Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Peter Jackson confirms Blu-ray Lord of the Rings
HomeDad #209786 05/29/08 12:33 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You mean I might have to watch them again?? I think I'll wait for the holographic remaster.

Re: Peter Jackson confirms Blu-ray Lord of the Ri
pmbuko #209795 05/29/08 02:04 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I almost purchased the original Star Wars Trilogy a couple years ago when they came out with the editions that had the original theatrical versions and the new doctored versions. I immediately purchases these dvd's when I saw them in the store. I'm glad I decided to check and see if these versions of the star wars trilogy were good copies online before I opened them (I used dvdcompare.net which is an amazing site). The original versions were not remastered ones, but copies off of the old full screen laserdisc's. Well, they were returned to the store. Who is Lucas trying to please with this half-assed cut and paste job, I surely wasn't. I hope that if the new Blu-ray versions of these come out then they will rectify this problem. Hopefully this is what we are waiting for. We are waiting for good high def transfers of both the theatrical and doctored versions with a good uncompressed audio option for both. If that is the case then it should be the last Star Wars that fans will ever have to buy. It can't get much better than that. Blade Runner just got better treatment than what I am asking for this past year (thankfully), so why not Star Wars.

- Nick

Murph #209796 05/29/08 02:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph

George Lucas, I give you one last chance. I'm going to see Indiana Jones tonight. I am confident or at least hopeful that Spielberg will be able to pull your butt out of the Sesame Street like world you fell into.

Good luck with that, perhaps choose a different film that involves george lucas if you are giving him one last chance...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
jakewash #209804 05/29/08 02:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

I am going to nab a bluray player soon... just waiting until a good model is out at a reasonable price.
Isn't that the 40gb PS3 or at least that's what Sony wants you to believe.

I am probably going to pick up a PS3 in the states for my blu-ray player. The only thing that it doesn't do at the moment is internally decode DTS-HD Master audio codec. I believe that once more films are released with this, Sony will release a firmware update with this capability.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
medic8r #209805 05/29/08 02:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Murph, you nailed it. "Sesame Street" is a good descriptor. It seems that today you much insert burps and farts into any movie to cater to kids. Remember the original Star Wars movies? People loved them for the new creative ideas and story telling, not because Yoda passed gas, or because C3PO "oiled" himself.

The "remakes," as I call them, of EP4, 5, & 6 all have these dumb background "events" that are stupid. The jawa falling off that lizard creature in Mos Isley, or the random burps and farts that they added. Stupid!

As for Indy, I enjoyed the movie, but keep in mind that the previous Indy movies all had a certain level of satire and comedy to them that people today tend to have forgotten about. Sure, he is 20 years older, but he is Indiana Jones! He can still kick butt! The situations that they are in no real person would survive, but this is Indiana Jones! If you wanted reality, you wouldn't be watching this flick.

SPOILER (sort of) ALERT. STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY HINTS ABOUT THE MOVIE!!!!
There is a general "far fetched" (depending on your thoughts on certain "historical" events from 1947 in Roswell, NM) theme here that has never been touched in an Indy film before. In the past it was the Ark, then the Sankara Stones, then the Holy Grail, now Crystal Skulls, but they sure don't look "human"...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Hutzal #209806 05/29/08 02:57 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Hutzal,

I think you are mistaken about the dts master audio on the PS3. With firmware update 2.30 it can now decode dts ma and send it as pcm over hdmi. I updated my PS3 about a month ago. It can now internally decode all of the new audio formats and send to as pcm over hdmi. They sound very good by the way. I just watched the new Rambo last night in dts ms and it sounded great. It is official, the PS3 is now the best and cheapest blu-ray player around.

- Nick

Nick B #209807 05/29/08 03:09 PM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The PS3 does do DTS Master audio, they came out with another upgrade to 2.35 on May 15, I'm not exactly sure what it does.
I watched the new Rambo also the other night in DTS Master 7.1, good sound, very graphic, also the first time I've ever seen a claymore explode like a small nuke \:D

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
nickbuol #209808 05/29/08 03:11 PM
HomeDad Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Quote:
As for Indy, I enjoyed the movie,

I took the boys last Thur. to see it, we all really enjoyed it.
I think other than the original this was my favorite of the series.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #209809 05/29/08 03:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am pleasantly suprised that it decodes DTS-HD MA. THe AVS boards must be out of sync with real life, I have seen nothing on those boards about this update. Sweet!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #209855 05/29/08 08:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the PS3 will be too loud... plus i am not sure if I can swing another gaming system past the GF. I really don't want to have to watch bluray movies with the controller though. I actually like my denon 3808 remote and use it for my hd dvd player... would like to do the same with a bluray player.

I haven't completely ruled out the ps3 as a bluray player...

Last edited by terzaghi; 05/29/08 08:07 PM.

-David
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020