8" going straight across my room... Not exactly the ideal place to have a home theater, but it's what I have so I make the best of it .

I asked earlier if a PB12 would overpower the rest of the system, and I guess this didn't make much sense. I'm trying to find out if I'm going to have to turn the gain way down on it when I level test it with the rest of the system? For instance, watching a movie I have the fronts, center, and surrounds playing at 80% of their capacity (totally theoretical). I'm wondering if the volume that they put out will only allow me to run the PB12 at say 40-50% of it's max power to be playing at the same level? If this is the case, then maybe the PB10 would be a better fit as it would be closer to 80% of it's max at the same time of the rest of the system........ Does this make any sense??? Or is that ideal to have a lot of headroom with your sub for those really boomy scenes, or if I move into a bigger room? I guess I also get the extra extension with the bigger sub.

I 'am' building this to be future-proof. This is why I am building a system capable of handling a bigger room then I currently have. When I do move out, I won't have the cash to upgrade to a bigger system so I want the one I buy now to be sufficient for at least a few years until I get settled in and get a steady flow of cash going around before I upgrade anything. If I like this as much as the system I auditioned (which I'm sure I will), then I'm looking at keeping this around for several years to come.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming

JasonB #148795 10/05/06 08:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>If this is the case, then maybe the PB10 would be a better fit.

I am sure almost everyone here will agree with your room size the PB10 will be more than enough.

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #148796 10/05/06 08:55 PM
J
JasonB Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Sounds good. But how big of a room can the PB10 fill once I move out? Is the difference is response between the two anything I should consider? I'm now just looking at the future-proofing aspects if I go with the PB10 now.

Sorry if these are all dumb questions. I haven't really been into sub shopping a whole lot during my younger years :P.

EDIT: I just had a thought... what a rare event :P. Anyways, since I was/am considering the EP350, but my outlooks and opinions on it are totally based on reviews and other people's opinions, maybe I should give it a shot and hear it for myself, then decide whether it is enought or not. Axiom has that wonderful 30-Day Money back Guarantee, I could just give it a shot and see if it surprizes me. I have been satisfied with a tiny 6-8" (not even sure what it is), 80W sub up till now... well not satisfied, but lived with . What do you think? Are there any costs involved if I decide not to keep it (i.e. restocking fee, return shipping)?

Last edited by JasonB; 10/05/06 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,076 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup