I have read in several reviews of the Axiom speakers that the cabinets are not "genuine wood," rather, vinyl-covered something. I haven't found anything on your site that tells about this aspect of the product. I am both an amateur audiophile and avid cabinet maker, so such construction details interest me greatly. Can you give any information as to why you don't use veneered plywoods, or solid wood, without giving up any trade secrets? Perhaps an article on different types of cabinet construction used in the industry in general, and which are found to be better (and why) would interest other readers besides myself. Thanks for all the "fyi" articles on the Axiom site.

Regards,

Martin
(former native of "northern" Ontario -- South River -- nearly 40 years ago)

------------------------------------

Hello Martin,

About 95% of loudspeakers, including Axioms, are constructed of 3/4-inch MDF (medium-density fiberboard) because it is one of the most acoustically dense or opaque materials available. You do not want the speaker enclosure surfaces or material to resonate--to be set into vibration by the musical frequencies. (This is the opposite of what takes place in acoustical musical instruments like the violin, cello, guitar, etc., where the resonating character of the instument's wood gives the instrument its characteristic timbre or tone.)

If a wooden speaker enclosure does this, it "colors" the sound by adding its own tonal signature, which lessens the musical accuracy of the speaker. A fine loudspeaker should be a neutral and transparent reproducer of the audio signals fed to it. It should NOT add its own colorations, or resonances, which in effect are distortions of the instrumental sounds it is attempting to reproduce or mimic.

MDF is denser and less resonant than plywood or solid wood. Our basic Axiom models bond synthetic vinyl material to the MDF that looks like wood grain. You'll find our real-wood veneers in the Axiom custom shop, where there is huge range of choice.

Interestingly, early in its history, in the 1980s/early '90s, all of Axiom's speakers used real-wood veneer, but we dropped that because of competitive pressures and lack of demand. Axiom's current synthetic vinyl-wrap finishes are remarkably real-looking, not like the cheesy vinyl finishes of the 1980s. We do tell customers when asked on the toll-free line or in emails what the speakers are made of. And you can order free samples of any of the wood/vinyl finishes or real-wood veneers with grille cloth attached.

The vinyl-wrap finishes are very economical compared to real wood veneers. It lets us market speakers of wonderful sound quality for much less money than comparably good speakers from our competitors, some of whose products have real-wood veneers--and greatly elevated prices. For example, Axiom's top of the line tower speaker, the M80 v2, is $1330/pair US, including shipping, and is comparable or superior in accuracy and sound quality to Energy's Veritas 2.4i (a Canadian competitor), which retails for $4,000US per pair. The Veritas is sold in real-wood veneers.

Kind regards,

Alan