Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is "reference" volume?
JohnK #207534 05/09/08 12:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I run the calibration tones from my Denon, they produce tones very close to 75 db. I think Avia's maybe give me 85. Can't remember which is which. I then adjust so all my speakers hit 75. (OK , I actually give the center an extra 1 db and the surrounds 1.5 as this seems to work best for me.) Some would then say 75db is my reference level.

Now when I actually play music or movies where I want to enjoy the dynamics and my wife is not asleep, the dial is most often set at -25. If I recall, this often gives me an average sound level of 75 to 80 db. However, this seems to vary from DVD to DVD I have. This works well for me for most movies and music.

If I'm showing off, I might try for an average of 80db. This normally gives me some very loud peaks but they rarely breach 105db. I don't enjoy stuff over 105 except in very short bursts. I have seen it reach 115 at this setting a few times though. Pretty cool as long is it doesn't last too long.

I might be admitting extra nerdiness but because some DVDs seem to be recorded at different levels, I actually used a sharpie to mark the optimal volume dial setting on certain DVDs that I use for showing off to friends. That way they are not effected by me going louder or softer as I try to find an impressive but comfortable level.

My point? Almost forgot. I think I just wanted to mention that because CDs and DVDs are often recorded at different levels to begin with, you will never be able to put away the volume remote because it will always need adjusting, even if you know your 'reference level'.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: What is "reference" volume?
Murph #207778 05/11/08 02:39 PM
buff
buff
Hi guys:

I was confused about the reference level and am still not sure I fully understand it. I believe that when you play the calibration level (pink noise) through the receiver it is adjusting the 0dB level on the receiver to 75dB sound (in your room). When I play the calibration signals on my Denon, the receiver is automatically setting the "volume control" to 0 dB during the calibration. This is actually indicated on the front display. I never noticed until it was pointed out to me and I had to look closely at the display to see the 0dB setting.
The calibration allows the receiver to detect the recording levels of a DVD, automatically adjust (offset)the receiver for different recording levels and thus correct for these differences.

The 75 dB output of the calibration signal at a volume setting of 0dB is a way of calibrating the receiver. It does not mean that when playing a DVD the speakers will output 75 dB if the volume level of the receiver is set to 0 dB. Far from this, setting the volume to 0dB will generally produce ear-splitting sound.

From what I understand, none of this is applicable to music. This because music recording is not standardized and the level at which any particular CD, SACD or DVDA is recorded is highly variable.

maphiker
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020