Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New room questions for the most helpful forum!!
#185845 11/28/07 12:21 AM
J
jon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
J
Hello all, I have been gone awhile. I see some of the same familiar names, and that's a great thing. Well, we are finally building the new home, and I know that this is the most helpful and very educated forum I could remember \:D So I was hopeing those that are well versed in "room issues" could maybe enlighten me with some important questions I am pondering presently. I will be running my mansfield beach 22s in the master bedroom of the new home. And will use my M/B QS-8's in the main room. I have however gone with Martin Logan fronts and rears (don't hate me :D) but I am pretty convinced on new Axioms for the back enclosed patio area/linai that is 52x12. Is Alan still here? I know he was beyond smart on this stuff!!

OK her's my deal - After 25 years in s. florida we are building a new home and while working with the main room which will be the music/HT room I am trying to figure out some placement issues.

The room is pretty good sized but poses some issues. The room is 24x17 with the speakers front and back going on the 17 walls. There are 10ft ceilings but an additional 18" rise in a recessed ceiling in the 24x17 room. I plan on mounting the QS-8's on the 18" recessed ceiling inner vertical wall. That would put them about 6 ft each on the side of the couch and the bottom driver 10-2 in from the floor, and the top driver about about 9 to 10" below the top of the recessed ceiling which will be 11.5 ft tall. Is this to high, and is the top driver too close at 9 to 10"??? Or can I just increase the db with the sunfire processor set-up givin the incresed height. (I hope I am not making this too confusing) the one side of this 24ft room is open (totally open other than the tray ceiling design-but totally open on the floor area to the kitchen and dining areas. So the room is in a sense 33.5x24 if that makes sense to invision it. the TV (a new 65" diamond mitsubishi 1080dlp will be built into the wall on the 17 wall and will have a slight 2 to 4" reveal off the wall, and the ML Asents to be placed right and left of the TV. Also 2 SVS subs on that wall (39 ultra cylinders) My wife wants to semi built in the Asents because there is a dedicated "media room" and they are huge - directly behind this 17 wall that runs almost the length of the 17 wall. Wouldn't that really hinder the sound of the Asents as they are electrostatics??? How close to the wall can/should they go???

In all, how good or bad does this room seem to be for sound givin the size and open-ness of the area which is 33.5x24 even though the equipment room area is 24x17??? We are working right now on the plans with the architect so I have some flexability to make changes, but that needs to be the basis of the area pretty much. BTW the floors will be wood in the entire 33.5x24 area if that matters.

my equipment is (2) front asents (2) SVS ultra subs (2) aerius rears and (2) axiom QS-8 side top monted surrounds. Sunfire signature 2 channel @ 425 wattsx2 and 5 channel @ 425 wattsx5 amps and sunfire Grand theater-4 processor.

The idea of "building in" the Logans seem to be bad I think??? and having them close to the wall is probably my best compromise - but what is too close??? Are the QS-8's at 10 ft+ too high??? any help or advise (or critisism) anyone can offer would really be appreciated on these upcoming challenges. These are some pretty big issues in trying to get the plans doneThe house is just noth of Daytona in flagler county and about 2500 under air s/f CBS structure. Thanks in advance - everyone here has always been great - sorry so long but once again I know ig anyone could help me out it is the people on this forum. Jon

Last edited by jon; 11/28/07 12:36 AM.
Re: New room questions for the most helpful forum!!
jon #185861 11/28/07 03:33 AM
shareholder in the making
Jonathan, welcome back. See that you're still in Florida, but where you been the past couple years? Sure, Alan is still with us and replies when he has the chance. We won't hate you(well, maybe a little for those MLs), but your description of the proposed arrangement is a bit hard to follow. For the first point, the QS8s as side surrounds in a 7.1 setup should ideally be about 2-3' above ear level and directly to the side of the listening position. Alan has just recently re-emphasized their placement flexibility, however, and if you have to place them as described(you might clarify the description a bit), they wouldn't really have any problem simply because of being too close to the ceiling.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

jon #185872 11/28/07 12:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jon - It looks like you have the makings of a fine room with some very nice equipment. While I have no direct experience with electrostats, I have read that they are very particular about placement and need space behind them to sound their best. If you build them in, make sure that you have listened to them extensively in your planned location beforehand. The QS8s are very forgiving in their placement. Good luck!

JohnK #185879 11/28/07 02:18 PM
J
jon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
J
Thanks JohnK, good to hear from you again! I am still and will be in Florida 43 years now. Just getting away from all the traffic and hassles of west vpalm beach, it's time to go. Moving to a very rural area with land should be a refreshing change.

The main thing is the music/HT room has no wall on the long 24 ft side, you walk into the room and it's 17 deep (and 24 wide) but there is no wall on the back side of the 24 wall, no divider, making the open area really 33.6 deep x 24 wide. just a hall on each side that defines that 17x24 area. therefore there is no wall to hang any 7.1 side surronds. It goes right into the kitchen and dining area. I hope this pic helps and can be viewed properly.

The shaded area is are not walls - but a recessed ceiling for a more open dramatic look, it's 18" taking the 10 ft ceiling to 11.5 only in the shaded area. The 90 degree 18" side of the recessed ceiling gives me the only way to hang 7.1 surrounds. in other words they will be housed in the lower secting of that recessed shaded boxed ceiling. Actully for looks I think the QS08's will "fit" this look better than most surrounds due to their design. Hope it's not more confusing now!! \:D

Last edited by jon; 11/28/07 02:49 PM.
jon #185901 11/28/07 05:31 PM

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #185988 11/28/07 11:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Jon, welcome back ... for the life of me I can't imagine why on earth you'd ever want to leave the great city of West Palm Beach??? \:\)

That's why I choose to do the 4 hour drive to and from Bell Glade everyday, several years ago we looked in Wellington but we're now quite happy we didn't make the move ... congrats on the new home! We're still off of A1A near Disney (Vero), if you decide to drop in on the way up you're more than welcome.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #185994 11/29/07 12:10 AM
J
jon Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
J
Hey Rick, how have you been? Glad to see you here (man I love the loyalty of this gang) How's everything up in the air? Yup, can't take ol' palm beach county anymore. Where we are going is what it USED to be like here about 25 years ago. If ya can't beat em - flea em' I quess. We go by there a fair amount on the bike and on 4 wheels, and probably more over the next 8 months. We are in the permit stage, with land clearing and culvert/fill to start hopefully after the 1st of the year. We have a couple of acres with very little around us. It's paved roads at least, and we can still be at Flagler beach and A1A within 10 minutes without 50 traffic lights, maybe 1 or 2 the whole way!!! Man, your set-up looks absolutly stunning!!! Very nice. I hope to see/hear it, I'll be making that ride of about 3 hours each way to the new home site more than a few times. I got to tell ya brother, I don't think I could ever drive a 4 hour round trip each day, I am dreading the upcoming occasional 6 hour trips during the building stages. I am actully looking at throwing an old camper on the lot for temp housing.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup