Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: CV's Setup
Lorenzo1000 #158301 02/12/07 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nice setup- I'm sure it performs great.

I like your center placment, it looks ideal as it fits just below the TV perfectly without a separate stand. You couldn't have planned any better.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #158302 02/12/07 10:59 PM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I'll work backwards on the replies....

Yeah, I liked how the center worked directly in front of the TV. I still have an center channel Omnimount from when I was using Polk Audios, but I figured I may as well put it closer to ear level now that I can.

As for the TV, it's still the XBR1, but the XBR 2 is on the way, supposedly. The girl told me it would be around two weeks, which would be this Friday. So here's hoping.

I decided to use the stands since this is temporary, anyway, and wall-mounting the rear left speaker would have been problematic. I'm sure I'll be wall-mounting the basement, though.

I've considered getting a Harmony remote, but I've never been able to commit, mainly because I really don't mind all of the remotes. It just hasn't frustrated me yet having to use so many. Other people come over and think it's ridiculous, but of course it makes them laugh, too. Maybe one of these days, but for now I have other big purchases to make!

Next will be the Emotiva amp, then a preamp/processor, then... subwoofer. I'm having trouble making my mind up on the subwoofer. I kind of want to stick with Axiom, but I'm also tempted by Hsu. The Axioms definitely look better, and would go with the rest of my system so well, but yeah... the price. And if I do go with Axiom, I imagine I'll go all of the way with the EP600. Then I'd have to decide between the horizontal or vertical orientation. For those of you with EP600s, which orientation do you have? When I set up in the basement, I could go either way. I'll have the TV wall-mounted, the components on a ledge, and the floor below the TV WOULD be free for the EP600. Of course, subwoofer placement doesn't seem so predictable, so maybe it would be wiser to get the vertical with the smaller footprint. Also, it makes me smile thinking my subwoofer would be taller than my mains.

I almost love spending money on this stuff enough to get another job.

CV #158303 09/23/07 11:49 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
First off, new pictures:

As you can see, any changes in positioning since last time are subtle. The main speakers are slightly more toed-in, slightly further apart, and the couch is now 14" away from the wall behind it, with the surround speakers also moved to match. I wish I could have the main speakers even further apart, to make an equilateral triangle, but it doesn't seem possible in this room. It also won't be possible in the basement, unless a wall is taken out. Still, the sound is pretty good.

Room dimensions are 15'x18'x8'. Primary listening position is about 10' from the VP150, and a little over 10.5' from the M80s.

Last edited by CV; 09/23/07 11:55 PM.
Re: Now w/ Integra DTC-9.8 and Axiom A1400-8
CV #158304 09/24/07 12:35 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Re: Axiom A1400-8, paired with Integra DTC-9.8 (replacing Onkyo TX-SR604)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't have the hard data that you all want, so hopefully professional reviews will start appearing soon and take the heat off of me.

However, further impressions...

I've been listening to a wide range of material, including a lot of material that I was somewhat dissatisfied with before. I found that the Tegan and Sara DVD, "It's Not Fun. Don't Do It!" which always struck me as harsh and lean was actually listenable. It still sounds bad next to other way better recordings, but I could actually watch it this time.

I also remembered harshness in The Incredibles, in one of the scenes I often use to impress myself with my system, the one where Dash is racing away from the bad guys in the flying discs. There was always a harsh edge to certain sound effects in that scene, and I'm happy to report that I didn't encounter that this time. It always sounded great, but I'm satisfied that it now sounds better.

I'm fairly certain I was running into the limitations of the receiver. I can now turn the volume up louder, and I don't get the sense that the sound is being distorted, or that the dynamic range is being compressed. It really helps out on concert DVDs. As I mentioned in the other thread, I was really happy with the change in the Ben Folds and WASO Live in Perth DVD, and it also seemed to help the Tori Amos: Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD that I already adored the audio on. I could get it louder, and it still sounded clean. I'm really happy with how "there" I feel.

That being said, there was also material that I couldn't really tell a difference on. I was already happy with how it sounded, and I really can't say if it's better or not.

Generally, most material sounded smoother and fuller.

Was it worth $4600 to upgrade to the new components? I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but for me, I'm okay with it. I can definitely see the argument for being more concerned with the speakers themselves. There's so much more potential for improvement in that part of the equation, and chances are that I didn't need more than the $500 Emotiva LPA-1 (and a new receiver with pre outs) to achieve the same results, but I wanted to get the biggest multichannel amp I could, considering my future dedicated home theater plans. When I found out the preorder discount was going to amount to $850, I had to jump on it.

I made a decidedly huge leap in terms of component cost for a relatively modest improvement. I love the difference, but I'm definitely not going to urge anyone to do the same. I really am curious as to how different I'd think the jump was from a better receiver. The Onkyo I upgraded from was pretty cheap, with a power rating you have to dig to find. I think it was 90 watts per channel. I'd be interested in hearing a receiver that's rated at 130 or 140 watts per channel, advertised as driving 4-ohm loads. The only other receivers I have experience with topped out at 110 watts per channel.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to some more stuff.

CV #158305 09/24/07 02:18 AM
M
M
That's the first I've seen of your room. It's very nice actually. Good move on the toe-in. Any chance that you can move the 80s closer to you?

I believe it's an amazing amp for those that need the power. I'm not surprised by the subtle differences you're reporting though. I would be very curious to know how you feel about it when it's turned up LOUD. Your room may affect the clarity but then again, maybe not. I'd like to know what your bass sounds like out of your 80s (with the 600 off) at different volume levels compared to before.

Mojo #158306 09/24/07 03:57 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:

That's the first I've seen of your room. It's very nice actually. Good move on the toe-in. Any chance that you can move the 80s closer to you?

I could probably get away with a couple of inches. I will play around with it. A little, at least.

Thanks for the comment on my room.

Quote:

I believe it's an amazing amp for those that need the power. I'm not surprised by the subtle differences you're reporting though. I would be very curious to know how you feel about it when it's turned up LOUD. Your room may affect the clarity but then again, maybe not. I'd like to know what your bass sounds like out of your 80s (with the 600 off) at different volume levels compared to before.

I will try turning the EP600 off and running the M80s at full bandwidth. I've been playing with their crossover a bit, but I'm not sure I can hear a difference yet. Right now it's sitting at 50 Hz after trying 40, 60, and 80.

What do you consider LOUD? So far I don't think the average has been above 80-90 dB. I don't know about peaks.

CV #158307 09/24/07 04:12 AM
You should also flip your vp150 over so it angles slightly upward towards your ears.

ps: you have to flip the grill over so the lettering is right side up..

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #158308 09/24/07 04:32 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:

You should also flip your vp150 over so it angles slightly upward towards your ears.

Hey, Randy, I just tried flipping it over, and it seems to angle it above my head by a fair amount. The tweeters are shooting more at ear level when it's right-side up.

CV #158309 09/24/07 04:58 AM
M
M
Quote:

What do you consider LOUD? So far I don't think the average has been above 80-90 dB. I don't know about peaks.

The A1400 can drive the M80s at 700W each provided that your pre-amp can drive the A1400 that hard. So that's about 117dB. I would consider that somewhat loud .

I have to tell you though that I wouldn't have the guts to crank it that much. I know it's been reported that M80s have been driven continuously with 700W (Randy even reported 1000W). Given the efficiency of these speakers, more than 550W is being liberated as heat. That's a heck of a lot of heat. Kudos to the M80s if they can really take that without altering their characteristics but I continue to remain very skeptical. I haven't actually looked at M80 drivers. Does anyone know if they have vented pole pieces?

Mojo #158310 09/24/07 05:59 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:

I have to tell you though that I wouldn't have the guts to crank it that much.

I don't think I would, either. For one, I already feel like I MUST be annoying the neighbors at times.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup