Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Head to Head compare...Just asking don't attack me
#21036 10/01/03 10:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Davey, about two months ago, I went over to a buddy's house (that I get together with about 3 times a year). He has an entry level Onkyo 5.1 receiver, and to my surprise, a complete set of Fluance speakers. I have no idea which models they were, where he got them, or what he paid.

Before I post my thoughts, you should know a few things. First, I own the Axiom M80's, which are an amazing speaker. As much as I try to remain unbiased when listening to new speakers, I do generally tend to be disappointed. Secondly, we did not do any "serious" listening - just threw in Fleetwood Mac's concert DVD of "The Dance". I have watched this countless times on my system, so I am very familiar with it. Thirdly, his speaker positioning was not ideal, as I could never find the "sweet spot", no matter where I stood or sat.

Here goes......
My initial impression when I first saw them was "economy". The cabinets were finished in a black vinyl veneer that seemed no better than speakers from an all-in-one system from Wal-Mart. No comparison to the "seamless" Axiom cabinets. I popped off the grill to find much more impressive and expensive looking drivers. Not the aluminum variety found in Axiom, but nice looking none the less.

Listening......
The thing that stood out the most was how small and shallow the soundstage was. Whereas I am used to a massive soundstage, there was none with these. No matter where I stood, they just wouldn't "open up".

The bass was pleasantly tight and not over bloated - similar to the 80's, just lacking the dynamnic impact and accuracy I am used to. Still acceptable - better than others I've heard.

The mid's & hi's were not bad, just lifeless. Lead guitar came through ok, but Lindsay & Steve's vocals seemed "flat". There was no sparkle, no magic. No sense that you were listening to something special. This is the complete opposite impression people have when they listen to the M80's.

Overall, for my buddy, they are fine. He seems happy with them, and that is all that matters. They play far better than their cabinet fit and finish suggests. For me, if I could get a set cheap enough, they would be a perfect first speaker for when my daughter turns 9 or 10.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#21037 10/01/03 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

For me, if I could get a set cheap enough, they would be a perfect first speaker for when my daughter turns 9 or 10.

Wow... You are going to give her a real head start in audiophile training! Don't spoil her too much.

My 16-year-old daughter still does not stop turning the bass control knob to the max on everything she has her hands on, from her boombox to her car stereo to her CD/MP3 player, despite the semi-constant gentle "advice" from me suggesting that she is destroying the music by doing so. LOL LOL

#21038 10/01/03 05:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Masa, she is already on her way. She is 4 and seems to like all different kinds of music. (Currently, I am sick of that Fleetwood Mac DVD because she plays it constantly.) She knows where I keep my downloaded music on the computer, and has no problem opening the files, changing directories, and adjusting volume. (I do not use any type of jukebox software) I have the sound card on the computer connected to the main stereo, and she refuses to play music through the computer speakers. Makes me smile. On my integrated amp, she knows that under no circumstances is the volume to be past "here". YES, I let my 4 year old touch the stereo! I have taught her the proper operation and respect required. Far better than forbiding her and then having her touch it behind my back.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#21039 10/01/03 06:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi real80sman,

Nice to hear that about your 4-year-old. I did the same thing when my son was 3 or 4 (I just found a photo of him wearing a pair of Koss PortaPros at 3) and he always treated my components with care, including two turntables, one high end (he's 21 now and collects vinyl but also CDs). Like you say, you don't have to "forbid" children to touch A/V gear--just patiently teach them to use it with care.

Hey, Fluance rhymes with Nuance. I've never heard Fluance. I talked to a guy in Brooklyn who told me the Fluance were amazing at dirt cheap prices, but he upgraded to Axiom.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#21040 10/01/03 06:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

YES, I let my 4 year old touch the stereo!

And she won't poke around the tweeter dome like somebody's idiot roommate, right?

In reply to:

I have taught her the proper operation and respect required. Far better than forbiding her and then having her touch it behind my back.

When I was in your daughter's age, my father did exactly the opposite -- he strictly forbade me to touch his brand new LP set (Beethoven Symphonies No.1~9 by Karajan/BPO). Of course, that highly motivated me the evil boy, and I played the LPs again and again behind his back. Good or bad, for me this secret experience made an excellent introduction to orchestral music... In the end, I practically ruined his entire LP set by overplaying them (which I still have here in Dallas) -- I am sure he knew but he never ever reprimanded me for this little "criminal act." I have a great respect on his big heart. Well, maybe everything went exactly according to his plan...

#21041 10/01/03 08:05 PM
shareholder in the making
sushi,

What kind of music is your daughter ruining by "over-bassing" it? Are you sure it's not acutally improving it my making it harder to listen to?

#21042 10/01/03 08:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good point, Peter...

#21043 10/01/03 10:49 PM
I just have to disagree. NO music benefits from too much bass. Trust me, I've got neighbors who listen to mariachi at high volumes/high bass.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#21044 10/01/03 11:04 PM
Are you sure it's Mariachi music? I think you're probably lumping all Mexican music into one category. I mean, there's ranchero and mariachi, but there's also, banda, grupero, conjunto (a.k.a. música norteña), orquesta, and La Onda Chicana (a.k.a. The Chicano Wave).

(Google can sure make you look smart! )

#21045 10/01/03 11:13 PM
I actually know it's not mariachi. I think I actually like Maraichi. What they're playing is the kind with tubas and accordians. I just don't remember what that kind is called.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup