Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Faux finish questions...
pmbuko #196160 02/13/08 12:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I painted for about 6 years during high school and parts of college. Started out doing apartments so of course no faux finishes there (just plain 'ol white.) In the end, I ended up doing new construction painting and remodels of some very nice homes, and as a result experimented with a few faux finishes. Many of these were in the $500,000 to $1,000,000 range (the houses not the finishes ;\) ) which is a LOT in oklahoma. I found a general trend that the more expensive the home, the more faux finishes they wanted. One guy even wanted each room a different color, and the ceiling had to be tinted the color of the room.... MY clothes looked like a rainbow after that one!

Anyway, enough nonsense... I have two favorites that I will mention

The faux suede from sherwin williams is really cool.

link here:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yo...ques/softsuede/

It is really easy, just time consuming. The instructions say to roll on a coat, then come back and brush overlapping "X's" all over the wall.

Instead of dipping the brush 5 million times, we rolled the walls once and let it dry. Then we came back and rolled a second time, with someone comming behind and "X'ing" the wet just rolled paint. You have to be careful not get to far ahead of the guy X'ing if you are the one rolling though. this way is a lot easier but still very time consuming and tedious. The look is very nice in the end. I have done some tan(typical suede color), pale yellow, green, and red versions. I think out of all of these the suede color was my favorite, and the red was my least favorite (allthough it was still pretty cool looking). The green and yellow looked pretty good too.

Another really cool (but even more time consuming) finish is venetian plaster by behr.
link here : http://www.behr.com/behrx/expert/activity.jsp?aid=616&subnav=interior&leftNav=noSteps

This is actually put on with a mud knife instead of a paintbrush. IT is the consistency of runny silly putty. You basically need to paint the wall the same shade as the plaster (but make it quite a bit lighter.) Then you go through and randomly smear the stuff on the wall (thinly)with no rhyme or reason. be sure you are leaving wall showing through inbetween your smears. Then you come back and skim coat the entire wall with a thin coating. Then you come back and skim a clear coat over the entire wall. Then you come back and 'burnish' it by rubbing your mud knife over the entire wall in a circular motion. This takes a VERY long time to do. It is also a little difficult to get everything to match if you have different people doing the troweling. The first time we did this we had 4 guys, each on there own wall... and each wall came out different because we each had our own techniques... Also once you start a wall you pretty much have to finish it, beacause if you come back later you will not be able to match what you were doing.

I reccomend trying it in a closet or on some spare drywall to see how it looks first.

The end result is VERY cool, and the walls are slick to the touch.

I have never been a fan of sponge finishes because if you don't do it right it looks way too 'busy'

When I buy a house I plan on doing venetian plaster in the kitchen, and suede on the office or bedroom.
Sorry this was so long!

The problem with both of these finishes is that if you decide to paint it a regular color later you pretty much have to re-skim the wall with drywall mud and sand it. the reason being that the venetian plaster is so slick, and the suede is a little rough to the touch because they have some sand in it.

-David
terzaghi #196261 02/13/08 06:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I did the Sherwin-Williams suede look in my listening room. I used their recommended three step method that terzaghi mentioned though. It took two full days for a 13 x 17 foot room. I will attempt to post a picture or two.

David

I guess that you can't see the finish very well!

davidsch #196267 02/13/08 07:21 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
From what we can see it looks good.

I think I might be doing something like that in the very near future.

Any problems with the sub so close to the TV? There have been a few posts recently about the subs causing issues on the TV when the subs start working hard.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #196272 02/13/08 08:14 PM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for all of the suggestions, tips and heads up regarding the finish ... looks like it may more than what I'm ready to bargain for but I may go ahead and give it try.

Great links Terghazi and very nice room David!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #196380 02/14/08 06:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I thought that I posted my reply yesterday but I do not see it so here goes again.

Jason - I have no issues with the sub being that close to the TV.
Rick - Thanks for the kind words. I am pleased with the results even if it was a bit of a pain to do. It looks better in person than in the picture.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (2x6spds), 1,204 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup