Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Remote Nightmares!
Ajax #164300 04/11/07 09:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Quote:

Steve - hard to believe that nobody has mentioned the MX-850, MX-900 or MX-950,...

Ray

Well, I'd have mentioned them, but Steve's reaction to the initial Harmony suggestion was "Those things are pricey." So, I figured he wouldn't be interested in the MX series.

I've got the Home Theater Master MX500 that came with the Big Dogs and my wife's first comment was "great, yet another remote." Now that it's programmed for everything including the light dimmer, you would have thought I invented sliced bread. I'd love to get one of the lcd touch-screen units, but this will do nicely for now.

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #164301 04/11/07 10:26 PM
local
local
Harmony 885 owner here. With wife and three girls who are all "remote control challenged". It was the perfect answer. Just like another poster mentioned ...

First comment from the wife and kids ... "oh, great yet another remote, don't we have enough .. and how much did it cost!?!?!?"

Now all my other remotes are gathering dust and all these "remote challenged" family members use the Harmony like pros.

I've had mine for about a year now so it is not one of those "gee wiz" things that they eventually just stopped using. In fact it took them about about 3 months to really start using it. Of course the fact that the other remotes suddenly were harder to find helped.

Last edited by KC23; 04/11/07 10:40 PM.
shag #164302 04/11/07 11:22 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M

I agree with Ajax. It;s most likely not an RF issue. If your IR blaster is good enough, you should not even need to use the flashers as long as the blaster is near the equipment. The IR signal just bounces all over the place.
Try not using the flashers and see what kind of results you get.

I’d love to ditch the flashers and just use the blaster fellas. Unfortunately, I didn’t think that far enough ahead when I built this house. See, my EQ rack is in the back of the room, facing into the room. I don’t have any choice with this because my HT room is a converted bedroom and the EQ rack is in a space that was going to be a closet. In other words, I just don’t have the room to do it any other way. Plus, I have a flasher on the projector that’s ceiling mounted.

I ‘think’ the higher end MRF’s with adjustable flasher output signals may be the fix I need. I’m just hesitant to put any more money into a sinking ship and I haven’t found anyone using one of the new MRF’s that can confirm my hopes or suspicions of failure.

PDXGuy #164303 04/12/07 02:51 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Wow, I'm gone for a few days and this thread has gone to three pages. My deep thanks to all of you; great education here for me, and I sincerely appreciate it. I've learned a lot from all of you!

Price, really, isn't a deciding factor. What it amounts to is the more it's going to cost, the longer I'll have to wait. $300 forces a month is all.

Again, many thanks for your contribution in ideas and experience.

Very kind regards,

Steve Axiom M60v2, VP100v2, SVS SB12-Plus Yamaha HTR-5990, Oppo DV-981HD Samsung LN-S4692D
shag #164304 04/12/07 01:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I agree with Ajax. It;s most likely not an RF issue. If your IR blaster is good enough, you should not even need to use the flashers as long as the blaster is near the equipment. The IR signal just bounces all over the place.

Actually, a flasher is handy if you have something in a glass doored cabinet and one devices sensor is in a blind spot due to a handle or placement problems.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
shag #164305 04/12/07 06:40 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
More agreement here. Introducing something additional in th emix can be a bit troublesome.

Ray3 #164306 08/05/07 02:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Old thread revived here.

I really like this Logitech Harmony 890 remote but i have two issues with it:

1) It is so slick through the centre that gripping it makes it difficult to hold in one hand and press high or low buttons without having it slide back to the centre of your palm.

2) Why in St. Murphy's name must i ALWAYS have an internet connection to program it?
Heaven forbid i'm on dialup or for that matter, or am a country yokel without internet but one who owns a HT setup because getting into town for a bloody movie is too damn far!!
There should be the option to connect to the net when searching for equipment codes and such, but the programming of the unit should be based out of the home computer, not solely via the net.
I guess this is one remote i cannot recommend to my rural located, dialup-only-option father.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #164307 08/06/07 12:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you don't mind programming it yourself, I have the URC 300 with the programmable touch screen. While not 'necessary' I love that you can make and label your own touch screen buttons. It accepts preset codes if you know them, but I prefer to have it learn the buttons I want, where I want them, so that they stay consistent among the different devices. Macro sizes are crazy big.

It does take a long time to set up, but once it is done, things are PERFECT!

This is an older model, I think they have similar ones that are a bit easier to set up and make back ups via a PC now.

Not suggesting this is the brand to buy, just pointing out I agree with you. I'd rather spend some time programming and have it just the way I want it than have the ease of programming via the web.

The Harmonies do have their place though. I bought one for my mother in law and set it up for her. Her needs were simple. Switch from Sat. TV to DVD and back without getting confused with the 3 remotes. (TV sound only) It did a superb job of making things easy for her and the setup time was minimal for me.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters