Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: VP150 bass weaker than itty bitty Bose?
drew88 #172627 07/17/07 06:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

I was told a thing or two about Bose being really lousy, and they certaintly don't compare to my axioms, but they're not all that terrible, just way too pricey.
I live in College Point in Queens, New York. I'd love for someone to let me know if there is something wrong with my center channel, that'd be a great deal of help.

Ah. I was just down there on sunday wish i had known. Not sure when i would be in the area again but if you dont have it resolved maybe i could bring my VP150 down for you to compare.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
snakeyes #172628 07/18/07 01:18 AM
D
drew88 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
That would be great, of course I wouldn't want to impose. Whenever you're in the area you send me a PM and I'll make myself available to your convenience.

The high-end shrillness is only on certain movies, most recently while watching Letters From Iwo Jima it seemed like every other word the tweeter was making some annoying crackling noise. It also happens very loudly while playing Fight Night Round 3 while trainers are speaking. This also happens while watching most older and poorly mixed movies.

I have to quickly add also, Axioms forums maybe the most informative and friendly audio/visual related board I've ever visited. A friend of mine commented that if I had gone to most other boards and made those comments regarding Bose, people wouldn't even have responded and certaintly not as kindly as you all have. I have to admit, I'm not a frequenter of most forums, so I have to ask...Why does everyone have such animosity towards Bose? I know it has something to do with them being overrated or whatever but I hear its a little more deeply rooted than that. So what is the story behind all that?

drew88 #172629 07/18/07 02:59 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The biggest issue I have with Bose is that they continue to push "Better sound through research" but they haven't researched sound since the introduction of the 601 Series II in 1984. This in my opinion was the last decent-sounding speaker that Bose made.

Whatever research Bose is conducting today certainly has nothing to do with sound. I'm sure though they research material and labor productivity. Prices have been climbing and materials and workmanship are cheaper than ever. They still continue to use paper (untreated) drivers and foam surrounds. And the same 4", $2 speakers that were used in TVs from the 60s are still used as tweeters in their speakers. And they still don't publish specs on their speakers because their frequency response curves would make people nauseous I'm sure. They really ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!

I honestly don't understand how anyone can get up in the morning and go to work for their speaker division.

Mojo #172630 07/18/07 04:00 AM
If <political figure whose name rhymes with tush> can wake up and go to work in the morning, anyone can.

pmbuko #172631 07/18/07 04:15 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
He has the power of head vacancy, though.

drew88 #172632 07/18/07 10:38 AM
My dislike of Bose is similar to my dislike of Monster Cable:

They over-market themselves to convince consumers that don't know any better that their brand is above reproach. Many consumers will spend 5X more than necessary on these products as opposed to comparable ones from other companies because they think "with the Bose or Monster name on it, it's gotta be the best"....when that's not at all true.

To me, it's almost akin to the snake oil companies, though not quite as flagrant. "It's better because we tell you it's better." A knowledgeable consumer who has done some research won't bite, but the person who "trusts" that Bose or Monster Cable name often won't research it at all. "It's a lot more expensive, so it must be better!"

Disclaimer: If someone IS familiar with the "opposing viewpoint" on these products, but still chooses to purchase them because of the unobtrusiveness of the speakers or they like the sound or form-factor of the system or the cool gold plating on the cable connectors, more power to them. It's a free country, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's the deception part that bugs me!

Sorry about the rant, I just really dislike false and misleading advertising.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #172633 07/18/07 02:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Quite frankly, I don’t understand the bad rap Bose gets. It’s clear that Bose main product is the ‘almost invisible’ cube speaker. Who has the best product in that market by far? Bose. They make an average sounding system w/ an absurdly small footprint. Now, to be honest, I’m no expert or have done much research on that market section to know all their competitors. Most of the audio people shun that market segment, but I see it as a completely valid one. I personally value more sound quality than , shall I say, WAF but I understand why people would choose small tiny cubes.
Now Monster cables… I’m w/ you on that one.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #172634 07/18/07 03:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Who has the best product in that market by far? Bose.

Not even remotely, there are several companies that have received very high acclaim for there satellite systems, Anthony Gallo Round Sound and Orb Audio to name a couple, there are also many other good satellite systems out there.
You would be hard pressed to find a reputable review of a Bose system since the industry knows what they are all about.
I fell for their marketing and hype about 15 years ago and owned a Bose sytem, and to be honest, at the time I thought they were great. Now that I know better I realize you can get a far superior satellite system for less than half the cost.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #172635 07/18/07 03:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The HSU satellite system has received alot of high reviews, for only $299, it beats the crap outa bose!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #172636 07/18/07 03:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
True, they are way bigger though.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945