Rating: 5
Looking to move up to the next level of craziness
#174450 08/14/07 06:51 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
That being, electrostatic speakers.

I started my venture into hi-fi audio with a budget when I was 16.. I only had enough for a b stock pair of axiom m22ti, a hsu stf-2, and a harman kardon hk3480 receiver.

Not the best, but compared to any best buy/circuit city nonsense.. it was the bomb. The Polk/Athena/Klipsch/JBL nonsense got owned.

Then I gave that setup to my dad as a birthday present a year later and got the Thiel CS3.6 used to celebrate finding a new job, and an Adcom GFA-555 MKII, Awesome. Amazing. A year later, I still have to wonder how much more accurate it can get. Totally unfair comparison of the Axioms to the Thiels due to the price point(11x retail), but the sound was amazing.

I've heard a ton of normal, dynamic moving coil loudspeakers. Call me insane, but I haven't heard better than this pair of Thiel CS3.6. My main interest above all else is accuracy. I don't care if it makes the material sound worse, I want to know that what I am hearing is correct assuming the room is treated.

So I want to move onto a whole new kind of loudspeaker, since I don't see how I can really jump to the "next level" with moving coil loudspeakers. The upgrade from a sony tape player to the axioms, and from the axioms to the thiels as far as accuracy goes was huge, and I want to make that same jump with the next toy I buy.

I'd like to be able to buy used.. I really don't want to buy new. I'd like them to have a bottom - I no longer have the sub. I don't need 15 hz rumble, but if I can't hear 32 hz, I don't want 'em. and, lastly, I'd like to be able to get them for what I can sell the Thiels for. They're not in perfect condition as far as the cabinet not being scratched goes, and one dust cap has a dent in it, but they sound as perfect as a store pair.

I was wondering if any of you people had a similar equipment upgrade path to me and already went there, and if so, had any advice.

Re: Looking to move up to the next level of craziness
Thasp #174451 08/15/07 12:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thasp, I'd like to help you out, but I have no experience with electrostats. For a short while I had some Monsoon computer speakers. That's about as close as I can get.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Thasp #174452 08/15/07 12:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thasp, I have a pair of Thiel CS 3.6's. They are incredible speakers. They provide me with everything I need from a speaker, although they are not an easy load to drive.

I suppose if I were to upgrade from the Thiels it would be either a larger pair of Thiels (someone on this board has the CS 7.somethings) or some Avantgard Acoustic Uno Horns.

I think it'd be the big horns.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 08/15/07 01:04 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Re: Looking to move up to the next level of crazin
2x6spds #174453 08/15/07 06:08 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Tell me about it! That HK went into current protection so fast on bass heavy music. My Marantz 1060 didn't, too bad the potentiometer for the volume is totally stuck at this point and Denon can't send me a new one..

I now use the computer's M-Audio DAC and an Adcom amp. These speakers are nothing easy. Bass heavy stuff or loud metal makes it ridiculously hot and last year while sitting down on, idling, after some Massive Attack, it popped and went on fire. Cost $350 for repair, all the solder melted and spilled everywhere inside which caused even more fire at the time. :/

All worth it for the sound of these. Real is the only way I can say it, put these next to anything else, and these aren't good, or bad. They're a benchmark. It's like listening to a recording vs listening to the real thing.

I'll look into the Avantgards and see if there's anyplace in Manhattan I can find to demo them. I've been considering the Thiel CS3.7 as well but this is the same kind of speaker, since I've read initial impressions say they kill the 7.2. Or, I was thinking of getting some M60s to use as surrounds with an EP500.. but I think electrostats are where I'd like to go.

Thasp #174454 08/15/07 07:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Holy Samolies! What burst into flames, the amp or the speakers? The amp I presume?!?

Good thing you were in the room when that happened. I've left my systems on while puttering in the yard, or downstairs ... that'd be a rude and dangerous surprise to find your upstairs aflame.

BTW, the Yamaha M80s don't even work up a sweat driving the Thiel CS 3.6's. They are great amps.

2x6spds #174455 08/16/07 05:52 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
The amp.

It's not plastic shit so the metal got hot ut it never melted. I would have not even noticed it on fire if it didn't pop.. it was contained inside the unit. I unplugged it, which did nothing. If it's playing music, it'll stay on at the same volume, distortion level, and quality for 15 seconds before it quickly fades off. So it was on fire for about 20 seconds after I unplugged it.. during which time I'm sure the board melted itself beyond anything I can solder back together myself. poor amp.

It's about 20 years old so I guess it was just time.

Thasp #174456 08/16/07 04:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great F'g Amp 555, RIP.

2x6spds #174457 08/17/07 08:45 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
RIP? No rest for that bitch - it got repaired, and right back into rotation. Then it went on fire again, but this time it was something I could clean myself with my own iron and wiring since I caught it early.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a working Marantz 1060, since my current one has a messed up volume pot and I can't get Denon to send me a new one.

Thasp #174458 08/31/07 07:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Thasp, sorry but you are trapped in the hobby of audio...and it never lets go of you!!! LOL

If I read your post correctly, you want "better" than your Thiels, for the price of your Thiels on the open market. You have identified used as you target market, and that may be the only way to satisfy your urge to "move up"

But I question your direction for technology of speaker. There are numerous speaker manufacturers that produce excellent "moving coil speakers" (to quote your post). I think you are concerned that a technology is holding you back, and really should investigate some of the truly amazing speakers on the market - regardless of technological design.

I worry less about the technology producing the music, and focus on finding the sound you like best. While electrostatics can be fine speakers, I have never heard one that rivals some of the top level traditional designs - in my opinion.

I would say that you have done a good job of finding your way through the audio landscape to this point.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,031 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup